Top of the world - Matt Pop summer remix

Dutch

I don't know if you have discussed this before but I cannot stop watching the Matt Pop unofficial remix of 'Top of the world'. I don't know how he gets away with it. He has also done numerous ABBA songs and .... wait for it...improved some of their songs!

The Carpenters version must be watched with the actual video of them singing it not the one with just pictures as it greatly improves the sheer enjoyment. I cannot stop laughing every time I hear it, it's so happy...and camp! I wonder what Richard must think of it, if he has heard it? anyway check it out on YouTube, just type in Matt pop and carpenters top of the world and enjoy!

I bet you can't think of how a country/pop song has been changed and into what style?

i downloaded most of ABBA's songs and a few of the video's and sort of made a cd/dvd package for myself like the deluxe reissues of their albums. But I did find one site with a really bad virus on it, so I'm a bit relunctant now to download any more, that said I'm only missing 'disillusion' and 'that's me'. I still haven't found a good place to download 'Top of the world'. i really don't want to pay for it, got the others on free downloads. After all, they are unofficial, I used to be a musicain and write songs, and the money should go to Richard, Bjorn & Benny not Matt Pop. He's brilliant, but how has he not been sued or arrested I don't know!

I recently interviewed Matt about his ABBA mixes for the upcoming edition of the ABBA Intermezzo magazine. He's a really nice guy and absolutely knows his stuff.

I know, he's brilliant! How on earth he does all that stuff with the ABBA recordings, redoing alot of the music and then remixing all the videos several times over for the different remixes. It must take up his whole life. But....how does he get away with it! Benny & bjorn are very guarded about their work, only about 3 artists have ever been able to use their songs. Benny talked about this with his son on Swedish TV in October, his son is talking over the ABBA catalogue and business. He's a nice guy and once in charge I think we will see unreleased stuff from ABBA, he even stated in the show that he has often tried to persuade his father to reform ABBA for one last time. As far as the Carpenters are concerned, I don't think Matt will do another remix as I read he thought they were too bland.

Just thought I'd resurrect an old thread to post a brand new remix by Matt Pop, who is well known among some Carpenters and ABBA circles for remixing their songs. I'm not a fan of unofficial remixes by most people but I actually really like this!

Listen to the subtle effect he uses on Karen's vocal at 2:16 on the word "strangers". Goosebumps...

Last edited:
I've listened to this about 15 times so far today :). The more I do, the more I hear Lay All Your Love On Me by ABBA. Matt is also a huge fan of theirs.

I would like to think (based on Karen's personality as we've seen in videos) that she would have got a kick out of hearing this. I'm not so sure about Richard though. I actually thought the ending from 3:20 to the end was the best part, sounded like something you might hear in a concert/stadium.

Very clever, the video is live from the BBC concert filmed in London 1971, and the audio is from the studio recording, but they sync perfectly. I've not heard of Matt before, hope he has the inspiration to remix some more Carpenters tracks. 10/10

Very clever, the video is live from the BBC concert filmed in London 1971, and the audio is from the studio recording, but they sync perfectly. I've not heard of Matt before, hope he has the inspiration to remix some more Carpenters tracks. 10/10
I totally agree with Chris. In fact 'Top of the World' has never been a favorite of mine, I never put it in my playlists, but this new remix version is like candy for my ears - love it!
'For All We Know' is another remix home run - I hope everyone checks it out and weighs in.

I have a music therapy class that I lead twice a week for the mentally and physically challenged adult class and some accompany using hand held instruments while others clap the rhythm and they go WILD over this song while we sing along. It is great to see their faces light up as if all problems are vanished from existence. Even those that have the most difficulty in coordination attempt to participate with this song. No matter how you slice it, this is a great song and this adaptive addition of Matt Pop's helps share the joy of Karen and Richard with others.
I wonder if someone can come up with a mixed in light rap influenced version of Sing similar to Love is a Beautiful Thing by Group 1 Crew.

I have a music therapy class that I lead twice a week for the mentally and physically challenged adult class and some accompany using hand held instruments while others clap the rhythm and they go WILD over this song while we sing along. It is great to see their faces light up as if all problems are vanished from existence. Even those that have the most difficulty in coordination attempt to participate with this song. No matter how you slice it, this is a great song and this adaptive addition of Matt Pop's helps share the joy of Karen and Richard with others.
I wonder if someone can come up with a mixed in light rap influenced version of Sing similar to Love is a Beautiful Thing by Group 1 Crew.

That's such an uplifting story, thank you for sharing :)

Matt's Pop re-mixes are remarkable. Someone on YouTube noted that "On paper, it shouldn't work, but it does." His Carpenters mixes (among his most popular) have a real integrity and devotion to the essence of the material that is the sign of a MasterMixer.
Matt knows the secret off a great song remix is you can re-jig the music as much as you like as long as you keep the melody uncluttered and LEAVE THE VOCALS ALONE. It's why Tristan Dee's remix of Sergio & Brasil '77's "Where Is The Love" is IMHO, superior to the original. He managed to slow the tempo to a funky groove, but even a tad slower, Gracinha and Bonnie sound the same. Unfortunately Dee has removed it from it from his SoundCloud page - I hope it turns up again somewhere soon.

I'm definitely in the minority here, but I found I didn't like either "For All We Know" or "Top of the World" remixed. I have an aversion to heavily-mixed, pulsing dance music (which probably explains why I really dislike a lot of music out now, with auto-tuning and other weird digital noises -- talk about feeling like an outlier!). I do appreciate Matt Pop's love for the Carpenters, though.

When I listen to it I appreciate the original more and enjoy the alternative style and new audience the Carpenters capture. It's a double sided blessing when done with taste!

I don't know if you have discussed this before but I cannot stop watching the Matt Pop unofficial remix of 'Top of the world'. I don't know how he gets away with it. He has also done numerous ABBA songs and .... wait for it...improved some of their songs!

The Carpenters version must be watched with the actual video of them singing it not the one with just pictures as it greatly improves the sheer enjoyment. I cannot stop laughing every time I hear it, it's so happy...and camp! I wonder what Richard must think of it, if he has heard it? anyway check it out on YouTube, just type in Matt pop and carpenters top of the world and enjoy!

I bet you can't think of how a country/pop song has been changed and into what style?
Finally got to listen to this remix, toe tapping happy music, love it. Interestingly, Karen's vocal takes centre stage throughout the remix.

Just thought I'd resurrect an old thread to post a brand new remix by Matt Pop, who is well known among some Carpenters and ABBA circles for remixing their songs. I'm not a fan of unofficial remixes by most people but I actually really like this!

Listen to the subtle effect he uses on Karen's vocal at 2:16 on the word "strangers". Goosebumps...

Hoped to revisit this great remix, never mind. The video was so amazing, complimented the remix.

I don't - I don't - I don't - I don't-i d-d-d-d-d-d-d-don't-don't-don't-don't L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-Like it. (The creator is not on this forum, is he? Otherwise I might not s-s-s-s-say it).

Don’t think Matt Pop is on this forum, but I could be wrong. Was hoping someone might have kept a copy of the For All We Know remix video and could repost it on this thread. Wasn’t it something like seven minutes long? Loved it.

Word is that Matt Pop is releasing a remix of We've Only Just Begun tomorrow. I've just listened to the below clip through headphones that was reposted in March of this year and something didn't sit right with me. I thought, hang on, this isn't Karen. Listen to the way she sings the word "strangers" at 0:16...she holds the word "strangers" longer than Karen. The vocal inflections and phrasing, while accurate, aren't Karen. I don't know why I didn't pick up on this the first time around.

I posted as much on the comments section and Matt replied (just now) confirming it's not her, it's a session singer whose initials are actually K.C and who sounds like Karen "without trying". Got to say, that's certainly true. On certain notes she's about the closest I think we'll ever come to hearing Karen sing again. I still love this track!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom