Top of the world - Matt Pop summer remix

Just thought I'd resurrect an old thread to post a brand new remix by Matt Pop, who is well known among some Carpenters and ABBA circles for remixing their songs. I'm not a fan of unofficial remixes by most people but I actually really like this!

Listen to the subtle effect he uses on Karen's vocal at 2:16 on the word "strangers". Goosebumps...

What happened to this video? It really worked well with this remix, I thought it was Karen singing! Maybe with the video footage of Karen, it fooled us in to thinking the vocal was Karen’s, amazing.

Word is that Matt Pop is releasing a remix of We've Only Just Begun tomorrow. I've just listened to the below clip through headphones that was reposted in March of this year and something didn't sit right with me. I thought, hang on, this isn't Karen. Listen to the way she sings the word "strangers" at 0:16...she holds the word "strangers" longer than Karen. The vocal inflections and phrasing, while accurate, aren't Karen. I don't know why I didn't pick up on this the first time around.

I posted as much on the comments section and Matt replied (just now) confirming it's not her, it's a session singer whose initials are actually K.C and who sounds like Karen "without trying". Got to say, that's certainly true. On certain notes she's about the closest I think we'll ever come to hearing Karen sing again. I still love this track!

The singer on this 2018 video version does sound a lot like Karen but you are right that a close listening can pick up the differences. When Matt replied that Karen is not singing on this 2018 video, did he also indicate that it was not her as well on the video he made 2 years ago? I did not download and save that one at the time so I can't go back to listen but I would have bet money that the old one had Karen singing.

When Matt replied that Karen is not singing on this 2018 video, did he also indicate that it was not her as well on the video he made 2 years ago? I did not download and save that one at the time so I can't go back to listen but I would have bet money that the old one had Karen singing.

He didn’t say but I’m about 95% sure it’s the same track.

His latest remix has just been posted on YouTube:

The original Matt Pop For All We Know was Karen singing. I managed to get the track before it was taken down. I can't remember the reason it was taken down, but probably to do with copyright.

The new version is definately not Karen.

Hope this helps.

I like the treatment he did on the first version of For All We Know that included a recording of Karen, especially toward the end. I wish I had downloaded it too.

The original Matt Pop For All We Know was Karen singing. I managed to get the track before it was taken down. I can't remember the reason it was taken down, but probably to do with copyright.

The new version is definately not Karen.

Hope this helps.
He took the Karen Carpenter vocal down from YouTube when he found his singer K.C. Who he could use on an official paid release. I begged and pleaded for a copy of the For All We Know mix with The real Karen. He declined. It truly was awesome.

He took the Karen Carpenter vocal down from YouTube when he found his singer K.C. Who he could use on an official paid release. I begged and pleaded for a copy of the For All We Know mix with The real Karen. He declined. It truly was awesome.

If he took it down for copyright reasons he was probably wary of other people using the audio file to repost it back onto social media.

Richard must have really came down hard on Matt that one. Interesting that he left "Top of the World" alone. "For All We Know" is especially genius that he takes a tender ballad and tweaks it into a dance club mix with no disrespect to Karen.

Matt's remixes of ABBA are pretty great. But I'm a bit ABBAed out for now. The comments Matt's on YouTube channel show that everyone wants more Carpenters.

Last edited:
Honestly not my cup of tea. I have heard a few remixes of Karen's solo songs and they are quite interesting. The Verve Remixed and Unmixed series give you an example of how quality remixes can bring new listeners to old songs.

Even though it now doesn’t feature Karen’s vocals, Matt Pop has released the full version on Spotify. The backing track is brilliant. The synths in the verses are what hooked me in. I wish we had the original version with Karen’s vocal.

Matt Pop Unleashed - Part 1

^^ Agreed, not my cup of tea either. The best thing about this IMO is Karen's voice prominent in the mix. I otherwise find that backing mix repetitive and a bit boring. Having said that, I can see why others _would_ like it. Just not for me.

I really like (most) of Matt Pop's remixes. I think his interpretation of "Top Of The World" really breathes another life into this already great track. Although he's tampering with near perfection, something fun and new has come out of it!

Back
Top Bottom