"Top of The World" remix.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
I have not seen too many (if any) remarks posted on the subject of the "Top of The World" remix that was done several years ago. It is featured on all of the compilations since the "Master Karaoke" album, and am just wondering if anyone else feels that mix is a bit odd? It sounds very compressed to me, and the kick drum sounds not only a bit out of time, but mixed out of frequency range based on where you would normally place a kick drum in a mix (does this make sense?) I love most of the Carpenters remixes, but I won't listen to this one mainly because I almost feel there was some oversight during the remixing process. I had read at one time that the master for this song had to be oven "baked", as the rust oxidation had set in over the years and affected a small portion of the introduction portion of that tape. There was some fear that it would be lost and never regained....Anyway...I would imagine that Richard Carpenter has had all of the original masters transferred over to one or more digital sources for not only back up, but future purposes. Just my thoughts. -Chris

I agree-the remix of "top of the world"is terrible.This song has been rerun on too many compilations,anyway.It doesn't belong on LOVE SONGS or 20th CENTURY MASTERS.

I can clearly hear how a portion of one take was inserted into this remix. It occurs after "There is only one wish on my mind." The next line must come from another source, as Karen's mike "presence" changes. It's very slight, but to someone in the broadcasting field, it's noticeable. Often, an announcer or DJ will need to add something to a take or tape of their own voice, and if everything isn't perfect -- same mic, same studio acoustics, same distance from the microphone, etc., it just won't sound right.

I still prefer the original mix of "Top Of The World" anyway, the first attempt on the old A SONG FOR YOU LP. It appears on the newer remaster of the album and FROM THE TOP.

Harry
...on top of the problem, online...

Harry said:
I still prefer the original mix of "Top Of The World" anyway, the first attempt on the old A SONG FOR YOU LP. It appears on the newer remaster of the album and FROM THE TOP.

I prefer that one as well--the later versions I've heard have sounded too "cluttered" and "doctored up." That's why these newest album reissues are my favorites--they preserve the originals, the way I grew up listening to them. The newer mixes sound newer and glossier, but have never sounded "right" to my ears.

-= N =-

I agree. Top of the World looses all appeal in the remix that has been present since the Reader's Digest version appeared in the mid 90's. It is also on the Singles 69-81.

I liked the single version in '73, but I really like Karen's vocal style and arrangement on the album A Song For You version, which can be heard in the remastered classic cd of A Song For You, and on the cd From the Top that Harry mentions.

Craig

One interesting point that I haven't seen mentioned is that Richard seems to alternate between 2 different remixes of this track. If you listen to the mix on "22 Hits" or on "Singles 69-81" they are the same mix(If memory serves me correctly) where as the mix on the recent UK and Japanese Gold CD's is different. That mix features a much drier and louder pedal steel guitar in the mix. Try playing one after the other and you'll really notice it during the first minute or so.

Scott B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom