Treasures compilation

A&M Retro

There was over the years a small set of outstanding songs that were long and still made it big on Top 40 radio - how the hell long was "Hotel California" or "Stairway to Heaven" - and this could have been another one. Adult Contemporary radio would have played it I'm sure, and they had a lot more big hits there than on Top 40. It was such a superior arrangement and performance that it deserved to live on the airwaves. I agree with Ed about the superb instrumental sections (often wishing the flute part was even longer) and that they should never be cut. These same things can be said about their remarkable cover of "A Song For You".

Here's the thing: if every great song that they ever recorded that wasn't originally released as a single, but were released as a single now, one would have an extended album jam-packed with incredibly beautiful music...everybody would have their own list, but I bet a lot of the same songs would be mentioned repeatedly...what a great tribute to Karen such an album would be: "Carpenters: The Singles That Should Have Been".
Well, we did get the Japanese 'Treasures' album, which was just as described. But, like you mentioned, everybody would have their own ideas on which tracks to include and not include....creating very different playlists. : )

Well, we did get the Japanese 'Treasures' album, which was just as described. But, like you mentioned, everybody would have their own ideas on which tracks to include and not include....creating very different playlists. : )
What songs were on the "Treasures" album?

What songs were on the "Treasures" album?

I would guess
-Baby It's You
-Look To Your Dreams
-Bless The Beast and Children
-I Just Fall In Love Again
-Desperado
-Eve
-Make Believe It's Your First Time
-Because We Are In Love
-Don't Cry For Me Argentina
-Let Me Be The One
-Road Ode
-I Need To Be In Love
-Now
-Reason To Believe
-Help
-Close To You

Mine is D50Y 3506 1 and 3506 2. The Canyon A&M release. Richard told me I should get it when I met him at the dinner he hosted after the Christmas concert with Scott Grimes. Scott sang some vocals from CP. The concert was in Orange County, Ca. I was truly amazed at the remixes he did for the collection. The first ones he made after Karen’s passing. It’s definitely worth buying a copy. Japan only. They are on EBay pretty often. Not the same as the Pickwick album from England.

Last edited:
Thanks Harry - I forgot about the Resource...

Here's the thing: if every great song that they ever recorded that wasn't originally released as a single, but were released as a single now, one would have an extended album jam-packed with incredibly beautiful music...everybody would have their own list, but I bet a lot of the same songs would be mentioned repeatedly...what a great tribute to Karen such an album would be: "Carpenters: The Singles That Should Have Been".

My dream album:

CARPENTERS: THE SINGLES THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN (Double Album)
Note: (B) indicates previously released as a "B" side, of which there are 7 (with "I Have You" selected twice!)
Also: 2 long medleys - so damn good! Send them out there and go for broke...

Disc 1
1. Don't Be Afraid (B)
2. All of My Life (B)
3. Maybe It's You (B)
4. Reason to Believe
5. Baby It's You
6. Let Me Be the One
7. A Place to Hideaway
8. One Love (B)
9. Bacharach/David Medley (1971)
10. A Song for You
11. Bless the Beasts and Children (B)
12. Road Ode
13. This Masquerade
14. Desperado

Disc 2
1. One More Time
2. I Have You (B) (B)
3. I Just Fall in Love Again
4. Now
5. Look to Your Dreams (B)
6. Ordinary Fool
7. Santa Claus is Coming to Town
8. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
9. Where Do I Go From Here?
10. If We Try
11. Kiss Me the Way You Did Last Night
12. You're the One
13. Leave Yesterday Behind
14. Karen/Ella Medley

I always thought the single that got away was “A Song For You”. Not every single they ever had was three minutes or under - and didn’t need to be. I rarely hear it on the radio nowadays which is a shame. I think more people should be aware of their version.

I always thought the single that got away was “A Song For You”. Not every single they ever had was three minutes or under - and didn’t need to be. I rarely hear it on the radio nowadays which is a shame. I think more people should be aware of their version.
That's one of them - the other 4 in my top 5 are THIS MASQUERADE, YOU'RE THE ONE, WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE? and I JUST FALL IN LOVE AGAIN.

It's hard not to mention the quietly beautiful ONE MORE TIME and ROAD ODE would be a serious contender if it just would have had a longer instrumental break, a 3rd verse and another repeat of that stunning chorus.

And I don't think Karen ever sang any better than on HAVE YOURSELF...which some of us listen to all year around...

I agree - I was surprised to learn that they never released it as a single. But I suppose since ASFY already had six singles released from it, they didn’t want to pull any more from the same album. With regard to other songs, I think that “Tryin To Get The Feeling Again” would have had the potential to be a hit if it hadn’t been cut from Horizon. I also don’t know how much hit potential “Now” would have had, but since it was Karen’s last recording, I think it would have also been fitting as the final single release by The Carpenters.

I also don’t know how much hit potential “Now” would have had, but since it was Karen’s last recording, I think it would have also been fitting as the final single release by The Carpenters.

It was actually released in some territories in 1983 and 1984, including the UK. It's occasionally played on radio here. I took a taxi somewhere last week and got onto the subject of music and Carpenters. Turns out the driver also loved her and 'Now' was his favourite of all their records.

The back of the "Now" single in the UK.

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

The back of the "Now" single in the UK.

MS5qcGVn.jpeg
Great pairing! NOW - hauntingly beautiful, even with a lovely voice a tad sub-par from the effects of years of malnutrition, and LOOK TO YOUR DREAMS - right off the Disney movie screen...

Kept to its original length too. That sax solo would have gone on to the chopping block quickly were it scheduled for release as a single in the U.S...which would have been a travesty.

Which is exactly what happened when they performed it on the Bob Hope Show in 1972. Poor Bob Messenger was left standing in the group with his sax at the ready…and no solo.

Which is exactly what happened when they performed it on the Bob Hope Show in 1972. Poor Bob Messenger was left standing in the group with his sax at the ready…and no solo.
Yes, that sucked - big time...

The very best of Bob's many outstanding solos, most of which were unfortunately just too short...

Maybe I'm missing something, but "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" (the longer, ballad version) was a single. I think it was released twice. Once with The Christmas Song on the flip side and the other time with "Merry Christmas Darling" on the other side.

The faster version was part of a medley.

The single of Santa Claus is Coming to Town was released in 1974 #1648-S and you are correct Merry Christmas Darling was in the flip side. That was the same year they performed it on the Perry Comi Christmas Special. Then they released a quicker tempo version in 1978 on the Christmas Portrait album as part of a melody as you said and then the slower ballad from 1974 was re-released the on the 1984 An Old Fashioned Christmas album.

Maybe I'm missing something, but "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" (the longer, ballad version) was a single. I think it was released twice. Once with The Christmas Song on the flip side and the other time with "Merry Christmas Darling" on the other side.

The faster version was part of a medley.
You might be right...ok, I see Nemily cleared that up - thanks people! Then I'll put the medley THE FIRST SNOWFALL/LET IT SNOW on my Disc 2 instead...

Last edited:
The single of Santa Claus is Coming to Town was released in 1974 #1648-S and you are correct Merry Christmas Darling was in the flip side. That was the same year they performed it on the Perry Comi Christmas Special. Then they released a quicker tempo version in 1978 on the Christmas Portrait album as part of a melody as you said and then the slower ballad from 1974 was re-released the on the 1984 An Old Fashioned Christmas album.
Not quite. The true, original 1974 did not appear on an album until 2006 when it appeared on the Japanese Singles Box set and then the 2015 PBS set.

The version on AOFC is a remix that features an all-new sax solo in the center. The original 74 version sounds like someone is playing the sax while falling down some stairs, while the 84 version is smoother and more jazzy.

Ah great info. Thanks for the specs on that tomswift2002. I will definitely go back and listen to the 74 release to check this out ! So 1984 is a remix and not a re-release. Learning a bunch here. I don’t have the 2006 or 2015 sets. I will put them in my radar also.

Ah great info. Thanks for the specs on that tomswift2002. I will definitely go back and listen to the 74 release to check this out ! So 1984 is a remix and not a re-release. Learning a bunch here. I don’t have the 2006 or 2015 sets. I will put them in my radar also.
The 2006 is quite expensive and it issued all the Japanese singles on 33 of the small 3-inch CD’s that are popular in Japan for singles. Whereas the US set used the regular 7-inch CD and spread all the US singles across 3 CD’s.

Also in a rare move, the mono mix for the 1974 version of Santa Claus appears on the 2013 DVD of Perry Como’s Christmas Show, but then the 2015 Christmas Memories has the video from the 2013 DVD synched to the 1984 remix.

Back
Top Bottom