Treasuring Lost Treasures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some miscellaneous notes on Lost Treasures:

1. There are a remarkable number of songs on LT which are literally elegies of things lost: I can’t go on living without you baby; Promises, Promises (lost innocence); I might frighten her away (from Lost Horizon); Alone again, naturally; Raindrops keep falling on my head (determinedly optimistic response to something presumably lost); I’ll never fall in love again; Killing me softly (which is indirectly about losing Buddy Holly); Tennessee Waltz. (Don’t know the lyrics to Fire and Rain, Flowers on the Wall or Wailing of the Willow, so I won’t comment on them.) Julius and Me is arguably about a “lost treasure” too! What is interesting here beyond the aptness of the album title is that there is a whole range of emotional reactions to things lost displayed here, sometimes paying more attention to how lost something is, but more often paying attention to how treasured it is.

2. The strangest thing about the album is the inclusion of so many songs from You Smile—The Song Begins. (It is really the only album mined for outtakes; the other songs were either entirely unreleased or available only as singles.) They are all great tracks, in my opinion, although only three of the five are interestingly (or in my case, noticeably) different as outtakes. But it doesn’t make sense to me that this is a way to salvage the best tracks of an album not intended to be re-released, simply because I don’t see how these tracks stand out above the rest. My guess is that this album was mined primarily for its two Burt Bacharach songs and that other songs from it were included to help the flow and balance of the album. It really does flow from track to track, even if the songs are from a fairly wide range of periods. And by including five YSTSB songs, the album producer creates a sense of most of the unfamiliar songs falling midway between the greatly familiar early TJB sound and the most mature sound that falls short of the more radical break between YSTSB and Coney Island.

3. The TJB version of “And I Love Her” is the most melancholy take on it that I’ve ever heard – or is that just because it’s hard to instrumentally differentiate between tenderness and melancholy?

4. The TJB version of “Tennessee Waltz” has got to be the blithest, most upbeat version ever.

5. “Popcorn” is surprisingly serious-sounding, as if Herb is saying, “what’s so corny about pop?”

6. If there is an “interesting failure” it is probably “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again”. As Tennessee waltz is made into a happier tune than usual, the take on “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again” is less blithe than usual, minimizing the humor of the song. This and the rather bizarre high-pitched vocal register chosen make it easy to see why it never made the cut before, but it is an interesting risk taken and worthy for a Lost Treasures type album.

David

I kind of get the feeling that Herb judges the 1974-1978 era on the basis of it not selling well in the first place. Even though he might like some of the material, he doesn't want to mention much that came out after 1968. Listening to these unearthed tracks, compared to the ones I've listened to constantly for 40 years, you can tell that the BULK of the tracks come from post 1968 sessions!!

Herb's putting all the YSTSB tracks on "Treasures" is an indicator to me that Herb may think "why re-release an album that nobody bought in the first place" and that we're probably not going to see a re-issue of that and CONEY ISLAND. Perhaps he's putting a new face on some things that didn't do so well the first time around...there's certainly more hype over this new disc than there was for YSTSB in 1974. As for "Whistle Song," Herb doesn't even want to admit that the song ACTUALLY was released in the first place. We gotta get him a link to his A&M corner discography.

Well, what I would like to hear is Music To Watch Girls By...I heard it in concert - let's hear a recording. IMHO, when the Bob Crewe recording came out back in the sixties, I immediately thought TJB.

Mark said:
Herb's putting all the YSTSB tracks on "Treasures" is an indicator to me that Herb may think "why re-release an album that nobody bought in the first place" and that we're probably not going to see a re-issue of that and CONEY ISLAND.

Part of me fears you may be right, but I expect we'll see those items eventually on CD. If not he most certainly would have put the few charting or single 45 cuts ("Fox Hunt," "Last Tango," "Save The Sunlight," "Coney Island" and "I Belong") on Lost Treasures. Instead he opted for items that were "filler" or single b-sides at best. And where's "El Bimbo"??? The later stuff may get a different treatment than a full re-release, but I think we'll see it in some form...

--Mr Bill

I always think I'm in a minority when it comes to the mid-70's stuff. I'd trade Lonely Bull for those three albums in a heartbeat. I don't think the YSTSB material was filler. I Might Frighten Her Away is one of the best things Herb has recorded...

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom