Tribute Band: "Top of the World," Featuring Debbie Taylor (Excellent!)

Jamesj75

Hello Friends!

It's been awhile since I started a thread, but after the amazing time I had last night at a Carpenters' tribute concert (Clermont Performing Arts Center, Clermont, Florida), I felt compelled to share the information here as well as my completely positive impressions. Honestly, I was BLOWN AWAY! I have seen a couple of other tribute shows over the years, which were indeed quite good. But Top of the World (the name of the band) is in a league of their own, and I would highly recommend seeing them if they come anywhere near you. They have deservedly garnered many positive reviews. The capacity of the venue in Clermont is 1000, and the concert was sold out.

Top of the World plays around the United States (Top Of The World Carpenters Tribute Band | Carpenters Tribute Band featuring Debbie Taylor: Top Of The World). It features Debbie Taylor as the lead singer and co-creator of the group, along with her business partner Paul Stewart (who also plays guitar and keyboards), as well as six other bandmates/backup singers, each of whom is fantastic! They strictly adhere to Richard's original arrangements.

Taylor's voice is clearly reminiscent of Karen's and she expertly performs the classic Carpenters' hits with ease, emotion, and esteem, and includes many of Karen's vocal nuances. She makes a concerted effort to give backstories of individual songs (We've Only Just Begun, written by Paul Williams, originally noticed by Richard in a bank commercial; Karen's first take of "Superstar" being what was recorded, etc.). She lovingly compliments Karen and Richard throughout. A nice touch is an expertly presented video/slideshow that accompanies the songs.

In the concert I saw, they did about a 21-song set: ~1 hour, half-hour intermission, then ~1 hour. Highlights included a prolonged version of "This Masquerade," which allowed each musician and backup singer a solo in which to shine. And shine they did... Another highlight was the intimate, acoustic performance of Karen's favorite song, "I Need to Be in Love" (and mentioned as such by Taylor), featuring Taylor and Stewart (on guitar). They did a surprise "Only Yesterday"/"Sing" medley, and Taylor often asked the audience to sing along and clap their hands.

Here is the setlist from my memory, NOT in the exact order:

• Ticket to Ride
  • Close to You
  • We've Only Just Begun
  • For All We Know
  • Rainy Days and Mondays
  • Superstar
  • Bless the Beasts and the Children
  • Hurting Each Other
  • It's Going to Take Some Time
  • Goodbye to Love
  • Top of the World
  • I Won't Last a Day Without You
  • Sing
  • Yesterday Once More
  • This Masquerade
  • Please Mr. Postman
  • Only Yesterday
  • There's a Kind of Hush
  • I Need to Be in Love
  • A Song for You
  • The Rainbow Connection

Merchandise was available for sale in the lobby. And to make a fantastic evening even better, Taylor did a meet and greet afterward. Of course, I had to meet her! She was so appreciative and gracious as she spoke with me and others, autographing CDs and taking pictures. One of the many sweet things Taylor said from the stage was that we should continue to share Carpenters music with young people so that it lives on. What a class act! What a tremendous tribute!

Last edited:
Here's a medley of Carpenter hits by Top of the World - judge for yourself...

Debbie has a good, pleasant voice in the expected alto/contralto range and sings on key and is nice to listen to, but nobody sounds like Karen and Debbie is no exception...the musicians are adequate as are the backup singers...

i love hearing individuals and groups include a short medley of Carpenter tunes within the longer program of their own music, but I've never been a big fan of "tribute band" who do only the music of the band they're paying tribute to - my impression always is "get some music and get a life of your own"...

Hello Friends!

It's been awhile since I started a thread, but after the amazing time I had last night at a Carpenters' tribute concert (Clermont Performing Arts Center, Clermont, Florida), I felt compelled to share the information here as well as my completely positive impressions. Honestly, I was BLOWN AWAY! I have seen a couple of other tribute shows over the years, which were indeed quite good. But Top of the World (the name of the band) is in a league of their own, and I would highly recommend seeing them if they come anywhere near you. They have deservedly garnered many positive reviews. The capacity of the venue in Clermont is 1000, and the concert was sold out.

Top of the World plays around the United States (Top Of The World Carpenters Tribute Band | Carpenters Tribute Band featuring Debbie Taylor: Top Of The World). It features Debbie Taylor as the lead singer and co-creator of the group, along with her business partner Paul Stewart (who also plays guitar and keyboards), as well as six other bandmates/backup singers, each of whom is fantastic! They strictly adhere to Richard's original arrangements.

Taylor's voice is clearly reminiscent of Karen's and she expertly performs the classic Carpenters' hits with ease, emotion, and esteem, and includes many of Karen's vocal nuances. She makes a concerted effort to give backstories of individual songs (We've Only Just Begun, written by Paul Williams, originally noticed by Richard in a bank commercial; Karen's first take of "Superstar" being what was recorded, etc.). She lovingly compliments Karen and Richard throughout. A nice touch is an expertly presented video/slideshow that accompanies the songs.

In the concert I saw, they did about a 21-song set: ~1 hour, half-hour intermission, then ~1 hour. Highlights included a prolonged version of "This Masquerade," which allowed each musician and backup singer a solo in which to shine. And shine they did... Another highlight was the intimate, acoustic performance of Karen's favorite song, "I Need to Be in Love" (and mentioned as such by Taylor), featuring Taylor and Stewart (on guitar). They did a surprise "Only Yesterday"/"Sing" medley, and Taylor often asked the audience to sing along and clap their hands.

Here is the setlist from my memory, NOT in the exact order:

• Ticket to Ride
  • Close to You
  • We've Only Just Begun
  • For All We Know
  • Rainy Days and Mondays
  • Superstar
  • Bless the Beasts and the Children
  • Hurting Each Other
  • It's Going to Take Some Time
  • Goodbye to Love
  • Top of the World
  • I Won't Last a Day Without You
  • Sing
  • Yesterday Once More
  • This Masquerade
  • Please Mr. Postman
  • Only Yesterday
  • There's a Kind of Hush
  • I Need to Be in Love
  • A Song for You
  • The Rainbow Connection

Merchandise was available for sale in the lobby. And to make a fantastic evening even better, Taylor did a meet and greet afterward. Of course, I had to meet her! She was so appreciative and gracious as she spoke with me and others, autographing CDs and taking pictures. One of the many sweet things Taylor said from the stage was that we should continue to share Carpenters music with young people so that it lives on. What a class act! What a tremendous tribute!
I haven't logged in in months and I was surprised to see a thread started by James! Welcome back! It sounds like you had a real night of nostalgia created by "Top of the World." This is as close as you can get to experience a Carpenters in concert in 2023. What a great set-list! Undoubtedly there is nothing like the real macoy, but as long as they are respectful of the Carpenter's legacy, no harm done! :)

I haven't logged in in months and I was surprised to see a thread started by James! Welcome back! It sounds like you had a real night of nostalgia created by "Top of the World." This is as close as you can get to experience a Carpenters in concert in 2023. What a great set-list! Undoubtedly there is nothing like the real macoy, but as long as they are respectful of the Carpenter's legacy, no harm done! :)
John Adam, thanks a million for the warm welcome! And thank you for the positive reinforcement; it is much appreciated... I am still on Cloud 9 after such a magical, nostalgic, fun evening! The icing on the cake was getting the chance to meet Debbie Taylor after the concert: (1) telling her how much I appreciate her talent and that of her bandmates; and (2) expressing how amazing the entire production was, including the set list. She is truly a great ambassador for the music of the Carpenters. Take care, Friend!

Have attended quite a few Carpenters tribute concerts over the years with the understanding that no singer can replicate Karen's vocals. My enjoyment from watching theses shows is the appreciation of the bands that must truly adore the Carpenters to put in the hours of rehearsal and travel to pull off these engagements for what I'm guessing is limited financial reward or recognition.

Even more important to me is the effort to keep Karen and Richard's legacy alive and to be part of an audience with like minded individuals who must embrace the Carpenters at the highest level to take the time and spend money to see a tribute show in their honor. Being able to hang out with fellow Carpenter fans is the primary reason I attend these concerts along with the previous 50th Anniversary celebration and the 55th next April. :)

Last edited:
... appreciation of the bands that must truly adore the Carpenters... to keep Karen and Richard's legacy alive and to be a part of an audience with like minded individuals...
Excellent points throughout, Portlander! I greatly appreciate our shared enthusiasm and your positive reinforcement. Take care, Friend!

Here's a medley of Carpenter hits by Top of the World - judge for yourself...

Debbie has a good, pleasant voice in the expected alto/contralto range and sings on key and is nice to listen to, but nobody sounds like Karen and Debbie is no exception...the musicians are adequate as are the backup singers...

i love hearing individuals and groups include a short medley of Carpenter tunes within the longer program of their own music, but I've never been a big fan of "tribute band" who do only the music of the band they're paying tribute to - my impression always is "get some music and get a life of your own"...

I happened to enjoy this medley it holds its own as a tribute granted its not the original carpenters but these musicians do the legacy and the music justice in my opinion it is what it is.

I'd be very interested to hear what they actually sound like live. This is all recorded so it's hard to know how good they really are. The studio is the ultimate cloak. Still, based on what's here, this isn't bad at all. Nice find.

Ed

Don't be too hard on tribute bands. They're just out there earning a living. This group might draw a good crowd based on offering a heart-felt tribute to a well known artist. If they just went out and sang their own songs they might get nobody, starve to death and decide to start selling insurance. With a little success, maybe these artists might someday move on to doing their own music. You never know.

There was a "Yes" tribute band a few years ago (I forget the name of it) but the real members of Yes heard their lead singer and subsequently offered him a job in the actual band. So being in a tribute band CAN lead somewhere.

You never know how a person's voice is going to change. There is a chance that if Karen was still alive and singing today, she would be 74 years old; she might not sound as much like Karen Carpenter in her prime as this singer does! Same as Stevie Nicks' or Elton John's voice today sounds way different now than they did during their "heydays."

Here is the most important point regarding tribute bands: Within another 10 years or so, the only way to see or hear the music of ANY of our beloved '60s or '70s artists played live will be through tribute bands. The search for the "good ones" will be an ongoing thing, at least until we the fans are all dead. I think tribute bands should be encouraged, especially when the original artist is no longer alive.

...I think tribute bands should be encouraged, especially when the original artist is no longer alive.
Thank you, Mike. The aforementioned group, over whom I have gushed, put on a great show, with sincere, enthusiastic respect to those they tribute.

You never know how a person's voice is going to change. There is a chance that if Karen was still alive and singing today, she would be 74 years old; she might not sound as much like Karen Carpenter in her prime as this singer does! Same as Stevie Nicks' or Elton John's voice today sounds way different now than they did during their "heydays."

Karen’s voice had already changed even by the time she was 32. It had lost its original richness and timbre of the 1970s. I think she would have sounded quite a bit different now at 73.

Karen’s voice had already changed even by the time she was 32. It had lost its original richness and timbre of the 1970s. I think she would have sounded quite a bit different now at 73.
Agreed.. One only need listen to an early recording of We've Only Just Begun verses Now.. (Karen's swan song) There is a big difference in her vocals. When she was 20 there was a roughness of youth. By the time she was into her late 20's (solo album and Made In America) It was a lot smoother and velvet like. Like Karen had full control over her voice and knew how far she could push it without going overboard... In a word her voice had matured...

Back
Top Bottom