"Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again"

I wonder if it was lost in 1975 or was it just not selected. I don’t think it would have hurt to add it to Horizon, even though it was already ballad heavy. It was just their phase then.

I must be in the minority here. For as well as all the piece parts are, the song just doesn't grab me.
I think what makes this song so very special for us longtime fans, was the surprise and sheer joy it brought to our ears when it popped out of seemingly nowhere back in 1994(?) - I remember sitting by myself and listening to this track over and over again, just mesmerized by the discovery. We were as hungry then as we are now, for any hope of a never heard or released track of Karen's intimate vocals. It could even be her singing the phone book by golly (back when they existed)! :)

I think what makes this song so very special for us longtime fans, was the surprise and sheer joy it brought to our ears when it popped out of seemingly nowhere back in 1994(?) - I remember sitting by myself and listening to this track over and over again, just mesmerized by the discovery. We were as hungry then as we are now, for any hope of a never heard or released track of Karen's intimate vocals. It could even be her singing the phone book by golly (back when they existed)! :)

Phone book??? Brings to mind "Good Friends Are For Keeps." Karen sings that beautifully, speaking of phones........

I wonder if it was lost in 1975 or was it just not selected.

It was not catalogued properly at the time it was recorded so ended up being “lost” on the multitrack tape that also contained Only Yesterday. I’d love to know what Richard’s reaction was when he accidentally stumbled upon it in 1994. Imagine his surprise and delight when he heard Karen’s vocal coming out of the studio monitors for the first time since 1975...

I don't dislike it. I'm just neutral on it. I am thrilled that is exists and has been made available.

I get it Mark.
I say the same thing about Touch Me When We're Dancing. We all hear things differently. That's what makes things intriguing with music and artists. They are not the same to all of us. :)

By the way, Richard Carpenter re-discovered this track on
November 29, 1991 "while remixing tracks for our Best of Best/Jp Karaoke album."
"The title was never catalogued...and over the years, Karen, Roger and I assumed it had been inadvertently discarded."
(Liner Notes 40th Sweet Sixteen).

I agree with all of you. My point is at the time, Pomeranz was traveling with the Carpenters, possibly just for fun, and when it came down to selecting songs for Horizon was it already “lost” or was it shelved and when Voice of the Heart was a thought, was that the first time this song came back to mind on where it was? From what I understand Pomeranz had no idea it was even recorded. I know it does not matter at this point, but I was just curious. After 2 years of not hearing something new, I would have thought they would include everything recorded. For the lyrics I think the bulldog reference could be improved on and that lyric is my only issue with the song. But I still would have liked it in 1975. I feel they had the right songs, it’s just that their issues interfered with the right decisions, which could actually be said for all of us, but we don’t have an entrouge who should be advising us. It seems everyone was using them for profit and not advising them.

Back
Top Bottom