Trying to find Carpenters concert date

mjw2652

I was fortunate to see the Carpenters in concert 4 times in the early 1970's. I have the excellent book Carpenters: The Musical Legacy which contains a listing of concert dates in the section "On the Road". I have found the last 3 concerts listed but I don't see my first one, which was sometime between September 1970 and April 1972 in the domed auditorium at C.W. Post University in Nassau County in New York. Would anyone know of another resource where I might find the date of this concert? (I was 20 at the time, and went to see them with my dad.)

There are some additional dates here

There are some additional dates here

Rick, please do share your new avatar photo with us.

I was fortunate to see the Carpenters in concert 4 times in the early 1970's. I have the excellent book Carpenters: The Musical Legacy which contains a listing of concert dates in the section "On the Road". I have found the last 3 concerts listed but I don't see my first one, which was sometime between September 1970 and April 1972 in the domed auditorium at C.W. Post University in Nassau County in New York. Would anyone know of another resource where I might find the date of this concert? (I was 20 at the time, and went to see them with my dad.)

Indeed fortunate to see them 4 times when they were totally hot d:)b
So this brought out the Sherlock Holmes in me 🕵️‍♂️
I think I may have found your concert date, mjw.
I was hoping to find reviews for it, but all I could find were announcements, like this one in the Newsday (Suffolk edition) from August 7, 1971:

img

Thanks for bringing this one up, I've added it to the Setlist.fm website :)

What an awesome looking venue, btw:
Photo of The Dome (1970s)
If you click the "Toggle Full Page View"-button directly under the image (utmost right button), you can get a better view.

I did find 2 nice reviews for the concert the following day (in Saratoga) :

The Troy Record, August 10, 1971

The Post-Star, August 10, 1971

I also found 3 more dates in 1971 that were not mentioned in the book or the Carpenters Concert Schedule that Rick provided here (hadn't seen that ONJ & KC photo before, Rick, love it!!)
Karen & Richard also performed at the Westbury Music Fair (November 26-28, 1971, 3-day stand), so I added that to the Setlist site, too

Greg

Try going thru these. #17 has concerts listed for 1972, so you might get the info if you work backwards from #17.
I went thru some of these fan club letters. Unfortunately, whoever wrote them doesn't put dates on her newsletters. Otherwise you get a lot of details. Like Karen not having a dressing room (at a concert) & had to use the coaches office (where?)

Back
Top Bottom