Turntable Questions

That piece is a stylus guard--best to put it down while you're not playing anything, especially if you're a bit clumsy with the fingers. :D All the way up (as shown) when not playing, so it doesn't flip down while playing something. I had no idea that was a stylus guard built in!

The tracking force is fine, set as-is. It is surprising, though, that a turntable even has these adjustments for a P-mount system. The whole idea behind P-mount is "plug and play." You attach the cartridge, and everything is set properly, as the proper weight should be built into the cartridge to compensate for tracking force.

I'm going to be sure to recommend this P-mount cartridge to others. Seems like a bargain given how good it performs!

Thanks, I hate that I don't have a manual for this turntable.
There is even a sticker in the back near the tonearm that says precisely adjusted by the factory for anti skating & tracking force and shows a picture of 1.25 where it is adjusted. So it really must be play & go.

You should be able to download a manual from the manufacturer's site as a PDF file. You may find it under Support or Service.

I wanted to visit back here after giving this new needle some more playtime. In the past few days I've had the time to copy about 10 of my Carpenters Mono 45's and give them some really good listening time in my car. First off, thanks to Harry for helping to clarify for me what cables I would need to capture the mono sound for recording, I found the proper mono y cable and a mono y splitter. I'm using a mono Y cable (RCA on one end L & R from my turntable) this mono y cable then splits that signal down into a single mono mini jack then I'm using a Mono Y splitter adapter to split that single mono sound back into a left and right (RCA) then feeding that mono left & right sound into my sound card on my PC to capture the song. The only trouble I had was finding the mono y splitter for my setup (radio shack didn't have what I needed so I ordered one online)

I didn't realize how much of a difference having the proper cables would make with regard to these mono promo 45's.
At this point, I'm not sure if it's the mono cables or the new Ortofon 320 cartridge but the sound is so much better than my previous set up.

This new cartridge is such a step up for me and it's really what Rudy said and now I understand and hear what a fine line stylus can do. On these 10 mono 45's I've done, it appears that this needle really creates the best possible sound and it seems to really eliminate alot of the imperfections. I've compared a mono 45 from my old technics stylus to the new 320 stylus using the same mono 45 and the 320 seems to make the 45 sound better than it ever has sounded. I was afraid that it would enhance any pops or crackles known on 45's but it seems to do just the opposite. The richness in the vocals and sounds of the instruments are more pronounced "they seems to pop out more". Maybe it's because I've been so use to my old cartridge and the sound it produced...but with the 320 I'm hearing better improvements in the sound.

Most of my Carpenters mono 45's are in mint condition and with the 320 I'm just not hearing that harshness I heard with my old needle. I can only believe it's the way the fine line stylus tracks on the grooves on these 45's. I just didn't think I would be this impressed but I am.

The thought of all the recordings I need to do now with this new needle is a bit overwhelming. :D

The mono cable helps cancel out a lot of the noise, which is definitely to your advantage. The better tracking cleans it up even further.

It's like discovering your collection all over again. :agree:

The ironic thing is I am still using a broadcast style rig. I own a Technics SP-25 transcription motor unit, a Audio-Technica ATP-16T tonearm, and Stanton 681 with several different styli options. Really nice setup and the best record reproduction I ever had at home.

The ironic thing is I am still using a broadcast style rig. I own a Technics SP-25 transcription motor unit, a Audio-Technica ATP-16T tonearm, and Stanton 681 with several different styli options. Really nice setup and the best record reproduction I ever had at home.

I remember you had a few nice turntables at Casa Teffeteller. :agree:

Most of my Carpenters mono 45's are in mint condition and with the 320 I'm just not hearing that harshness I heard with my old needle. I can only believe it's the way the fine line stylus tracks on the grooves on these 45's. I just didn't think I would be this impressed but I am.

The thought of all the recordings I need to do now with this new needle is a bit overwhelming. :D

It is very worthwhile to go back and listen to favorites with the new cartridge! How is it doing? Found anything else good worth sharing?

I'm discovering a lot of good new vinyl lately myself. I'm spinning the 45RPM Rumours right now--sounds really nice after hearing it for years in digital format. The detail is incredible on this pressing. (Has to be the US pressing, gold sticker on the plastic saying it was pressed at Pallas).

A friend of mine just sent me his nearly unplayed copy of Joe Jackson's Big World, which was cut over 3 LP sides. What little I've heard so far sounds really good, and I'm remembering what a good album this was back in the day. I haven't played the CD in ages.

At the weekend house, I own many turntables. At the main house, I am down to 2 turntables. The SP-25 and a SP-15 and their tonearms. I use Audio-Technica ATP series tonearms and SME tonearms in daily life. Simplified there and added more musical enjoyment. One day, I'll own my dream Garrard 401.

At the weekend house, I own many turntables. At the main house, I am down to 2 turntables. The SP-25 and a SP-15 and their tonearms. I use Audio-Technica ATP series tonearms and SME tonearms in daily life. Simplified there and added more musical enjoyment. One day, I'll own my dream Garrard 401.

My cousin had an SME tonearm--not sure what the model was, but it was of late 70s/early 80s vintage. I'm thinking something like "3009 Series III" or something like that. Been way too long since I knew a couple of those SME model numbers from way back when.

My Grace from 1982 or 1983 (the G707-II) is still going nicely. I'm always looking at upgrading the kit (not sure what I'd go with), but I would not mind sticking with the Grace and just finding a better turntable. Would not even mind finding a Linn Sondek (with the Valhalla mod) but as old as those are, they still command a few more dollars than I could afford.

I thought I recalled you had a Linn in your arsenal...

Rudy,

Had one, we sold it. Got offered too much money to turn down that offer. New owner likes it a lot. We made money on it but not greedy amounts of money. We really liked it but not enough to keep it.

Rudy,

Had one, we sold it. Got offered too much money to turn down that offer. New owner likes it a lot. We made money on it but not greedy amounts of money. We really liked it but not enough to keep it.

Understood. I liked the Walker CJ55 I was using, but it is too finicky speed-wise, and has a few "issues". It is a similar suspended subchassis design, and also hails from the UK.

I don't drink the Linn Kool-Aid so to speak, but I know that it is a certain type of sound and I have a feeling I might like it, having liked the sound of the Walker. I can understand why some listeners really like them.

Wow, no kidding! The cart I want to try is the Ortofon 2M Black which, at last check, was $599. It is the best of the 2M series and has had some good reviews.

My other choice is the Dynavector Karat 17D3 which is a bit more (around $1150), plus I would need a step-up transformer. :sigh: Definitely not in the budget!

The higher price on the Ortofon could be due to the exchange rate.

For an Ortofon, if money was no object, I'd just get me an old SPU retipped and install it and set up correctly. I've got the right platform for it to sing correctly in after all.

My goal is to find something with a "micro line" type of stylus that tracks as good as my original V15VMR. I am not a fan of the Audio Technica sound, so I am passing on the 440MLa and the 150MLX. I have not heard an OC9 yet though, plus I would need the step-up transformer. The V15 can be retipped or I could get the Jico SAS stylus for it, but it still would not be the same as the original. The 2M Black has had reviews favorable to the V15, which is why I would like to hear one.

Rudy,

When your V 15 stylus wears out you have options. Expert Stylus could retip it to the same quality as original or SoundSmith can retip it as well. Just something to consider.

KentTeffeteller said:
Rudy,

When your V 15 stylus wears out you have options. Expert Stylus could retip it to the same quality as original or SoundSmith can retip it as well. Just something to consider.

I've thought of it. I know SoundSmith has a good reputation. I've heard of recent quality control issues with the Jico/SAS replacement, so I'm sitting on the sidelines. When the bunch of us got together in Columbus back in April, I heard CitizenKeith's Jico replacement (built before the earthquake) on a Music Hall MMF-5 and it sounded really good. We played one of the Blue Note 45s (Monk's Music) and it sounded very natural through his vintage ARs.

Of all the retippers, I prefer Expert Stylus in England above all else. Mr. Hodgson is super reliable and really knows styli. He can retip any good cartridge, even most any exotic MM or MC ever made and in many cases can improve it. His work is worth the wait and the money.

Just a followup on the Ortofon 320. They're now selling for $199.99 at LP Gear...

...and LP Gear is now up to $249!

Not to be alarmist, but since the cartridge is no longer made, and I'm not sure how long Ortofon makes replacements, it would not hurt to order a replacement stylus, put it in an air-tight container (so the rubber cantilever mount does not dry out), and keep it on hand for future use. Needle Doctor has them for $54 currently and for a fine-line stylus such as that, I think it's still a steal:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-Stylus-320

I am not familiar enough with Ortofon's lineup to know if other replacements might fit. (It is possible.) Needle Doc has a 310 replacement that costs only $44, but it has only an elliptical stylus. One "bargain" method to getting this cart/stylus cheaply is to find a used cartridge body on eBay, even if it has a trashed stylus...get it for $50 or so, and buy the 320 stylus replacement. Anything in that series should be interchangeable, fit-wise.

About 10 years ago, Shure had an odd deal where they were doing "warranty" replacements for the V15 Type V stylus assemblies, at $50 each. If you sent in an old one, you could get the $50 price (which was almost a third of the cost that retail sellers offered it for). I bought one. I should have bought three! Now I can't find one that is affordable, and even then, I'd be afraid of the rubber mount becoming petrified, or having one with a defective cantilever. Not when they sell for $200 or more!

My choices now are down to the Ortofon 2M Bronze, 2M Black or MC3-Turbo. Having heard the 2M Black, it has the sound I'm after and it tracks wonderful! The 2M Bronze does not sound as refined; haven't heard the MC3-Turbo. The Nagaoka MP-500 would also be a nice rig, but it is more than the 2M Black...and even that one is outside of my budget. Looks like I need to swap/sell off more of my gear to get there. :D

To get an Ortofon 320 cartridge, of sorts, without spending a fortune... :wink:

The 305, 310 and 320 cartridges are physically the same but with different stylus configurations. LP Gear used to sell the 305 for $39.95, and still has the 310 in stock for $79.95. With the stylus replacement being only $54, it is easy to make up a 320 at a lower cost. I don't know if other details are different (such as construction materials), but Ortofon shows the exact same electrical characteristics for all three.

http://www.ortofon.com/products/historical-products/ortofon-series-300-mm-tech-data

In essence, finding a used 300 MM series (305, 310 or 320) on eBay and buying the 320 stylus replacement is a great way to go about it, and save a good chunk of money. While the supply of 320 styli lasts, of course...

Wow, I can't believe the Ortofon 320 is so expensive now. I guess I did get it at a great price, now I'm tempted to get another at the $54.00 price but I hesitate because what if my turntable goes out then I'm left with a cartridge that may not fit another table. I've had my Technics Quartz Direct Drive table for so long and I got it used from a record store and has been working perfectly, I'm just afraid of one day it not working. I don't want to think about that day....

Back
Top Bottom