Two Lives

Song4uman

I listened to VOTH today in the car. I like this song but have some thoughts that would make me like it more.
1. Bring Karen forward
2. Take the choir off
3. Have it fade during the final chorus when it is louder instead of the instrumental ending.

Jonathan

Had to listen before replying. I think the key is too high for Karen’s voice. It doesn’t sound as beautiful as her songs in a lower key to me. That’s always bothered me about this track. It might have been a planned as a follow up to “Sweet Sweet Smile”? They were talking about doing a country album or e p then. I don’t like the choir much at all on the whole lp. It ruined it for me personally. However “Two Lives” definitely needs background vocals. 4 or 5 men/women probably would be sufficient. The ending is sooo Richard. Makes it a bit more country crossover sounding.

#3 is easy enough to accomplish. I'd chop off the instrumental and start a long fade at about 3:30.

One weirdness in this track is just as Karen's vocal starts - there's an audible popping or clicking sound that's on the exact moment of her vocal beginning. This must have been some kind of click-track or metronome that was not removable (at least not as of VOICE OF THE HEART).

One weirdness in this track is just as Karen's vocal starts - there's an audible popping or clicking sound that's on the exact moment of her vocal beginning. This must have been some kind of click-track or metronome that was not removable (at least not as of VOICE OF THE HEART).

I’m sure I’ve mentioned this very same thing before on this forum. It’s so intrusive and one of the things, aside from the key being too high, that spoils the vocal for me. On the letter “m” of “maybe” it’s like a bubble popping. It has always annoyed me and I have no idea what it is. I’d love to find out. The only person who would really know is Richard. If it’s impossible to remove it, maybe that’s why the track is rarely anthologised. I could imagine it really irritating Richard.

It’s interesting that we all have differing opinions and tastes.

I love the way Karen sings the bridge - “No...I can’t believe it’s over.....it’s over....and I....”, (etc). She sounds sublime. I can’t believe anyone could sound that good on their first, rough take.

I like the long instrumental ending. It’s very Carpenters - lots of familiar instruments used in their other songs, and I like that.

I don’t mind the choir at all on this song. In fact, on most of the songs on ‘Voice of the Heart’, I don’t mind the choir. Generally, I like choir sounds. Carpenters’ background choirs generally don’t sound like a high-quality church choir, so sometimes, they don’t sound so good on Carpenters recordings, (think ‘Old Fashioned Christmas’ and ‘Silver Bells’), but sometimes they’re ok. I think, in the case of ‘Two Lives’, the choir is ok. (Karen and Richard themselves always sound superb on background vocals).

I think Karen sounds great in the verses of ‘Two Lives’. I think she starts sounding a bit harsh in the choruses right at the end. I think, had she lived, if they wanted to release the song, they could have kept most of that rough vocal just as we hear it but just re-recorded the repeats of the chorus at the end - except for the very last “..never had a bro-ken heart”, where Karen sounds GREAT.

‘Voice of the Heart’ is one of my favourite Carpenters albums.

Last edited:
It’s interesting that we all have differing opinions and tastes.

I love the way Karen sings the bridge - “No...I can’t believe it’s over.....it’s over....and I....”, (etc). She sounds sublime. I can’t believe anyone could sound that good on their first, rough take.

I like the long instrumental ending. It’s very Carpenters - lots of familiar instruments used in their other songs, and I like that.

I don’t mind the choir at all on this song. In fact, on most of the songs on ‘Voice of the Heart’, I don’t mind the choir. Generally, I like choir sounds. Carpenters’ background choirs generally don’t sound like a high-quality church choir, so sometimes, they don’t sound so good on Carpenters recordings, (think ‘Old Fashioned Christmas’ and ‘Silver Bells’), but sometimes they’re ok. I think, in the case of ‘Two Lives’, the choir is ok. (Karen and Richard themselves always sound superb on background vocals).

I think Karen sounds great in the verses of ‘Two Lives’. I think she starts sounding a bit harsh in the choruses right at the end. I think, had she lived, if they wanted to release the song, they could have kept most of that rough vocal just as we hear it but just re-recorded the repeats of the chorus at the end - except for the very last “..never had a bro-ken heart”, where Karen sounds GREAT.

‘Voice of the Heart’ is one of my favourite Carpenters albums.

I really like the song, too. I think Karen sounds great and I can really believe she’s feeling everything she’s singing about. I’m not a huge fan of the choir in general, but they don’t bother me on this track.

Voice of the Heart is also one of my favourite albums now. I can’t say I’d given it a great amount of attention until quite recently, then I read a discussion on here where it was mentioned and gave it another listen. I’m so glad I did! There are some great tracks.

Voice of the Heart
is the only album I have purchased on RELEASE day.
It is the only album I listened to completely on release day.
Two Lives is a gem of a work lead (among others).
Emotionally, it is a rather sad album (given the circumstances),
but, the album does accentuate Karen's voice, those wonderful
"work leads."

Back
Top Bottom