Two Of A Kind: TjB vs. BMB -- "Baja Nova" / "Warm"

Which version is your favourite?

• Baja Marimba Band

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

JOv2

• Vote for your favourite version and tell us a bit about why you made your selection. (The selections are listed in release order.)
  • (Note: this is the eighth and final shootout. At this time, I know of no additional songs that were recorded by both bands during their '60s--early'70s period.)

Shootout Victories To Date: TjB = 4; BMB = 3

BMB pathway to victory: Win current shootout and flip Spanish Flea (TJB leads 6-5).

[ Mod: ] Thread title says Wave. I think it should be Warm. I'll change it.

Voted for TjB. It's the first one I heard.

Now if the vocal version on that MUSIC OF JULIUS WECHTER promo compilation were there, with Karen Philipp on lead, I might pick that one.

Last edited:
For me it's the TJB like Harry it was the first version I heard just a few months after getting my first copy of "Warm" I got the BMB Heads up Lp and Heard Baja Nova which I also liked at the time I was noticing more how both groups had songs in common and thinking " this would be a great fan discussion somewhere someday and 4 decades later Here we are. Better late than never This is fun Thanks JOv2 for these fun threads

I'll take the BMB. It's their stock Bossa Nova arrangement. Listen to Telephone Song and Gnu Bossa Nova. Also the piano intro on Gnu, Is that Jimmy Rowles? That intro reminds me of a melody from a Mancini sound track. I think it's from The Party but I'll have to think about it.

[ Mod: ] Thread title says Wave. I think it should be Warm. I'll change it.
(Oops! I guess the "nova" aspect sent me to Jobim!)

This may be the most difficult of these TjB-BMB shootouts.

Herb’s unique feature for trumpet and ride cymbal cone is very likable indeed! The scoring [piano, vibes, and flugelhorns] works well in support of his soft lead trumpet. The song structure is quite complicated [D ABCD EFD AB] – or simple [AAB] – depending on what rodeo you’ve been to. The arrangement at the main break is some of the most powerful and thoughtful TjB scoring since the S.R.O. /…Sounds Like… days – dig how the melody is handed off from instrument-to-instrument – including voice. That ending flourish from Herb is the perfect foil to an otherwise reserve performance. Pop perfection; however… I have to defer to Julius: Warm would not exist without Baja Nova and BMB’s spartan, light and nifty approach — highlighted with Bernie and Julius trade fours — ultimately drives it home for me.

Unless there's anything else hiding in the wings...this was an appropriate way to end the shootout.

Baja version. The TJB version just sounds tired and lifeless to me.

Voted for BMB, earliest & original.

Future 2-of-kinds: "Song for Herb from the YOU SMILE album; same tune as Pete Jolly's "Seasons."

"Mexican Corn" from VOL 2; "Heartache on the Way" (same tune with vocals) by Terry Stafford (A&M single # 707)

"For Carlos" by TJB & Wes Montgomery's "Wind Song."

JB

Last edited:
Voted for TjB. It's the first one I heard.

Now if the vocal version on that MUSIC OF JULIUS WECHTER promo compilation were there, with Karen Philipp on lead, I might pick that one.

I agree. For me, this simple and uncluttered arrangement was flawless, and Karen never sang better.

I like both, but I do like the arrangement on Herb's a little better. It sounds more unique, like Herb was stretching the fabric a bit -- where the BMB sounds like vintage standard BMB.

How about for the next round of shootouts, do the songs Herb has recorded two (or more) times, himself. Although I think the TJB would win most of those, but there are even a few in his solo eras that he's repeated on. (Besame Mucho, Zoo Train)

• (Note: this is the eighth and final shootout. At this time, I know of no additional songs that were recorded by both bands during their '60s--early'70s period.)
Actually, you can go with one more...

The Baja Marimba Band's "Ventura" (from their 1973 album The Baja Marimba Band's Back from Bell Records) and the bonus track "Rosemary" from the Shout!Factory reissue of Whipped Cream & Other Delights... Like "Baja Nova" and "Warm," it's the same song with different titles... Happily, they're both on YouTube for now...

--Mr Bill

The Baja Marimba Band's "Ventura" (from their 1973 album The Baja Marimba Band's Back from Bell Records) and the bonus track "Rosemary" from the Shout!Factory reissue of Whipped Cream & Other Delights... Like "Baja Nova" and "Warm," it's the same song with different titles... Happily, they're both on YouTube for now...
Mr Bill to the rescue -- and timely, as we may have a 4-4 tie on our hands; so, your proposal will serve as the rubber shootout so to speak and also keeps us true to the era. Big thanks!👍

Future 2-of-kinds: "Song for Herb from the YOU SMILE album; same tune as Pete Jolly's "Seasons."

"Mexican Corn" from VOL 2; "Heartache on the Way" (same tune with vocals) by Terry Stafford.

"For Carlos" by TJB & Wes Montgomery's "Wind Song."
How about for the next round of shootouts, do the songs Herb has recorded two (or more) times, himself. Although I think the TJB would win most of those, but there are even a few in his solo eras that he's repeated on. (Besame Mucho, Zoo Train)
Gentlemen, consider it done👍👍 and thanks (though owing to my near total ignorance of Herb's post-1975 recordings, I'll need some help).

First, however, I have waiting in the wings an extra-special sneak guest appearance all set for a three-round shootout...stay tuned following our current TjB-BMB affair.

Back
Top Bottom