Two Of A Kind: TJB vs. BMB -- "Up Cherry Street"

Which version is your favourite?

• Baja Marimba Band

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass (rec. 1964; from "South Of The Border")

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Herb Alpert and the TJB (rec. 1974; from "You Smile -- the Song Begins")

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Herb Alpert and the TJB (rec. 1974; from 'Lost Treasures")

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

JOv2

• The Tijuana Brass and the Baja Marimba Band have at least eight recorded songs in common.
  • Vote for your favourite version and tell us a bit about why you made your selection. (The selections are listed in release order.)

This is another Tough one But Herb's From South of the Border takes first place and The BMB's version takes second place Herb's was what I heard first I give the You smile and Lost treasures version's tied for 3rd they are all Great songs in their respective places

There are many songs that I've heard by more than one artist, and in almost all cases the one I heard first is my favorite. Herb's version from "South of the Border" wins the honor from me. The BMB version is nice too and would be my second pick. The T.J.B. one from You Smile is OK but I was hoping to like it better when I first heard it - I'm not sure what I was expecting.

Since it was never a favorite song, I never really listened to the differences between the T.J.B. versions. Of those two I think I like the Lost Treasures version better -- it sounds a little more finished but also a little more loose and fun at the same time. I think it's the piano and the banjo at the end that does it.

I like the gentle swing from SOTB -- particularly Herb's high harmony at the coda; but my favourite is the Lost Treasure's version: it's light-hearted and fun and the twin-trumpets recall the '60s TJB. The BMB version is pleasant, but not particularly memorable.

The original South of the Border version is by far my favorite. The way it lopes along casually has always appealed to me, and that it comes from one of my top 3 TJB albums also helps.

SOUTH OF THE BORDER was my 1st TJB album and as such, "Up Cherry Street,' therein was my first hearing of the tune and shall always be my favorite. The BMB version would be next on my list. I do like the later TJB versions, but not as much.

Here's Pete Jolly's version, under the title, "Same Ol' Huckleberry Finn":

A section of Pete Jolly's version got tacked onto the track on that MUSIC OF JULIUS WECHTER promo record. It was segued with the first TJB version.

SOUTH OF THE BORDER was my 1st TJB album and as such, "Up Cherry Street,' therein was my first hearing of the tune and shall always be my favorite.
That's my feeling also. It's not that I dislike the others, but the original TJB's is such a good arrangement that I can't help but like it.

That's a pretty good Pete Jolly album, BTW. 👍

While I love the original SotB TJB version probably the most, I had to give my vote to the composer's own version.

The YS-tSB version (and it's slightly longer, banjo-enhanced remix from LT) are terrific -- I have a soft spot for that "rag-timey" sound -- They haven't aged as well as the older versions. Dave Frishberg is obviously a more talented pianist than Lou Pagani was. (And I just checked -- Frishberg is still around at age 88 -- older than Herb even!). Of those two versions I guess I like the LT one only because the fade out is removed and we get to hear some banjo noodling at the end, confirming that there was indeed a banjo in the song. I just wonder if John Pisano took that part or if Herb brought in a session guy for it...

--Mr Bill

confirming that there was indeed a banjo in the song. I just wonder if John Pisano took that part or if Herb brought in a session guy for it...
No self-respecting guitarist plays a banjo.... 🤣

Back
Top Bottom