Two Trials

So....can anyone explain the Jerry Field record? The 45 says: Adler-Alpert.

Another posting says:
"Side A is a comedy recording along the lines of "Flying Saucers".
Side B is an instrumental.

Jerry Field is Jerry Samuels, who also had a hit as Napoleon XIV with "They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa."

Napoleon XIV - Wikipedia(born%20Jerrold%20Samuels,singer%2C%20songwriter%20and%20record%20producer.

Everything was copycat back in those days. If a record became a regional hit in one area, someone in another area would copy it and try to have a hit with it on their own.

Hi Harry:

It's tempting to pay the $1.50 to get it since The Trial is not a typical Adler-Alpert song; like someone singing with a guitar. Did he totally lift it, with all the song snippets? Different narrator?

Everything was copycat back in those days. If a record became a regional hit in one area, someone in another area would copy it and try to have a hit with it on their own.
What Harry says here is true. Whenever anyone hears "Alley Pop" they think of the Hollywood Argyles, whose version was the "national" hit and is featured on dozens of compilations. But people in Los Angeles (those who were teens to young adults at the time) will tell you is is by Dante and the Evergreens, whose version was the local best seller thanks to heavy airplay on outlets like KHJ at the time. Until their death my parents always said they hated that "cover version" by "those Argyle guys." LoL!

--Mr Bill

Fair enough Mr. Bill.

But when I spoke with Herb at his Totem exhibition at Bryant Park, New York, he told me some background information about The Trial (which I forgot 2 minutes after we spoke because I was so frozen mentally that I had spoken with him). But it is HIS record. Who is this Jerry Field/Jerry Samuels/Napoleon XIV guy to have a record of presumably the same song samples, a narrator etc. and put it out under his name? Or, maybe it's the Alpert-Adler framework of the song with different song samples and a different narrator. I am so tempted to buy the record to find out.

Back
Top Bottom