UMG Repressings - Any News

Last week I decided to buy The Carpenters, The vinyl collection. It had a good price on amazon.co.uk.
I have always been a fan of the Carpenters music, but I only had The Singles 1969-1973 and The Singles 1974-1978 on CD. Last year I bought al the albums on CD. I loved every song. And since then I am hooked on the Carpenters and their music.
That is why I bought The vinyl collection. Despite of what I read on this site about the quality. I was hoping to recieve a good set.
In fact I love the box and the sleeves, seeing them for the first time in all their glory.
But unfortunately, I think 6 album are damaged so I decided to contact UMG. Since I live in The Netherlands I want sure whether they would replace my vinyls as well.
Today I recieved the same email that they can send me new albums if I send them proof of my purchase and of the demaged LP's. And I have to destroy the albums as well, which seems very drastic. But I will do that, in order to recieve better quality and hopefully clean albums.
When I do I will post it here.

Peter
The Netherlands

In fact I love the box and the sleeves, seeing them for the first time in all their glory. But unfortunately, I think 6 album are damaged so I decided to contact UMG. Since I live in The Netherlands I want sure whether they would replace my vinyls as well.
Today I recieved the same email that they can send me new albums if I send them proof of my purchase and of the demaged LP's. And I have to destroy the albums as well, which seems very drastic. But I will do that, in order to recieve better quality and hopefully clean albums.

After everything that has been posted on this forum and elsewhere about this, frankly, disastrous release - which still doesn’t seem to have been rectified - I’m surprised anyone would still dare even risk parting with their money to buy it. I wouldn’t touch this collection with a barge pole.

I was in Barnes & Noble last weekend and checked out the C section to see if any vinyl of the duo was available. I was there last Christmas and took a photo of the CTY and Singles 69-73 and guess what? The same titles were still there, decipher that as you will but 6 months later I bet they are the same copies that I saw back in Dec. They were mixed in so of course I had to pull them AGAIN to the front and snap a pic. I must do what I can.

my replaced albums are great. I love the set.
Jonathan

me too!
ok, I was lucky in that I only had to replace two of the albums, but issues aside, it`s a great set and I love it :)
what I do find a shame and even disgraceful really, is the fact that people are STILL, even after all this time, having issues with this. the fact there was the issue to start with is bad enough, but nothing is fool proof and stuff happens, but I`ve always argued it`s not the problems companies have that matter, but rather how their dealt with and for this to still be going on, almost a year after it`s release ............ well.

out of interest, is there anyone on here STILL waiting for this to be sorted and are people still buying dodgy sets?

I am waiting for them to contact me sadly the 3 months they said for these to be repressed again has long since vanished weeks ago!. I was told they would contact me when the re pressings were completed. I doubt this will ever happen.
In a nutshell they sent me replacements which were from the faulty batch, they sent out these replacements in the hope they would be acceptable ( wondered why they sent them in sealed boxes and not singular albums with differing matrix information).

Anyways it just hasn’t happened and I completely forgot about it until I read this!.

I am waiting for them to contact me sadly the 3 months they said for these to be repressed again has long since vanished weeks ago!. I was told they would contact me when the re pressings were completed. I doubt this will ever happen.
In a nutshell they sent me replacements which were from the faulty batch, they sent out these replacements in the hope they would be acceptable ( wondered why they sent them in sealed boxes and not singular albums with differing matrix information).

Anyways it just hasn’t happened and I completely forgot about it until I read this!.

Have you contacted them again? I emailed every so often just checking on the replacements and to let them know I wasn’t forgetting.

Have you contacted them again? I emailed every so often just checking on the replacements and to let them know I wasn’t forgetting.

I’ve lost the ladies contact details, somewhere in my emails will have to try and find it. Last I heard was that they would be sending me replacements when completed as well as a 45 Of the “Twelfth Of Never” probably as that’s when it may occur!!. Not that Donny Osmond is comparible - same era different league!!.

Hi guys,

Getting very impatient with this. Here’s their response back in March

Hi Bryce,

We were waiting for 1 LP to be re-manufactured again as we ran out of stock before we sent out anymore replacements overseas. In order to cut back on shipping costs, we decided to wait until this was completed and ship the albums altogether. This album has not yet been completed. As it stands, we have discovered that some of the repressed LPs are also defective and have ordered a new batch to be remanufactured. This is expected to take another two months to complete. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we want to make sure that we are not continuing to send out defective product.

Emailed them again a month ago with this response

Thank you for your patience. As it stands, there was a delay in the repressing of the new LPs. It may be another 6 to 8 weeks for the repressing to be ready. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we still have your information and will send out your replacements as soon as they are ready.

Wondering if I’m ever going to receive them

This would’ve never happened back in A & M Days. Just saying........

Disgusting behaviour if you ask me!
you always seem to find this with anything you buy, then have an issue with, that once they have your money, there`s just no incentive to rush to help you, because what are you going to do, you just going to sit with your thumb where the sun never shines waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and ................

Hi guys,

Getting very impatient with this. Here’s their response back in March

Hi Bryce,

We were waiting for 1 LP to be re-manufactured again as we ran out of stock before we sent out anymore replacements overseas. In order to cut back on shipping costs, we decided to wait until this was completed and ship the albums altogether. This album has not yet been completed. As it stands, we have discovered that some of the repressed LPs are also defective and have ordered a new batch to be remanufactured. This is expected to take another two months to complete. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we want to make sure that we are not continuing to send out defective product.

Emailed them again a month ago with this response

Thank you for your patience. As it stands, there was a delay in the repressing of the new LPs. It may be another 6 to 8 weeks for the repressing to be ready. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we still have your information and will send out your replacements as soon as they are ready.

Wondering if I’m ever going to receive them

This would’ve never happened back in A & M Days. Just saying........

Absolute joke.

I got this from them -

Dear Wayne,

Due to the delay in the manufacturing process, and the recent cost of raw vinyl spiralling out of control (vinyl records are made with a percentage of oil), we have decided to shelve this project in the interim and concentrate on re doing it correctly on deluxe virgin vinyl for the 50th Anniversary. We appreciate you have waited a long time and are probably at your wits end due to this but we feel this compromise will go some way to resolving this situation. The albums will all be pressed in different colours (that mirror the album covers) and will be supplied factory fresh without fault blemish or other detritus!. We appreciate that you may have wanted the Solo albums as well as a make weight but sadly your dreams will never be realised.

Yours Faithfully

Pipe Dream Pete!.

I’m only joking !!!!, good I’ve still got a sense of humour....

Well things do surprise me sometimes, I cannot believe it but Universal have sent all new repressings x 2 sets of the carpenters vinyl collection which have just arrived via courier. I had in truth completely forgot about this and they have been delivered in plain white sleeves .

Well done Universal on doing what you said you would - excellent.

It took practically twelve months to get to this stage but I am very happy with the outcome, when I get a chance to check the matrix numbers I will let folk know if they are indeed different.

Matrix numbers

TTR - B0026334-01-RE.1-A and -B

CTY - B0026336-01-RE.1-A and -B

CPS - B0026337-01-RE.1-A and -B

ASFY - B0026340-01-RE.1-AII and .B

N&T - B0026341-01-RE.1 -A and -B

HOR - B0026343-01-RE.1-A and -B

KOH - B002634401-A-RE-2 , B002634401-B-RE-2

PAS - B0026345-01-RE.1-A and -B

MIA - B0026349-01-RE-1-A and -B

VOTH- B0026554-01-RE-1-A and -B

LLS - B0026350-01-RE.1-A and -B

69/73 - B0026342-01-RE.1 and -B

Wayne so are they different? I wrote some of my matrix numbers in a post a long time ago so I don’t remember if they are the same. I do have the Lovelines LP (the only one) but can’t check till I get home.

Wayne, I went back on my previous post back in Nov 2017 about my bad batch of LP's and the Matrix # on my Lp's of TTR, CTY and CPS all match to the same Matrix #'s you listed above. Of course I don't have any of those LP's anymore. Later, I think in Feb 2018 I ended up re-purchasing only the Lovelines LP and I just looked and it matches to the Matrix # you posted above.

So it appears any re-pressing they may have done...they did not change the Matrix #.
I'm happy with my 2017 Lovelines LP but I won't be purchasing any more of them.

Wayne, I went back on my previous post back in Nov 2017 about my bad batch of LP's and the Matrix # on my Lp's of TTR, CTY and CPS all match to the same Matrix #'s you listed above. Of course I don't have any of those LP's anymore. Later, I think in Feb 2018 I ended up re-purchasing only the Lovelines LP and I just looked and it matches to the Matrix # you posted above.

So it appears any re-pressing they may have done...they did not change the Matrix #.
I'm happy with my 2017 Lovelines LP but I won't be purchasing any more of them.

I haven't as yet checked the matrix against the originals, the records themselves do look a little better but haven't checked them all, interestingly a couple of the albums have thick edges to them in places. If they are repressings then some issues still remain that were similar in the first batch but the proof will be listening to them I guess. At least they did send something out but how you can tell they are repressings is impossible if the matrix is exactly the same. I can see a couple of initials after the matrix which I will compare to see if that's different.

Thanks

Today I recieved my replacements. There were 5 albums damaged and I had to destroy them, but today I recieved 12 new vinyl albums, so I am very happy. Although I haven't listened them.
And they were here quick since I live in The Netherlands..

Back
Top Bottom