UMG Repressings - Any News

I see several posts about the box set.
I finally decided to contact UMG about my set that I’ve written about before. Really bad loud popping on several tracks, static on several 1st tracks on both sides, pressings off center so they sound like they had to much fun before recording, and center holes too small to fit on the spindle. So tight I fear they would crack trying to get them off the platter. I was amazed that customer service replied this morning to give their apologies and that they would replace all the vinyl. To not throw away or destroy the box or covers. They were only sending new vinyl. Then the shipping department in Woodland, Ca. Emailed me with similar apologies and to verify my shipping address. Fingers crossed that these are new pressings. On the few cuts on each album that were perfect, the sound is amazing. So clean and clear. I use a Shure V15 Type IV cartridge and a brand new Audio Technica dj turntable. I miss my Technics turntable. It developed runaway turntable syndrome last year. Ask Rudy about that one! An older Yamaha receiver with 6.1 surround sound with rear and front center speakers. They don’t do that anymore. I like what the rear channel does though. 10 speakers total and 1 subwoofer. 125/w channel. In a condo. lol. So I can’t blast it too often, but it sounds like Karen is in the room sometimes. Especially the Singles 1969-81 SACD and the quad lp’s.

I miss my Technics turntable. It developed runaway turntable syndrome last year. Ask Rudy about that one!
You rang? :D It probably was repairable. Or at any rate, if it's one of the older models, it still would be worth something. A bit of a hassle to get it fixed though, as you'd probably have had to ship it somewhere.

As for the set...I'm wondering about the individual albums. I want to buy just a few but, heck if I know if the copies I would be buying would be the repressings, or older stock from the first run. I likely would buy them only from Amazon, since I don't know if other sellers would be aware of the difference. For kicks, I threw Horizon into the ultrasonic cleaner today and it improved somewhat, but it's still off-center.

I still have the turntable and am using the head from the Technics with the Shure cartridge on my better vinyl. It can be repaired, needs new belts I think. It’s the one all the djs wanted to buy from me at the record store to use for scratching. It has a neutral setting between 45 & 33. Plus a +/- control dial. It was playing at around 140rpms or more, then slowed down to normal, then sped back up. It was kind of funny but I’m sure not good for the records or the expensive diamond cartridge. I’ll post my experience with the new vinyl they send me. My Horizon is pressed off center too. It sounds like they had a few bottles of fine wine before recording. One side of Lovelines is almost flawless and the sound is so rich, quiet, pure and amazing. For $171.00 I expected better. So disappointed. I am glad I don’t have to destroy the covers or box now, and the bad vinyl not sure what I’ll do with them. Maybe chip and salsa bowls? Skeet shooting, frisbee, or a Carpenters mobile would be cool. Any other fun uses?

I am glad I don’t have to destroy the covers or box now, and the bad vinyl not sure what I’ll do with them. Maybe chip and salsa bowls? Skeet shooting, frisbee, or a Carpenters mobile would be cool. Any other fun uses?
I'd make a wall clock with one of them.

That’s kind of funny. I used to have one with a Touch Me When We’re Dancing picture sleeve in the frame. I used to get teased about it. A friend made it for me. The clock wore out, cheap parts, so I no longer have it. It lasted about 25 years though. Good idea. Thanks.

I haven't had a chance to skim over the video (music's too loud here tonight :laugh: ), but I'm betting the Technics issue could be dirty potentiometers for the speed control, or bad capacitors. (Electrolytic capacitors go bad after a couple of decades--these capacitors are a chemical type that degrade over time. And sadly they are one of the most common types in use.

@KentTeffeteller is the expert about the models and their quirks--he'll check in soon I'm sure.

Thanks for the video tutorial. I have get it out of storage and see if I can do that. I miss the auto return function a lot.

It’s a SL-5200 direct drive model that has developed runaway turntable syndrome. There are a lot of people that report the same problem on line with a multitude of fixes. It’s a great vintage turntable, but the new one is all pristine and no scratches on the dust cover that actually works when i life it up. The hinges of the old one are broken. It served me and the store well with thousands of records played on it for over 40 years. If I win the lotto I’ll buy one of those futuristic models Rudy tested out at the high tech equipment show last month. That very hi-tech turntable was amazing.

Last edited:
If I win the lotto I’ll buy one of those futuristic models Rudy tested out at the high tech equipment show last month. That very hi-tech turntable was amazing.
There aren't too many budget TTs at the shows, but an entry level model from the likes of Music Hall and a couple of others wouldn't set a person back too much.

It's more interesting when you compare prices based on what a 70s or 80s component costs in terms of 2019 dollars. A turntable we may have bought for $150-$200 back in the early 80s would have cost $400-$500 in today's dollars.

I don’t think that Richard would necessarily agree, but just out of curiosity I have been on a hunt for reasonably decent copies of the original LPs since the rerelease, and I have yet to find an original that doesn’t sound much better than the 180g reissue.

Mostly it’s in the form of reduced soundstage and a veiled “grain” over pure tones, like Karen’s voice.

I would not be shocked at all if this were because of the need to use digital masters for everything since the original analog masters were lost in the Universal fire.

The best vinyl records I have are from the mid 80’s Japanese releases. All are quite exceptional. The early King Records Japanese Vinyl releases are not! Very well pressed and quite from Ticket to Voice of The Heart.

I still have the turntable and am using the head from the Technics with the Shure cartridge on my better vinyl. It can be repaired, needs new belts I think. It’s the one all the djs wanted to buy from me at the record store to use for scratching. It has a neutral setting between 45 & 33. Plus a +/- control dial. It was playing at around 140rpms or more, then slowed down to normal, then sped back up. It was kind of funny but I’m sure not good for the records or the expensive diamond cartridge. I’ll post my experience with the new vinyl they send me. My Horizon is pressed off center too. It sounds like they had a few bottles of fine wine before recording. One side of Lovelines is almost flawless and the sound is so rich, quiet, pure and amazing. For $171.00 I expected better. So disappointed. I am glad I don’t have to destroy the covers or box now, and the bad vinyl not sure what I’ll do with them. Maybe chip and salsa bowls? Skeet shooting, frisbee, or a Carpenters mobile would be cool. Any other fun uses?

Did you receive your replacement and is it a better quality?

The best vinyl records I have are from the mid 80’s Japanese releases. All are quite exceptional.
I may have to track a few of those down. Finding new old stock (sealed) US pressings has proven almost impossible, and used copies I've seen are all pretty much played out.

I still remember when I got them in a big shipment from a Japanese Importer in Los Angeles.
I went to Leo’s Stereo, a now defunct audio dealer, and made cassettes from them on their best equipment. I had a friend who worked there. I’ve only played them a couple of times since then to keep them in pristine condition.
As for the UMD box set. Yes I got a total replacement of every record. They came very well packed in a huge box. Each album was in a plain white cardboard sleeve. I haven’t played them yet. I need to get a better vinyl cleaner before I do. For now I just play the popping sometimes noisy first set.
BTW the flaws in my white vinyl and black vinyl RPO are similar. The instrumental, then choir segue between TOTW and WOJB is really bad. Sounds like it’s got a dirty smudge on the vinyl as it goes around. Really prominent noise. Identical on both side 4’s.

The sad part about this whole vinyl collection set of 12 is that I really wanted it for my collection. If the LP's had been pressed properly and defect free and sounded decent I would have kept the box set even though the original 70's Lp's sounded better I still wanted this new set from 2017. The artwork and box was really nice. You have no idea how upsetting it is to want a set like this from the Carpenters even from a collectability standpoint and not be able to keep it because of the defects. As a vinyl listener it's very sad.

Off-topic, have you seen what they're going to offer for Amy Grant? A set of LP pressings of her three Christmas albums, plus a vinyl 7" single that will include "Let The Season Take Wing" and "Merry Christmas Darling" as bonus tracks. Due out in October and VERY expensive.

HOME FOR CHRISTMAS is supposed to be available on LP separately at Cracker Barrel in a Coke-bottle green transparent disc.

Off-topic, have you seen what they're going to offer for Amy Grant? A set of LP pressings of her three Christmas albums, plus a vinyl 7" single that will include "Let The Season Take Wing" and "Merry Christmas Darling" as bonus tracks. Due out in October and VERY expensive.

HOME FOR CHRISTMAS is supposed to be available on LP separately at Cracker Barrel in a Coke-bottle green transparent disc.

Didn’t know this, I have 2 of her Christmas albums but not the 3rd one in that set. The 7” sounds interesting but they say
“the box set also includes a bonus 7" vinyl featuring two rare tracks – a cover of “Merry Christmas Darling” and “Let the Season Take Wing,”

Let the Season Take Wing was a Target only release as a single on cassette so yeah that is very rare and never released since but Merry Christmas Darling was released on Cd from Radio Shack. I have that one it’s a compilation but contains that song. It’s sounds similar to Carpenters only slower.

Didn’t know this, I have 2 of her Christmas albums but not the 3rd one in that set. The 7” sounds interesting but they say
“the box set also includes a bonus 7" vinyl featuring two rare tracks – a cover of “Merry Christmas Darling” and “Let the Season Take Wing,”

Let the Season Take Wing was a Target only release as a single on cassette so yeah that is very rare and never released since but Merry Christmas Darling was released on Cd from Radio Shack. I have that one it’s a compilation but contains that song. It’s sounds similar to Carpenters only slower.

Amy did three Christmas albums that had releases on A&M:
- A CHRISTMAS ALBUM - from 1983. I have it on CD 5057
- HOME FOR CHRISTMAS - arguably her most famous, from 1992. It's been released many times, including a complete version as a 20th Century Millennium Collection disc. Target gave a special cassette out of "Let The Season Take Wing" with purchase
- A CHRISTMAS TO REMEMBER - - from 1999. This one had a special Target version with a hidden track of "Merry Christmas Darling".

In 2005, Radio Shack offered an Amy Grant compilation CD called MY BEST CHRISTMAS and it included tracks from these prior discs, and also included "Merry Christmas Darling", right in the middle of the track list - nothing hidden on that one, except that it was one of those limited time offers and Radio Shack is a shell of its former self these days.

In 2008, she released another Christmas comp called THE CHRISTMAS COLLECTION with four new songs.

So, you're right Rick, in that "Merry Christmas Darling" was certainly the easier of these two "bonus 7-inch tracks" to obtain, and it was released in the digital domain on a CD.

"Let The Season Take Wing" has only ever had that one analog release and now will be on a vinyl analog release. I'm also reading elsewhere that "all" of the songs in the set will be released through a digital download card, so that may indeed provide the first digital release of this song.

In case my "restoration" of "Let The Season Take Wing" gets taken down, here it still is:

Amy did three Christmas albums that had releases on A&M:
- A CHRISTMAS ALBUM - from 1983. I have it on CD 5057
- HOME FOR CHRISTMAS - arguably her most famous, from 1992. It's been released many times, including a complete version as a 20th Century Millennium Collection disc. Target gave a special cassette out of "Let The Season Take Wing" with purchase
- A CHRISTMAS TO REMEMBER - - from 1999. This one had a special Target version with a hidden track of "Merry Christmas Darling".

In 2005, Radio Shack offered an Amy Grant compilation CD called MY BEST CHRISTMAS and it included tracks from these prior discs, and also included "Merry Christmas Darling", right in the middle of the track list - nothing hidden on that one, except that it was one of those limited time offers and Radio Shack is a shell of its former self these days.

In 2008, she released another Christmas comp called THE CHRISTMAS COLLECTION with four new songs.

So, you're right Rick, in that "Merry Christmas Darling" was certainly the easier of these two "bonus 7-inch tracks" to obtain, and it was released in the digital domain on a CD.

"Let The Season Take Wing" has only ever had that one analog release and now will be on a vinyl analog release. I'm also reading elsewhere that "all" of the songs in the set will be released through a digital download card, so that may indeed provide the first digital release of this song.

In case my "restoration" of "Let The Season Take Wing" gets taken down, here it still is:

Let The Season Take Wing is a great Christmas single. I really like the opening line, “laughing, sharing, showing that you care brings a smile” perfect line for the holiday season.

She has done many Christmas albums, including a duet project with Art Garfunkel, The Animals Christmas - very rare.

Back
Top Bottom