Universal To Reissue Carpenters DVD's

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I got an email from CD Japan that Universal is re-issuing 3 DVD of the Carpenters.

Live at Bukokan 1974
Interpretations A 25th Anniversary Celebration
Yesterday Once More

What's interesting is that they all appear to be NTSC format (North America)
It's interesting to note that Live at Budokan 1974 is one of the 3 being released. I always thought that Live at Budokan was originally only issued on Laserdisc and then eventually made it's way to DVD. The DVD was a Japan only release which has made it very rare and kinda pricey to own, I currently see a DVD on e bay now for $64.00 from Japan. I'm not sure if the Laserdisc was also a Japan only release. Both are now out of print.

It appears that CD Japan will be selling the NTSC DVD for Budokan at about $17.00 U.S. minus shipping. It will be interesting to see how this differs from the Japan version.

Live at Bukokan 1974 release date March 08, 2017 pre-order is up now. The description says it's a reissue and they will only be issued for a limited period of time until June 9, 2017.

Live At Budokan 1974 [Limited Low-priced Edition] Carpenters DVD »

Interpretations A 25th Anniversary Celebration [Limited Low-priced Edition] Carpenters DVD »

Yesterday Once More [Limited Low-priced Edition] Carpenters DVD »

NTSC is a technical specification for video, and different from region encoding. North America, Japan and many other countries use NTSC. PAL is popular in Europe and elsewhere. There is an extended list at the following link, along with technical specifications (which really aren't of much interest, except to know that NTSC and PAL are not compatible).

Worldwide TV Systems (NTSC, PAL, and SECAM) »

A simpler list is here:

PAL or NTSC »

I got an email from CD Japan that Universal is re-issuing 3 DVD of the Carpenters.

Live at Bukokan 1974
Interpretations A 25th Anniversary Celebration
Yesterday Once More

What's interesting is that they all appear to be NTSC format (North America)
It's interesting to note that Live at Budokan 1974 is one of the 3 being released. I always thought that Live at Budokan was originally only issued on Laserdisc and then eventually made it's way to DVD. The DVD was a Japan only release which has made it very rare and kinda pricey to own, I currently see a DVD on e bay now for $64.00 from Japan. I'm not sure if the Laserdisc was also a Japan only release. Both are now out of print.

It appears that CD Japan will be selling the NTSC DVD for Budokan at about $17.00 U.S. minus shipping. It will be interesting to see how this differs from the Japan version.

Live at Bukokan 1974 release date March 08, 2017 pre-order is up now. The description says it's a reissue and they will only be issued for a limited period of time until June 9, 2017.

Live At Budokan 1974 [Limited Low-priced Edition] Carpenters DVD »

Interpretations A 25th Anniversary Celebration [Limited Low-priced Edition] Carpenters DVD »

Yesterday Once More [Limited Low-priced Edition] Carpenters DVD »

It would be great if this new reissue of the 'Live at the Budokan' DVD had the full interview with Karen and Richard from the original TV special as an extra. They were filmed looking around a Japanese garden and during the interview that followed, Karen was in fine form humour-wise. From memory, some footage from the session is used on the original DVD for a specially made film clip of the instrumental track, 'Heather'. I'd love to own the actual interview on DVD, though. Perhaps you could suggest that they include this, Rick. :) :). While they're at it, why don't they include the Japanese telethon footage from around 1982 where they have a power outage and Karen ad-Libs with all these hilarious quips. I believe her humour was almost as good as her singing. Btw, I was in Japan last year and quite common, (at Tower Records, etc), is the live DVD of the 1972 Channel 7, Australia special coupled with sections of two 1974 European live specials - I think one is from Belgium, from memory, and the other one might be from Holland.

As mentioned earlier, this is a Region 2 locked DVD. That means that you need a player that plays all-regions, or one that will play Region 2 discs.

I actually have a multi-region DVD player, but I have never ordered anything from CDJapan before. Does anyone have any experience with them? It looks like this DVD is also available on Amazon Japan.

CDJapan is an honorable company. I've ordered a bunch of Japanese items from them.

They are great you pay a bit more for EMS shipping but it gets to the US very quick. I've never had an issue with them and each time you order you accumulate points you can use to reduce your shipping expense for next purchases.

If I didn't already have this I would be ordering it.

I purchased the Live At Budokan 1974 and Yesterday Once More (aka "Gold") DVDs (as well as a couple of other Carepenters-related items) and they finally came in. I haven't unwrapped them yet. If anyone has any questions about them, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

The Live At Budokan 1974 DVD comes in a small CD-sized jewel case. I must admit I have not run across this type of packaging before for a DVD, but I guess there's always a first time.

The YOM/Gold DVD has I Need To be In Love, which is missing from my Region 1 copy of this video compilation. I think previously you could only get this version of the DVD as part of a box-set, but I could be wrong.

Close up pics can be found here: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

IMG_0558.jpg

Back
Top Bottom