Unknown Sound On Top Of The World

Jack A.

At about 2:15 on the original version (from the ASFY album), there’s a fairly audible “beeping”-type sound that plays twice in a row. I’ve been trying to decipher what that is for a while now. What’s weird is that it’s gone from the re-recorded single version, but then it’s back on the Singles 1969-1981 remix (you know, the one with the much louder kick drum), even though that’s still the single version.

Some of you may not be able to hear it, but I hear it quite easily. For my fellow Apple users out there, it almost sounds like the “countdown” sound effect when you’re taking a picture on Photo Booth. :)

Odd since I think they are two completely different recordings from the ground up. My ears are too old, I don’t hear it.

Yeah, they are totally different to my knowledge, which makes it extra strange. I might see if I can mess with the audio to make it easier to hear. It is kind of buried in there.

On the other hand, it could just be that I’m crazy and my younger ears are picking up things that aren’t there… :)

My ears are usually good at picking this stuff up, but I've had a good listen to it a few times and can't hear a thing...

I'm still trying to figure out the odd noise I hear on "Yesterday Once More"!

At about 2:15 on the original version (from the ASFY album), there’s a fairly audible “beeping”-type sound that plays twice in a row. I’ve been trying to decipher what that is for a while now. What’s weird is that it’s gone from the re-recorded single version, but then it’s back on the Singles 1969-1981 remix (you know, the one with the much louder kick drum), even though that’s still the single version.

Some of you may not be able to hear it, but I hear it quite easily. For my fellow Apple users out there, it almost sounds like the “countdown” sound effect when you’re taking a picture on Photo Booth. :)
What you're referring to isn't so much of a "beep," but a twinkling effect. That's the electric piano you're hearing being played as an eighth note fill in the upper register on the original and '91 mixes behind the strings. It was played on the original Wurlitzer track in '72. The following year when they reworked the song for the single mix, they didn't re-record everything, but rather just recut some of the guitars, Wurlitzer electric piano and Karen's lead.

After '72, that fill was brought down in the mix, then up again on the '91 remix (the same mix found on Singles: 1969-1981 with that horrific kick drum). Because all of the tracks for both versions of the song were cut on the same master, that fill just got favored when Richard and Roger went to do the remixes for the Master Karaoke album in 1991 (from where this mix originates).

Good ears!!

Last edited:
What you're referring to isn't so much of a "beep," but a twinkling effect. That's the electric piano you're hearing being played as an eighth note fill in the upper register on the original and '91 mixes behind the strings. It was played on the original Wurlitzer track in '72. The following year when they reworked the song for the single mix, they didn't re-record everything, but rather just recut some of the guitars, Wurlitzer electric piano and Karen's lead.

After '72, that fill was brought down in the mix, then up again on the '91 remix (the same mix found on Singles: 1969-1981 with that horrific kick drum). Because all of the tracks for both versions of the song were cut on the same master, that fill just got favored when Richard and Roger went to do the remixes for the Master Karaoke album in 1991 (from where this mix originates).

Good ears!!
Thanks, Chris! That’s interesting…so it was something played by Richard, that was meant to be there. :)

Thanks, Chris! That’s interesting…so it was something played by Richard, that was meant to be there. :)
The line he’s playing rubs alongside the strings rhythmically (albeit different melody), so that’s likely the reason it’s placed subtly in the mix.

the '91 remix (the same mix found on Singles: 1969-1981 with that horrific kick drum)
Hi, Chris.

There's a version of TOTW that someone I know once referred to as "the Morse code" version - as if a telegraph message is being sent out. Is that the kick drum?

There's a version of TOTW that someone I know once referred to as "the Morse code" version - as if a telegraph message is being sent out. Is that the kick drum?

If I'm not mistaken, that artificial kick was played by Richard on his keyboard - can just imagine him sitting there with one finger tapping away, desperately trying to keep in time (and not succeeding :laugh:).

Hi, Chris.

That’s it!

I have to agree with you - it's not an improvement. Glad to hear that it was removed in later remixes. "Morse code version" be gone ! :laugh:

Re: Jack A's comment about the sound around the 2:15-mark on this mix, I have never thought of it as a "beeping sound". I've always thought that this was simply a mistake. There's a lack of clarity in the recording for just a couple of seconds. To my ears this small section sounds rather "muddy", as if two or more sounds are clashing with each other. Again, I'm glad that this was re-done in later remixes.

I'm still trying to figure out the odd noise I hear on "Yesterday Once More"!

Harry - I think I might hear what you're talking about, but I'm not too sure. On the third oboe note, the only thing I hear is Karen finishing the word "shines" with that final "S" syllable. There is another sound right after that, which sounds like a guitar to me.

Back
Top Bottom