Unplugged

It is the first technique. Karen laid down one take and would then go back into the booth and “match” that first take - sometimes so accurately that her vocals would phase.
May I safely assume what seems to be the obvious - that this second take - this "singalong" - was actually recorded on a separate track (hence the name double-tracking) and later combined in the final mixdown (is that the right word?) with the original lead vocal track? And that it could be easily (and mercifully :razz:) eliminated in some future well-advised remix?

May I safely assume what seems to be the obvious - that this second take - this "singalong" - was actually recorded on a separate track (hence the name double-tracking) and later combined in the final mixdown (is that the right word?) with the original lead vocal track? And that it could be easily (and mercifully :razz:) eliminated in some future well-advised remix?
Only if the separate elements still exist. Considering how the had sometimes 4 or 6 Karen’s and Richard’s harmonizing to get that sound, especially in the 4-, 8- and 16-track era, all the vocals might’ve been combined onto one or two tracks, and then the other tracks recorded over for instruments or more vocal acrobatics.

May I safely assume what seems to be the obvious - that this second take - this "singalong" - was actually recorded on a separate track (hence the name double-tracking) and later combined in the final mixdown (is that the right word?) with the original lead vocal track?

For the early recording done on on 4 and 8 track desks, there likely won’t have been enough vacant tracks to allow for Karen’s doubled lead to be recorded and kept separate, what with the other tracks being taken up by the rhythm section, orchestra etc. I imagine with the introduction of 16 and later 32 track equipment, that wouldn’t have been an issue. Either way, where a particular track is used, for example, for a sax solo, the rest of that track can be used for other stuff at other points in the recording where the tape is blank. So in theory it’s possible that Karen’s doubled lead could have been captured on the same track as something like a guitar, saxophone or oboe part that only featured during an instrumental break, where Karen isn’t singing.

Last edited:

Only if the separate elements still exist. Considering how the had sometimes 4 or 6 Karen’s and Richard’s harmonizing to get that sound, especially in the 4-, 8- and 16-track era, all the vocals might’ve been combined onto one or two tracks, and then the other tracks recorded over for instruments or more vocal acrobatics.

From the "Close To You" album forward, they used 16-track and then 24-track from around 1975 ("Horizon") and forward. On "We've Only Just Begun", Karen's lead and double vocals were recorded on separate tracks on the tape. On later recordings like "Sweet, Sweet Smile", "Calling Occupants...", a piece of equipment that could take a single vocal and give it a doubling effect was used. An example of such a piece of equipment from the 70s is pictured below. These days, there is software that does this on a digital audio workstation.

ndcb9oclqsh78psdujrc.jpg

Last edited:
From the "Close To You" album forward, they used 16-track and then 24-track from around 1975 ("Horizon") and forward. On "We've Only Just Begun", Karen's lead and double vocals were recorded on separate tracks on the tape. On later recordings like "Sweet, Sweet Smile", "Calling Occupants...", a piece of equipment that could take a single vocal and give it a doubling effect was used. An example of such a piece of equipment from the 70s is pictured below. These days, there is software that does this on a digital audio workstation.

ndcb9oclqsh78psdujrc.jpg
Maybe, but remember that even in the 16-track era, a lot of those tracks were also being used for the instruments. Also two of those tracks would be the stereo master track that everything was mixed down to for making the stereo master (that would’ve been different from the stereo album masters which would’ve been on a different tape). Also one track would have been Karen’s read through track. So really they would’ve been working with not a lot of space. Maybe 12 or 13 tracks. And if they were recording anything in stereo (like Karen’s vocals) those probably used 2 tracks (whereas Richard’s mono piano would’ve been on just one track). I remember in the liner notes for California Dreaming (and this was on Joe Osborne’s 4-track) but all of the instruments (bass, drum, piano, string machine) were all combined onto one track for some reason. But still it’s something that they could’ve still done in the 16 track (or 24 track) era if they needed more tracks. So the question is is Karen’s original vocal on its own track, or did they combine all her vocals into one stereo track and this is what Richard considers Karen’s lead.

Maybe, but remember that even in the 16-track era, a lot of those tracks were also being used for the instruments. Also two of those tracks would be the stereo master track that everything was mixed down to for making the stereo master (that would’ve been different from the stereo album masters which would’ve been on a different tape). Also one track would have been Karen’s read through track. So really they would’ve been working with not a lot of space. Maybe 12 or 13 tracks. And if they were recording anything in stereo (like Karen’s vocals) those probably used 2 tracks (whereas Richard’s mono piano would’ve been on just one track). I remember in the liner notes for California Dreaming (and this was on Joe Osborne’s 4-track) but all of the instruments (bass, drum, piano, string machine) were all combined onto one track for some reason. But still it’s something that they could’ve still done in the 16 track (or 24 track) era if they needed more tracks. So the question is is Karen’s original vocal on its own track, or did they combine all her vocals into one stereo track and this is what Richard considers Karen’s lead.
I would like to clarify something about standard practices in analogue multitrack recording. The two track stereo master mix (where everything is mixed down to stereo for the first time) is recorded onto a separate tape machine and tape and not onto another two tracks on the same multitrack. It would make no sense to do that for the precise concerns you raise about lack of tracks. That has been the standard practice since the 1950s. Further up in this thread, I have posted a video with a mix of "We've Only Just Begun" where Karen's lead is not doubled. You hear just the main lead without the doubling. Both vocals were recorded on separate tracks and this was 1970.

Last edited:
The two track stereo master mix (where everything is mixed down to stereo for the first time) is recorded onto a separate tape machine and tape and not onto another two tracks on the same multitrack. It would make no sense to do that for the precise concerns you raise about lack of tracks. That has been the standard practice since the 1950s. Further up in this thread, I have posted a video with a mix of "We've Only Just Begun" where Karen's lead is not doubled. You hear just the main lead without the doubling. Both vocals were recorded on separate tracks and this was 1970.

Exactly what I thought. Richard would never have combined her doubled vocals into one stereo track and then considered that the lead. Even in the The Karen Carpenter Story, you hear her single lead vocal in the recording booth when they were laying down the track for ‘We’ve Only Just Begun’. If everything was bounced to one track back in 1970, extricating that with the technology available in 1988 would have been impossible.

I would like to clarify something about standard practices in analogue multitrack recording. The two track stereo master mix (where everything is mixed down to stereo for the first time) is recorded onto a separate tape machine and tape and not onto another two tracks on the same multitrack. It would make no sense to do that for the precise concerns you raise about lack of tracks. That has been the standard practice since the 1950s. Further up in this thread, I have posted a video with a mix of "We've Only Just Begun" where Karen's lead is not doubled. You hear just the main lead without the doubling. Both vocals were recorded on separate tracks and this was 1970.

Yep. You got to this before I could. The two track mix was created from the multitrack tape and then "mixed down" to a ¼ inch ½ track tape. That became the "mix down master."

Ed

Thanks to everyone above for your detailed and highly informed explanations of their recording process - especially the inside scoop on exactly what Karen was listening to in her headphones when she recorded her master lead. This has been quite an education for me, since I had a few misconceptions about what was taking place, and how and when. I'm really glad I asked several questions that spurred everyone on...

I just wish that they had videotaped the recording sessions for at least one song back in the day so we could watch the process in action today, and see how they went about creating the recording of that beautiful music.

ndcb9oclqsh78psdujrc.jpg
Was this equipment used in the music music music medley? I always wondered why the later years background vocals had a different sound to the early years ones. Especially notable on that medley.

Was this equipment used in the music music music medley? I always wondered why the later years background vocals had a different sound to the early years ones. Especially notable on that medley.
I would guess that yes the vocal doubler was used in 1980 for the MMM medley. I hear the effect in their harmonized vocals at the end of it when they sing the last parts of "We've Only Just Begun."

Back
Top Bottom