Unreleased Songs from Time

I'd like to not only know about these songs, but the Carpenters tunes apparently recorded in 1982 that feature Richard on lead vocals. Would love to hear all these songs, too!

Does anyone know about these songs? The titles and who wrote them? I'd love to hear about them.
I do remember seeing a media/promotional write-up with a track listing prior to the release of Time. I do specifically remember "The Reply" was on that list and was puzzled a bit as it did not materialize on Time. Not sure if it was/is Akiko Kobayashi's version as a potential guest artist (fuzzy about timelines here) or if it has a Richard lead.

Was this intended as a solo album cut? I know Rod Stewart’s version and like it.
I though that was from the MIA timeframe.

I remember there was another unreleased Richard track from the 80’s that surfaced on the internet—- might’ve been from the MIA era as well. Someone had stuck a picture of Richard leaning on a car for the video portion.

I though that was from the MIA timeframe.

I remember there was another unreleased Richard track from the 80’s that surfaced on the internet—- might’ve been from the MIA era as well. Someone had stuck a picture of Richard leaning on a car for the video portion.
I believe the song is "You'll Never Know." It's on Youtube. I thought it was an "outtake" from the MMM special where K&R replaced their own vocals in place the guest. In this case I believe it was John Davidson who performed it on the TV special.

Now…..this was very pleasant! No over dubbing, nice vibrato, not just straight tones. He really sounds like Karen here with his phrasing and style. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Like....so much. His phrasing is exactly as hers would be if she sang the tune. Of course, he doesn't anywhere near her vocal capabilities but it is interesting hearing him take her phrasing for a spin.

Ed

As I understand it, "Some Guys Have All the Luck" and a song called "Fool Me" are the two songs recorded in 1982 with Richard on lead vocals. And yes, I agree with others here that Richard did a nice job on "You'll Never Know." It rivals his best lead vocal, which for me is "Without A Song." l love hearing him trade lines with Karen! Hopefully someday all 3 of these songs will be released. Who knows? The 1982 tunes could feature Karen on backing vocals. They would be fun to hear, too!

Richard also did a good job duetting with Karen on both “You’re Just In Love” and “Do You Hear What I Hear?” Richard really made YJIL come alive by making it a song about an older brother/sibling giving their younger sister/sibling, or maybe it’s a father/parent giving their son/daughter love advice.

Yeah it was You’ll Never Know. Well Karen and Richard record their own vocals for a number of MMM songs—-it’s to bad this wasn’t included on As Time Goes By.

Ummmm...WOW. I had never heard Richard sing like this before, and IMO he exhibits a very nice range, near flawlessly in tune, and a pleasant vibrato. He also transitions from lower to higher notes fairly seamlessly. Somewhat "crooner" in style, in a good way. I knew Richard could sing (obviously), but not like this.

What's "missing" (IMO) is a tone and timbre that resonates in a way that makes a voice transcend being nice, beyond pleasant, and becomes "special". That's NO knock on Richard; it's just why truly great singers stand out from everyone else.

Richard sounds pretty nice on this. I don't think I would have recognized it as him, if I just heard it and didn't know who it was. He sounds different than on his other recordings. But nice!

Back
Top Bottom