1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Unreleased tracks from “Karen Carpenter”

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Kristopher, Jul 17, 2018.

1. WYBIMLA

WYBIMLA Active Member

^Correction: Not Still in love with you
    I meant I'm still not over you

2. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

For me they’re not even in the same league. Richard takes breaths between each line most of the time. There are vocal overlaps at the end but they are overdubs recorded separately. There aren’t any of the lengthy vocal phrases on the RC track whereas Goodbye To Love is awash with them. The longest line I hear that doesn’t contain a breath is “Sleepin' away almost half of the night/Now who”.

3. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

...without question...

Ed

4. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

I'm with you on everything but 1. This was to a Karen Carpenter solo album, not a Carpenters album. As such, it didn't need any Carpenter/Bettis compositions. Better yet, it had Rod Temperton songs. Rod was, IMHO, a significantly better songwriter than Richard will ever be. He's one of the best to ever do it, honestly. His success spoke for itself in that regard. If anything, Karen's album could have done with more Rod. I'd kill off the Javors tunes in a hot second for more Temperton tunes.

Ed

GaryAlan, CraigGA and newvillefan like this.
  5. WYBIMLA

WYBIMLA Active Member

Ok that's fair. My point was these aren't easy songs to sing.

Part of The Carpenters success was because they made you feel like could sing-a-long to with ease.
    "Time" has so much going on in it that you end up listening to the arrangement and vocal effects (overdubs/delay/reverb).

I don't hear weakness from Richard, but strength in his skill. He wasn't a vocal acrobatic or belting type.
    So, to my ears his vocal style suits each song.

There's an argument to made about his choice to use "Say Yeah," but there's good moments there too.
    The part where the song breaks down and he repeats "yeah" with electric guitar sounds kinda cool.

I'm neither Team Richard or Team Karen. I like them both!

As for KC's solo album, as we know there's some great moments too.

Is having some good moments on an album enough? :confused:

6. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

Yes, Ed....I forgot to clarify the first point of my previous post:
    Had a new Carpenters' album been on the horizon at any juncture, I would have been
    interested in seeing what new songs Richard and John could come up with. In other words,
    an entire album of new compositions--for a new 'Carpenters' album.
    But, I do so agree--Rod Temperton, what a talent !
    Indeed, I would have loved more Rod Temperton tunes on Karen's solo album.

ThaFunkyFakeTation likes this.
  7. Toolman

Toolman Simple Man, Simple Dream

Good question. I suppose it depends on the individual buyer. I have hundreds of albums, but I'd be hard pressed to name very many on which I love (or even strongly like) each and every track. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is one. "Rumours" is another. "A Song for You," except I usually skip "Flat Baroque" (not that it's bad, just not worth repeat listens). Some others. Usually, if I strongly like half the album, then I consider it a win. Or if there's one or two tracks that just blow me away -- Coldplay's "Viva la Vida", kd lang's "Constant Craving". My answer, I suppose, is yes, a couple of truly standout moments can justify owning an album, or it did before digital downloads. And as I've said before, to my ears, Karen's album had more than enough of them to rise well above the classification "releasable". Now, whether it would have made money for the label...different issue. I don't know.

John Adam likes this.
  8. John Adam

John Adam "We are observing your Forum".........Baby

Wouldn't it be amazing if Richard completed one of these tracks (like Something's Missing) for the new album with the Royal Philharmonic. It would be quite the surprise, but I suppose the quality of the vocal tracks would not mix in well with the rest of the Carpenters tracks.