Unsolved Mysteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Here's a few tidbits that caught my attention and made me wonder.

On the original record album and on the CD of Voice Of The Heart, the time for "Look To Your Dreams" is listed as 4:28, when in actuality the music fades out at 5:11 and the entire track time is 5:14.

I have a 7' single of "We've Only Just Begun" in a picture sleeve. Everything is normal about it except the sleeve lists "Maybe It's You" as the b-side. On the record itself "All Of My Life" is the b-side. Every listing I have ever seen has always shown "All Of My Life" as the b-side.

Does anybody else have other interesting tidbits that have made you wonder?

Rick1229 said:
On the original record album and on the CD of Voice Of The Heart, the time for "Look To Your Dreams" is listed as 4:28, when in actuality the music fades out at 5:11 and the entire track time is 5:14.

I believe the theory goes that "Look To Your Dreams", as originally completed by Richard & Karen was in fact, 4:28. If you listen to the song and watch your CD time counter, you'll see that the main song ends just after 4:20. Had it been released that way, it would have timed out to 4:28. Following Karen's death, Richard saved this song for the last track on the album and added his little trailing piano piece which pads the song out to past five minutes. That touching little piano finale spoke volumes as we heard Richard continuing alone, without his sister.

I have a 7' single of "We've Only Just Begun" in a picture sleeve. Everything is normal about it except the sleeve lists "Maybe It's You" as the b-side. On the record itself "All Of My Life" is the b-side. Every listing I have ever seen has always shown "All Of My Life" as the b-side.

I'm guessing that the single was issued more than once and somehow got into the wrong sleeve. Curiously, I don't own ANY copies of the single of "We've only Just Begun", but then again, I didn't passionately collect the 45s. I bought "Close To You" before any other Carpenters material, then the album CLOSE TO YOU followed by OFFERING. Once I had an album, purchasing a 45 with the same thing on it didn't make a lot of sense to me. Nowadays, I kind of wish I had been more thorough and bought some of these 45s as well.

Harry
NP: VOICE OF THE HEART, Carpenters

Rick1229 said:

That pic sleeve was probably the first issue and was likely recalled after discovery. Later picture sleeves of "We've Only Just Begun" corrected that error and listed the proper B-side. And as we all know, "Maybe It's You" went on to become the B-side of their early 1972 hit single, "Hurting Each Other."

But on to other matters: Barbra Streisand's "Stoney End" (Columbia 4-45236, 1970; which was a hit around the time of "We've Only Just Begun") was to have had a cover of the Joni Mitchell composition "I Don't Know Where I Stand" as the B-side before T.P.T.B. at Columbia decided upon Randy Newman's "I'll Be Home" as the flip. If any copies exist with this "early" B-side, please raise your hands.

And Sly & The Family Stone's last relatively big hit, "If You Want Me To Stay" (Epic 5-11017, 1973) actually did have two B-sides: The first was "Thankful N' Thoughtful," before it was replaced by something called "Babies Makin' Babies."

And the first Santana LP (Columbia CS 9781, 1969) had two songs where the writers' credits were changed during the course of its run. The very first pressings listed Aaron Copland (!) as the composer of "Jingo" and one Jimmy Zack as the writer of "Evil Ways." (Copland was also initially listed as "Jingo"'s writer when it was issued as Santana's first single on Columbia 4-45010 that year.) The second run of pressings had "Jingo"'s credit changed to "M. Olatunji" (who'd recorded this number on his Drums of Passion album), while the third pressings corrected the songwriting credit for "Evil Ways" (which had actually been penned by Sonny Henry). And all this while the "360 Sound - Stereo" label design was still in use!

But since you mentioned the Carpenters: The label on the initial run of pressings of the Close To You LP erroneously listed the time of "Love Is Surrender" as 3:09 (the same time as "Maybe It's You" that followed) instead of 1:59.

Rick1229 said:

A 7' single--didn't know they made turntables that large. That'd be a helluva collector's item! :wink: Actually, would your single be worth more having the "incorrect" picture sleeve, as you have?

Rick1229 said:
Does anybody else have other interesting tidbits that have made you wonder?

The only A&M-related timing issue I can think of is TJB's "Plucky", which in the mono version, just runs straight through. In some stereo versions of the LP (and the CD), there's a "strip tease" section in the middle. I believe, though, that the singles or the LPs, depending on version, may have the wrong time listed.

Non-A&M: Cal Tjader's song with Stan Getz, "Ginza Samba," has at least three known versions. The original runs well over 8 minutes. The version on the stereo Greatest Hits runs 5:46. The mono Greatest Hits, however, runs an actual 2:02, but is still listed as 5:46 on the LP jacket or label (one's right, one isn't). The shorter version is also the version released as a 45RPM single. (Although it's a shocker to hear a long 8-minute jam trimmed down into two minutes.)

-= N =-

Okay so it's not a 7' single- that would be something- where would I keep it! I've often wondered if this blooper may be worth something- though I've never seen it listed in any collector's or price guide books.

Here's another little interesting thing I came across last night.

I have a 7" (look this is the correct size) single with an edited 5 min 43 sec version of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" with the full length version of "Calling Occupants..." on the b-side. It has an interesting picture sleeve. It was released as part of A&M's Memories collection with a pink and white label. The label number is AM 8629 and was released in 1980.
I've never seen the single listed anywhere in any catalogs, price guides, collector's guides, Carpenters listings, nowhere. I'm just curious as to why they decided to release this single which received a zero amount of promotion? Did this single even sell at all?

Rick1229 said:
Okay so it's not a 7' single- that would be something- where would I keep it!

In a 7' picture sleeve, of course!! :laugh: These were actually the "extended version" singles that enjoyed a brief popularity. Nothing like a four-hour extended version of a Carpenters song! The format died a quick death, due to a shortage of turntables with 12' platters (with those loooooong-play albums on 12' vinyl).

I've often wondered if this blooper may be worth something- though I've never seen it listed in any collector's or price guide books.

I have no clue if a misprinted picture sleeve is worth something. (Then again, with the right wording on eBay, it could be worth a small fortune. :wink: )

I have a 7" (look this is the correct size) single with an edited 5 min 43 sec version of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" with the full length version of "Calling Occupants..." on the b-side.

That itself is a feat--the grooves must be microscopic on the B side! It does seem an odd release, especially on the "memories" label which, IIRC, was mostly reissues to begin with. I like her version of "Argentina," but sales-wise, the entire Passage album wasn't a great seller.

-= N =-

That itself is a feat--the grooves must be microscopic on the B side!
I took a look at the grooves on the record. They look like they're pressed pretty tight. The grooves on the "Occupants" side take up less room on the record than on the "Argentina" side. The sound quality on this record is only fair. There is a slight amount of surface noise especially toward the end of each song. Maybe A&M used a lower grade of vinyl for the Memories series.

The Carpenters' version of "Argentina" is my favorite of all the versions I've heard. I also like Donna Summer's version, and surprisingly so I really enjoy Madonna's take on the song. I've heard Olivia Newton-John do the song on her "Making A Good Thing Better" album, though I feel Olivia just doesn't quite have the voice for this type of song.

Here's an idea for a new Carpenters compilation- a collection of songs which were not singles though gained attention. It could possibly be titled "The Album Tracks 1969-1983" :laugh: A few songs it may include?
Don't Cry...Argentina
Desperado
This Masquerade
A Song For You
Jambalaya (only on the US release) :?:

Rick, your idea about an album tracks compilation has already been done. It was put out in Japan and is called TREASURES. It's a 2-CD compilation, not to be confused with a later UK 1-CD compilation also called TREASURES. For the first disc, which contains all of the early tracks, Richard created new remixes (new at the time, late-80s), while the second disc was the newer recordings that didn't need remixing. It's a great sounding set and well-worth seeking out.

Track Listing of TREASURES:
Disc One:
1. Your Wonderful Parade
2. All of My Life
3. Eve
4. Baby It's You
5. Reason to Believe
6. Love is Surrender
7. Maybe It's You
8. Saturday
9. Let Me Be the One
10. A Song for You
11. Flat Baroque
12. Piano Picker
13. Crystal Lullabye
14. Bless the Beasts and Children
15. This Masquerade
16. I Can't Make Music
17. I Can Dream Can't I

Disc Two:
1. Happy
2. Sandy
3. One More Time
4. Two Sides
5. I Just Fall In Love Again
6. When It's Gone (It's Just Gone)
7. When You've Got What It Takes
8. Because We Are In Love
9. Now
10. Slow Dance
11. Look to Your Dreams

Harry
NP: radio at work

I bought CLOSE TO YOU (SP 4271) as soon as the album came out. On my copy, the back cover with song list is upside down. I assumed they all were, so you could just flip the LP cover once and read the back. But I've seen others with a normal right-side-up back cover.

Harry said:
15. This Masquerade

This song is really a favorite of mine! Like George Benson's version a lot (especially the intro). The Carpenters approach it differently, but it also comes off well. The TJB version, too, really is original. Trying to recall who else did it, but as of yet, I haven't heard a bad version of it!

-= N =-

I used to have a copy of the disc "22 Greatest Hits of The Carpenters". The label said manufactured in Hong Kong. "Close To You" was listed as "Closed To You"on both the cover and the disc. When I saw that I had to take a double and triple look and wondered how could they get the name of this internationally famous song wrong. I wonder if it was listed that way on all the pressings or if this is a fluke. Could it have been done intentionally or just a typo that was allowed to slip through.

Harry, thanks for the suggestion of "Treasures". I do happen to own it. I really enjoy the remixed songs- especially "Maybe It's You". The statement I made about an "Album Tracks" compilation was my distorted or maybe contorted commentary on how Universal has released so many Carpenters compilations- and of course I have purchased several of them.

My copy of 22 HITS OF THE CARPENTERS also lists "Closed To You" in the track list, and I suspect a bit of anti-Carpenters sabotage on that disc. It almost seems as though someone in power really hated either "Close To You" or Carpenters themselves when you realize that not only is the track listed incorrectly on the back insert, but the lyrics are mangled in the booklet too, and in some rather strange places:

From the lyrics in the booklet:
...Why so some
Fall down from the sky?
Everytime
You walk by?...

and,

...That is why
All the girls go down
Follow you all around...

I don't know -- it just seems suspicious to me, having encountered quite a few people over the years who really can't stand the song. I realize that many times, foreign translations of lyrics can get a few things wrong -- I've chuckled a few times at the Japanese translations in the Mendes disc and other Carpenters discs, but this seems almost malicious.

Harry
...suspicious, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom