[url]www.herbalpert.com[/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bet they bought "herbalpert.net" originally, because herbalpert.com was owned by some squatter. Then they eventually bought the rights to it and copied the site over, but didn't ever take ".net" down.

Doesn't matter anyway -- the site is pretty much behind the times!

Plus, I think it was just a promo effort for the DEFINITIVE HITS disc. That's what the main page focuses on. But, now that Mr. A has switched labels and the CD is already four years old, what more need is there for the site? Of course, Shout! Factory could have taken it over and updated some information.

Oh well....

Mike Blakesley said:
I'll bet they bought "herbalpert.net" originally, because herbalpert.com was owned by some squatter. Then they eventually bought the rights to it and copied the site over, but didn't ever take ".net" down.

Something else that is commonly done is to secure the .com name first, then at a later time, pick up other TLDs (top level domains) like .net, .org, .biz, .info, .us, etc. so that the name is "protected" somewhat. Since .com and .net were two of the first three well-known TLDs in the US, it's a natural for them to pick them both up and keep them reserved. I don't know if I totally agree with the concept--I mean, for Herb Alpert, there really is nobody else with that name, so I'd definitely consider reserving both. But if it's a more common personal or business name, the extra TLDs should help more people get a domain they can use, vs. having one person or company hoard ALL the variations of it.

In an even more bizarre twist, some major corporations have purchased names like walmartsucks.com or bestbuysucks.com (just an example--don't know if these actually exist) so that they can prevent other sites from putting up derogatory information.

And yes, there are still squatters out there who buy names for their "portfolio" that they think they can hold ransom for a lot of money. That's my biggest concern about herbalpert.com...it has only expired by just over a week, but it has, at most, 60 days past expiration before it goes back into the pool of available names. And if any squatters are watching it, and/or have "backorders" against it, it could be snatched up and essentially made unavailable unless Herb paid a handsome amount to get it back. (And they do watch the expired names, like hawks!!) For what it costs to renew (depending on registrar), it's cheap insurance to hang onto it even if you don't have an immediate use for it. I have a handful of domains myself that I've had a couple of clients ask me to set aside for future use. Quite different than squatting, actually.

Not so strange. A couple of us notified people in Herb's camp about it. Looks like they fixed up, although with the same old stuff.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom