Van Morrison TUPELO HONEY

Michael Hagerty

Contributor
Splitting off from my "Why isn't this available" thread in Jazz---why is TUPELO HONEY the only Van Morrison album not available on streaming? Does anyone know? It's not a temporary thing---been the better part of a decade.

Also Leo Sayer "Thunder In My Heart" (1977) & April Wine "Power Play" (1982) are missing from iTunes!!

That really is strange that it’s not available as a download, and a sealed cd is expensive. However a used cd is quite cheap if you want to go that route on Amazon. $4-10 plus shipping. Many to chose from. It was always a decent selling title back in the 70’s. A shame for those that don’t want or like physical copy to own.

I wonder if Morrison didn't want it reissued or released. It was an album he was never happy with.

45 Years Ago: Van Morrison Clears Out His Vaults with 'Tupelo Honey'

Yeah, but he didn't like HIS BAND AND STREET CHOIR, either he says---and that's available. According to that article, TUPELO HONEY was his highest-charting album.

Van's his own kinda guy, though. About ten years ago, I read a piece online by a writer who had been hiking Mt. Tamalpais in Marin County in the fog one morning and literally bumped into Van Morrison. He apologized, as he would to anyone, and then, recognizing Van, said "I'd just like to say how much I've enjoyed your music over the years."

Van's reply? A muttered "I don't understand why people feel the need to tell me this $#!^e"...as he walked away.

The man is capable of music of enormous beauty and transcendent spirituality---but appears to be a pretty cranky dude.

I'm not much of a Van Morrison fan, but he did a short interview with Time, which can be found on YouTube, if you look for it. It was conducted during the time when people were downloading and file-sharing, but I think you can deduce that he might have the same opinion about streaming nowadays.

Many of his albums are available on streaming, but Tupelo Honey is the one that hasn't been, and also has been out of print on CD for a long time.

Many of his albums are available on streaming, but Tupelo Honey is the one that hasn't been, and also has been out of print on CD for a long time.
Which is too bad, because, contrary to Van's opinion, it's a fine album.

Yeah, but he didn't like HIS BAND AND STREET CHOIR, either he says---and that's available. According to that article, TUPELO HONEY was his highest-charting album.

Van's his own kinda guy, though. About ten years ago, I read a piece online by a writer who had been hiking Mt. Tamalpais in Marin County in the fog one morning and literally bumped into Van Morrison. He apologized, as he would to anyone, and then, recognizing Van, said "I'd just like to say how much I've enjoyed your music over the years."

Van's reply? A muttered "I don't understand why people feel the need to tell me this $#!^e"...as he walked away.

The man is capable of music of enormous beauty and transcendent spirituality---but appears to be a pretty cranky dude.

it really must be because he doesn't like it, if you go to his official website and click music, the album is not listed there.

Finally found the answer to this one. In David Hepworth’s book “Never a Dull Moment (1971-The Year Rock Exploded)”, Ted Templeman says he spent two days creating a perfect mix of TUPELO HONEY, only to have Van scrap it and release an earlier, rougher mix.

According to Ted, two days after the record hit stores, Van called him in the middle of the night to say he was wrong.

Ted says he’d never work with Van again, as long as he lives.

Back
Top Bottom