🎵 AotW Various Artists: TOM'S ALBUM (A&M CD 5363)

LPJim

Staff member
1–DNA Featuring Suzanne VegaRusted Pipe
Featuring – Suzanne Vega Remix – DNA Written-By – Anton Sanko, Suzanne Vega
4:52
2–Suzanne VegaTom's Diner
Producer – Lenny Kaye, Steve Addabbo Written-By – Suzanne Vega
2:06
3–Peter BehrensDep De Dö Dep
Lyrics By [German Lyrics By] – Ralf-René Maué*Producer – Ralf-René Maué*Written-By – Ralf-René Maué*, Suzanne Vega
2:44
4–Nikki D.*Daddy's Little Girl
Lyrics By – N. Strong*, S. Reynolds*Producer – Sidney Reynolds*Written-By – N. Strong*, S. Reynolds*, Suzanne Vega
4:00
5–Beth WatsonWaiting At The Border
Lyrics By – David Forsyth, Michael Hirt zProducer – Michael Hirtz Vocals [Vocal] – Beth Watson Written-By – David Forsyth, Michael Hirtz, Suzanne Vega
3:15
6–Michigan & SmileyTom's Diner
Written-By – Suzanne Vega
3:22
7–n.d.a. Project*Tom's Diner
Producer – Severo LombardoniWritten-By – Suzanne Vega
2:45
8–Marilyn E. Whitelaw ; Mark Davis*Jeannie's Diner
Producer – Mark Davis*Vocals – Marilyn E. Whitelaw Voice [Additional Voices] – Mark Davis*Written-By – Mark Davis*, Suzanne Vega Written-By [I Dream Of Jeannie Theme Song By] – B. Kaye*, H. Montenegro*
2:12
9–After OneTom's Diner Rap
Co-producer – S-auo-NProducer – Lee York, Rick Layne Written-By – Suzanne Vega
2:16
10–Mats HöjerTages Kafé
Translated By [Swedish Translation By] – Mats Höje rWritten-By – Suzanne Vega
2:05
11–Bingo Hand JobTom's ?
Vocals [Uncredited] – Billy Bragg Written-By – Michael Stipe, Suzanne Vega
2:03
12–Suzanne VegaTom's Diner Reprise
Producer – Lenny Kaye, Steve Addabbo Written-By – Suzanne Vega
2:33
13–DNA Featuring Suzanne VegaTom's Diner
Featuring – Suzanne Vega Remix, Producer [Post Production By] – DNAWritten-By – Suzanne Vega
3:49

Back Cover:
P & © 1991 A&M Records, Inc.
Printed in the U.S.A.

CD Face:
DIDX 01102
℗ & © 1991 A&M Records, Inc.
Made in the U.S.A.

Booklet:
1. WB Music Corp./Waifersongs Ltd./redrubber music (ASCAP)
Original version on "Days Of Open Hand" 75021 5293 4/2
2. WB Music Corp./Waifersongs Ltd. (ASCAP)
Originally released on "Solitude Standing" 75021 5136 4/2
3. Melodie Der Welt/WB Music Corp. /Waifersongs Ltd. (ASCAP)
Produced (for MMP)
Originally released on Teldec Record Service GmbH (Germany)
Licensed from East/West Records GmbH (Germany)
4. WB Music Corp./Waifersongs Ltd./Daddy's Little Girl Pub., admin. by Def Jam Music, Inc./Rushtown Music, Inc., admin. by Steak and A Half Music (ASCAP)
Originally released on Def Jam/Columbia (USA)
Licensed from Def Jam Recordings (USA)
5. WB Music Corp./Waifersongs Ltd./Michael Hirtz Productions (ASCAP)
Licensed from Michael Hirtz Productions (USA)
6. WB Music Corp./Waifersongs Ltd. (ASCAP)
Originally released on RAS Records (Jamaica)
Licensed from Donovan Germain c/o RAS Records
7. WB Music Corp./Waifersongs Ltd. (ASCAP)
Licensed from Discomagic (Italy)
8. Earthquake Entertainment/Premiere Radio Networks/WB Music Corp./Waifersongs Ltd. (ASCAP)
Produced for Premiere Radio Networks
Licensed from Premiere Radio Networks (USA)
I Dream Of Jeannie Theme Song. Used by permission of Colgems-EMI Music Inc. (ASCAP)
9. WB Music Corp./Waifersongs Ltd. (ASCAP)
Co-produced for ZYX
Originally released on ZYX Records (Germany)
Licensed from Bernhard Mikulski Schallplaten Vertriebs GmbH
10. WB Music Corp./Waifersongs Ltd. (ASCAP)
Licensed from Liphone Records (Sweden)
11. WB Music Corp./Waifersongs Ltd./Bingo Hand Job (ASCAP)
Recorded live at Borderline, London
Used by permission of Warner Bros. Records (USA), R.E.M., Billy Bragg, Elektra Records and Peter Holsapple
12. WB Music Corp./Waifersongs Ltd. (ASCAP)
Originally released on "Solitude Standing" 75021 5136 4/2
13. WB Music Corp./Waifersongs Ltd. (ASCAP)
Originally released on "Jam Harder . . . The A&M Underground Dance Compilation" 75021 5339 4/2
Remix & Post Production for Raw Bass Productions
-
Ronald K. Fierstein for AGF Entertainment Ltd.
Mastered at Sterling Sound, NYC
Thanks to Tom Hart for letting us use his original Tom's art.
Acknowledgements to Nicole (Germany), Age 12; Vignette (USA), Age 3 1/2; Alan Coulthard (England), M.C. Sugar (France)
We weren't able to use them all.
DNA appears courtesy of EMI Records (U.K.)
Thanks to Henry Yori
℗ & © 1991 A&M Records, Inc.
Printed in the U.S.A.
-
Tom's Diner Lyrics
© 1987 WB Music Corp./Waifersongs Ltd. (ASCAP)
-
Translation of the German lyrics Dep De Dö Dep (Tom's Diner)
English translation courtesy of Melodie Der Welt, Frankfurt
© 1991 Melodie Der Welt
Used by permission.
-
Daddy's Little Girl Lyrics
© 1990 WB Music Corp./Waifersongs Ltd./Daddy's Little Girl Pub., admin. by Def Jam Music, Inc./Rushtown Music, Inc., admin. by Steak and A Half Music (ASCAP)
Used by permission.
-
Waiting At The Border Lyrics
© 1991 Michael Hirtz Productions
Used by permission.
-
Waggy Stone
He's a cop...and a good one.
Thomas Hart © 1982

Other Notes:
Track 5 credited to "Vocal by Beth Watson"
Track 8 credited to "Vocals by Marilyn E. Whitelaw; Additional Voices by Mark Davis"
Track 11 appears as "Tom's Diner (Live)" on Near Wild Heaven, credited to R.E.M.
Some variants do not have "*D*" in the inner ring mould.

Released 1991

JB

Until this post, I had no idea that there was a full album of "Tom's Diner" remixes. I WAS aware of the hit version by DNA featuring Suzanne Vega, and of course the original a capella version on SOLITUDE STANDING. But a whole album?

Back when I bought my 2007 Nissan Maxima, there was a commercial that Nissan ran that used the DNA with Suzanne Vega mix of the song as its backing. Naturally, I had to have that record so I poked around on eBay and found a CD Maxi with four tracks.

1609014657453.png

Though the insert mentions the SOLITUDE STANDING original, it doesn't mention this CD 5363.

My favorite cut is "Jeannie's Diner" which stylizes the theme from I Dream of Jeannie with Vega-esque vocals, with samples of Larry Hagman and other cast members. Hilarious!

"Waiting at the Border" and "Daddy's Little Girl" are decent as well.

--Mr Bill

Last edited:
Until this post, I had no idea that there was a full album of "Tom's Diner" remixes. I WAS aware of the hit version by DNA featuring Suzanne Vega, and of course the original a capella version on SOLITUDE STANDING. But a whole album?

Back when I bought my 2007 Nissan Maxima, there was a commercial that Nissan ran that used the DNA with Suzanne Vega mix of the song as its backing. Naturally, I had to have that record so I poked around on eBay and found a CD Maxi with four tracks.

1609014657453.png

Though the insert mentions the SOLITUDE STANDING original, it doesn't mention this CD 5363.
This CD single came out in mid-1990 (this was the hit single) - Tom's Album didn't come out until 1991. Presumably the album was given the green light after the success of the single.

In the UK, we also got another 12" remix of 'Tom Diner' by Alan Coulthard, which I don't think has ever appeared on CD. It's worth seeking out.

Re 'Jeannie's Diner', I agree that this was the highlight of the album in terms of the non-Vega tracks. Very cleverly done and so much fun!

This CD single came out in mid-1990 (this was the hit single) - Tom's Album didn't come out until 1991. Presumably the album was given the green light after the success of the single.

In the UK, we also got another 12" remix of 'Tom Diner' by Alan Coulthard, which I don't think has ever appeared on CD. It's worth seeking out.

Re 'Jeannie's Diner', I agree that this was the highlight of the album in terms of the non-Vega tracks. Very cleverly done and so much fun!

Back in the 90s Nick At Nite used "Jeannie's Diner" for their "VertaVision" promotion when both I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched were in their line up.

--Mr Bill

Back
Top Bottom