VH1 Poll Karen Carpenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpenters

:cry: On seeing the resullts for the 100 greatest women singers in this years VH1 poll i was extremely dissapointed and digusted that Karen only reached no 40. Obviously i will be biased, but so many people say to me that she has a great voice. Seeing the results for the top twenty makes you wonder what was going through peoples mind when voting. To me Karen will always no 1 because she had the most purest god given voice that no one could touch and will never touch. What do others think?

Polls are like statistics...there are 3 kinds of lies; lies, dammned lies, and statistics, Mark Twain once said. Show me an unbiased poll, and I'll show you a miracle!

One reason I don't get too upset over poll results comes from this one experience...back in about 1978, one of the major tv networks ranked the top 10 movies of all time---guess what movie ranked as number 10? STAR WARS, of course...it was phenominally popular back then, but has it proven to be a top 10 of-all-time movie? Hardly....it was on everybody's mind back then, and it was a well done effort, but somebodyobviously got carried away. I'd bet that Britny probably ranked higher than Karen, and Alliyah probably did, too...they're good, but the test of time will not be in their favor. They're both just hot right now, and sentimentality ranks as a real vote getter. For a poll to really mean something, the parameters have to be clearly explained, the participants have to be knowledgeable, and the poll has to make sense. Who voted? How many times did each person vote? Who conducted the poll? What was the margin for error? Unless the poll is conducted by experts and is participated in by knowledgeable, clear headed people that know what they're being polled on, it's best to let CNN handle it :rolleyes:

Dan

Carpenters said:
:cry: On seeing the resullts for the 100 greatest women singers in this years VH1 poll i was extremely dissapointed and digusted that Karen only reached no 40. Obviously i will be biased, but so many people say to me that she has a great voice. Seeing the results for the top twenty makes you wonder what was going through peoples mind when voting. To me Karen will always no 1 because she had the most purest god given voice that no one could touch and will never touch. What do others think?

Nothing changes with these modern Polls.....Perhaps we should be surprised that Karen finished 40th given that Teen Voters tend to know limited Musical History and place multiple votes for the current Teen Favs... :o

Even worse Ella Fitzgerald , Peggy Lee and Sarah Vaughan did not even rank in the Top 100 !! Dusty Springfield and Petula Clark were low down and even Streisand only managed No 22 :sad:

Should there be Polls on actual Vocal ability / Influence etc Karen would finish in the Top 10 -no problems.

Perhaps there needs to be a separation from Artists pre -1990 to current Hot Acts , who with chart hits , constant Videos and Airplay have too many advantages to distort Polls ...... :)

Peter....Real Talent Always Shines Through......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom