Vibes Beyond Cal, Hutch, and Burton...

JOv2

Any other jazz vibraharpists or marimbists to share?

I know of three recording artists from the 1960s of whom I particularly fond.

Lem Winchester: Released 4 solid LPs, 1959-60, then tragically passed.

lem.jpg

My favourite, Walt Dickerson: Released 4 LPs, 1961-62; by 1965, he left the scene for 10 years or so. His music is pacesetting for sure -- his bandmates include the progressive musicians Andrew Cyrille and Andrew Hill (the latter on 1 LP -- an early appearance!). His dates are all quartets (w/piano, double bass and drum kit) -- so he gives us that intimate chamber feel that Hutch favoured.

walt.jpg

Ayers, of course -- before the '70s. His three late '60s LPs for Atlantic are for the most part, solid post-bop sessions.

ayers.jpg

Roy Ayers was one of those who went off the rails in the 70s. Our local jazz station played a lot of his records, and it was more aligned toward funk than jazz at that time. It wasn't bad music, but it drifted far afield of jazz. I did see him in concert once, as part of a multi-bill. We went primarily to see Stanley Clarke and George Duke but unfortunately, their set (at the end) was plagued with sound problems. The audience around us, though...that's a story in itself, some of it I really shouldn't repeat here. 😁

Howzabout Milt Jackson? I haven't heard a lot of his records yet, but the few I've heard were quite good.

I Have one Cd by Roy Ayers and it's the 1973 "Virgo Red" it's kind of mid 70s funky soul it features a Good cover of the Stories One hit wonder "Brother Louie" I also like Vibists like Terry Gibbs ( his Latin connection album reminds me somewhat of Cal Tjader) and former Spyro Gyra Mallet man Dave Samuel's did a couple of Stellar solo efforts for GRP And others and Victor Feldman being a multi instrumentalist excelled on the vibes on many of his Albums through the years

Howzabout Milt Jackson? I haven't heard a lot of his records yet, but the few I've heard were quite good.
Yeah, funny thing about MJQ...I never really checked them out -- which would be considered a travesty of sorts on my part owing to my love of the 1955-70 period (doubly so given their renown chamber approach). I realize it's a gaping hole. Thanks for the reminder.

I think Dave Samuels did a Tjader tribute. Tjaderized, maybe? Although I liked the Poncho Sanchez tribute album a bit more--it seemed to capture the spirit of Tjader's old bands.

Tito Puente also wasn't too shabby on the vibes. His Mambo Diablo album features some nice vibe work on the title track and on "Lush Life." Local radio played the title track and it reminded me a lot of Tjader's work.

Tito Puente also wasn't too shabby on the vibes.
That's right! I have that 1956 RCA LP, Let's Cha-Cha with Puente. I forgot he's on vibes. Thanks for the reminder. I'll need to give it a spin.

I have 2 names.... First, I'll add Eddie Costa to this list. Costa played piano & vibes during his short career, and was a greatly respected session man in the 50s & early 60s. For me Costa was best on vibes and I have many jazz lps where he played as a sideman. He died in a car accident in 1962.

Also, Freddie McCoy. McCoy had some very cool soulful jazz lps on the Prestige label during the 60s. If they release his Prestige sides on cd one day, I'll certainly buy it.

All I could find was a brief compilation of Freddie McCoy and Johnny "Hammond" Smith. I may look into some vinyl LPs of his, out of curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom