⭐ Official Review [Video]: "INTERPRETATIONS"

WHICH CARPENTERS MUSIC VIDEO IS YOUR FAVORITE?

• 1.) Without A Song 1:01 (Youmans/Rose/Eliscu)

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • 2.) Superstar 3:49 (Russell/Bramlett)

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • 3.) Rainy Days and Mondays 3:36 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • 4.) Ticket to Ride 4:10 (Lennon/McCartney) *

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 5.) Reason to Believe 3:03 (Hardin)

• 6.) (They Long To Be) Close To You 4:33 (Bacharach/David)

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • 7.) Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft 7:07 (Woloschuk/Draper)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • 8.) Little Girl Blue 3:24 (Rodgers/Hart)

• 9.) Bless The Beasts and Children 7:07 (De Vorzon/Botkin, Jr.)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 10.) Please Mr. Postman 2:50 (Holland/Gorman/Dobbins/Bateman/Garrett) *

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • 11.) We've Only Just Begun 3:04 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12.) When I Fall In Love 3:08 (Heyman/Young)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • 13.) From This Moment On 2:39 (Porter)

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
“INTERPRETATIONS”

interpretationsld.jpg

Year of Release: 1994
Medium: DVD

Track Listing:

1.) Without A Song 1:01 (Youmans/Rose/Eliscu)
2.) Superstar 3:49 (Russell/Bramlett)
3.) Rainy Days and Mondays 3:36 (Williams/Nichols)
4.) Ticket to Ride 4:10 (Lennon/McCartney) *
5.) Reason to Believe 3:03 (Hardin)
6.) (They Long To Be) Close To You 4:33 (Bacharach/David)
7.) Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft 7:07 (Woloschuk/Draper)
8.) Little Girl Blue 3:24 (Rodgers/Hart)
9.) Bless The Beasts and Children 3:15 (De Vorzon/Botkin, Jr.)
10.) Please Mr. Postman 2:50 (Holland/Gorman/Dobbins/Bateman/Garrett) *
11.) We've Only Just Begun 3:04 (Williams/Nichols)
12.) When I Fall In Love 3:08 (Heyman/Young)
13.) From This Moment On 2:39 (Porter)

*Included on Japanese release only.

Produced by Paul Surratt and Fred Paskiewicz

Last edited:
Karen looks wonderful in this video, and I just love her interpretation of the song. One of my favorites.

Love the o dubs on w/o a Song and the attempt to display technique. Hmm mm mmmmmmmmm good stuff baby!

OOPS, the video for the song "Bless The Beasts And Children" is not 7:07 I don't think. :wtf: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I picked "Reason To Believe" (from 1971 "Make Your Own Kind Of Music"). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Favorite has to be the opener, "Without A Song". It's taken from the MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC special and cleverly populates the screen with lots of "Carpenters" to mirror the lush overdubs. Good stuff!

Harry
I like that too. A nice visual of how the song sounds, like a whole choir of Richard and Karen.

One of the things I loved about Carpenters from the beginning was that overdubbing of their voices, reminiscent of the Beach Boys.

Favorite has to be the opener, "Without A Song". It's taken from the MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC special and cleverly populates the screen with lots of "Carpenters" to mirror the lush overdubs. Good stuff!

These were my thoughts EXACTLY to a tee! Great minds... :wink:

This was a close call, I really like "When I Fall In Love" the wide angle shot coming down on Karen with just piano was a clever camera trick that works for me. I also really like how she plays to the camera, it's almost like she is speaking right to you with her mannerisms. For instance when she starts singing she is singing to herself head down, eyes not focused on the camera but then when she sings, "When I Fall In Love" and she eyes over to the camera and makes that first eye contact...I don't know that has always got my attention. Then at "or I'll never fall in love..." that's another famous Karen mannerism I like. She was very expressive in her delivery and in times means more to me then the lyrics of the song.

However with that said...my vote is actually for "From The Moment On" I just love that video so much more...an old standard that fits the Carpenters appeal but made fresh with Karen's playful actions and boy can she hold them notes. The interactions between Karen and Richard is how I want to remember them and each time I see this video it reminds me of the MMM Medley and the interaction between them as well. It's happy, contemporary and just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. I will say though that after that video ends and fades out to watercolor I know the happiness I felt soon ends with the saddest piano music I'd ever heard and then the sadness of Karen's loss to the world sets in on me.

Love this arrangement of "Little Girl Blue", it fits Karen's vocal range perfectly, and the video is beautifully done, it's not perfect, but it is so special. My fav moment of this video is at the end, the camera zooms in on Karen's face as she sings "Why won't somebody send a tender blue boy
To cheer a little girl blue"

...............and just hearing the saliva in Karen's mouth as she finishes that vocal is so real, even if the track was lip synced, you would never know.

My vote, also:
"Little Girl Blue".
Watched the DVD in its entirety (today) in order to reach a solid conclusion.
Gems abound, thus, the choice is incredibly difficult.
But, notice how the "Carpenters Tour Trunk--with lustrous Logo"
is carefully displayed on the stage, as Karen sings the song and walks past.
Poignant, graceful, melancholy and beautiful.

I went with 'Without A Song' too. When I first saw the opening segment of the video with this song and the multi-tracked visual takes of Karen and Richard to mirror the vocals, I was blown away. Very, very cleverly done. I didn't realise at the time that there was a TV special featuring this song and wondered why it stopped abruptly at 1:01.

OOPS, the video for the song "Bless The Beasts And Children" is not 7:07 I don't think. :wtf: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Wooops! JUST reading this and made the correction. Thanks for the heads up LOL

I've always been fascinated by Richard's arrangement of "From This Moment On" and love to see him play piano with Karen on this video. I thought it was interesting to hear Bach's Prelude No 2 from which Richard draws his version from. The piano work is so intricate and really makes you appreciate how Richard put this piece together with Karen interpreting the lyrics to a classical piece of art.

Here is the Live at the Palladium version.

Watch and listen to the "Bach's Prelude No 2 from The Well Tempered Clavier"
You can hear how Richard incorporated this into the Carpenters version of "From This Moment On" I find this fascinating especially at the 1 min mark when Karen is holding her note long time and check out the very last notes.

I've always been fascinated by Richard's arrangement of "From This Moment On" and love to see him play piano with Karen on this video. I thought it was interesting to hear Bach's Prelude No 2 from which Richard draws his version from. The piano work is so intricate and really makes you appreciate how Richard put this piece together with Karen interpreting the lyrics to a classical piece of art.

Here is the Live at the Palladium version.

You can hear how Richard incorporated this into the Carpenters version of "From This Moment On" I find this fascinating especially at the 1 min mark when Karen is holding her note long time and check out the very last notes.

All I can say is "wow!". After seeing that second video I have a new-found appreciation for this song. Karen's vocal work and breathing is actually stunning.

Actually Ken and Mitzi Welch wrote the adapted arrangement for Richard. What's really funny is someone asked me to teach them the intro to the song and she recorded me playing it:

I am appreciating From This Moment On, more and more !
Thanks to all members for enlightenment in this regard !
Interesting that Ella Fitzgerald also performs the song,
along with, Little Girl Blue. (and, Ordinary Fool).
A brilliant choice--to have Ella Fitzgerald guest on the Music, Music, Music Special.

Great Video.
As I finished watching this DVD this morn,
I wondered, at the very, very End, while credits are rolling,
there is the Piano Instrumental of
From This Moment On,
I assume this is Richard Carpenter 's arrangement and performance?

Great Video.
As I finished watching this DVD this morn,
I wondered, at the very, very End, while credits are rolling,
there is the Piano Instrumental of
From This Moment On,
I assume this is Richard Carpenter 's arrangement and performance?

It is.

The mr postman video is my favourite,karen looks in her element here,beautiful,happy and vibrant.while on one of the rides one can lip read her saying"iv forgot what part we're in"presumably which part of the song.

Not quite on the topic of a video (and I couldn't find another thread) but does anyone have a YouTube link or MP3 or something that has the audio for the pre-remixed cut of From This Moment On, before redone in stereo? I've always wanted to hear it but could never find it.

I am happy that From This Momemt On is finally getting the adoration it deserves. It is my favorite for not only does it showcase their talent, equally, but it shows the bond that was between them as brother and sister. Actually, my favorite version is the one from the Palladium CD. Karen's voice was stunning and it was live and performed with perfection. That being said, the one shown on this DVD still holds water and they both look great!

Not quite on the topic of a video (and I couldn't find another thread) but does anyone have a YouTube link or MP3 or something that has the audio for the pre-remixed cut of From This Moment On, before redone in stereo? I've always wanted to hear it but could never find it.
From This Moment On was originally cut from the Music, Music, Music special, so the video and mono audio together has never been released.

The U.K. CD version of Interpretations from 1994 (the CD that has 21 tracks) features the original mono mix, whereas the US CD (with 16 tracks) has the remixed stereo version that's found on the DVD. Of course, Richard always recorded and mixed the Carpenters TV tracks in stereo, with just the final mixdown for TV being in mono. And that's really the difference in the two: in one the piano's in mono, the other the piano is spread across the stereo stage.

Back
Top Bottom