⭐ Official Review [Video]: "YESTERDAY ONCE MORE"

WHICH CARPENTERS MUSIC VIDEO IS YOUR FAVORITE?

• 1.) We've Only Just Begun 4:09 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • 2.) Those Good Old Dreams 4:21 (Carpenter/Bettis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3.) Superstar 3:31 (Russell/Bramlett)

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • 4.) Rainy Days and Mondays 3:40 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • 5.) All You Get From Love Is A Love Song 3:46 (Eaton)

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • 6.) Top Of The World 2:58 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • 7.) Ticket To Ride 4:09 (Lennon/McCartney)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • 8.) Only Yesterday 3:46 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • 9.) Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft 7:07 (Klatuu)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 10.) Beechwood 4-5789 3:06 (Stevenson/Gaye/Gordy)

• 11.) Touch Me When We're Dancing 3:19 (Skinner/Wallace/Bell)

• 12.) I Need To Be In Love [DVD Release Only] 3:47 (Carpenter/Bettis/Hammond)

• 13.) Hurting Each Other 2:48 (Udell/Geld)

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • 14.) Please Mr. Postman 2:50 (Garrett/Holland/Gorman/Dobbins/Bateman)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • 15.) There's A Kind Of Hush 2:57 (Reed/Stephens)

• 16.) (They Long To Be) Close To You 3:42 (Bacharach/David)

• Total voters
Burt's version was released in early 1971....just after 'Close To You' by Carpenters had exploded on the airwaves. I've always loved the 'Burt Bacharach' album. His version of 'Close To You' is so classy. Using his recording in the closing credits was a masterstroke on Richard's part. It just captures Karen's spirit perfectly.

Seemingly, Burt's idea for his A&M albums was to not sound like the hit versions--these were more like new instrumental rearrangements where he could reinvent the song. I do listen to some of his A&M albums, but tend to gravitate toward new compositions made for the albums (his originals of course), or albums of new material such as on Futures and Woman. For anything that was a hit, such as Dusty Springfield's "The Look of Love", or much of what Dionne Warwick released as a single, I go to the originals. In fact, if he had done nothing but instrumentally reproduce those hits, the albums really wouldn't have held up over time.

Back in his pre-A&M days and even slightly after, his style as a producer and arranger was relentless--he drove his artists hard to get that exact sound he wanted. It is high praise for him to say that Richard nailed that arrangement.

After the upset of the 1981 videos represented and the closing of disc with Bacharach's CTY it's kind of a downer. Ba ba ba, ba ba, bababa...slow like a funeral procession. Lovely? Yes! It's a reality check of sorts the fade out like VOICE OF THE HEART and the closing piano of Richard's trailing off to aloneness. Look To Your Dreams...hmmm...I was and now what? Not only does VOICE have Rich alone, we're sitting right there next to him. Still in disbelief. Thank god for psychiatric meds.

Jeff

Yeah, that final minute of piano and those images was perfectly poignant. I got this video within a few months of getting into the Carpenters, and I always remember getting chills at the moment, at the VERY end, where she waves to either a fan or her father off-screen, then they reverse the action by 1/2 a second and freeze the frame, then the pair are encapsulated forever in their LOGO from '75, the piano ends and the In Memory comes up. It's been a long time since I've watched that video. I'll have to put it on.

Yeah, that final minute of piano and those images was perfectly poignant. I got this video within a few months of getting into the Carpenters, and I always remember getting chills at the moment, at the VERY end, where she waves to either a fan or her father off-screen, then they reverse the action by 1/2 a second and freeze the frame, then the pair are encapsulated forever in their LOGO from '75, the piano ends and the In Memory comes up. It's been a long time since I've watched that video. I'll have to put it on.
I - sadly, don;t have a way of playing my old VHS anymore... is this on YouTube anywhere? I may want to re-visit it...

I - sadly, don;t have a way of playing my old VHS anymore... is this on YouTube anywhere? I may want to re-visit it...

Here you go....fast forward to 3m50s.

Certainly this has been broached previously.
I find this commercial interesting,
as it accentuates the up-beat tempo songs w/video clips:
"...begins with ..Love Song... BEechwood...Top of The World... ..Touch Me When We're Dancing....Postman...
...Sweet,Sweet Smile.. closing with Hurting Each Other, Rainy Days and Mondays,Close to You
".
I vaguely remember seeing the spot on Television back in the day.

I'm Old.

"...begins with ..Love Song... BEechwood...Top of The World... ..Touch Me When We're Dancing....Postman...
...Sweet,Sweet Smile.. closing with Hurting Each Other, Rainy Days and Mondays,Close to You
".

I'm Old.

Me too. I think I purchased the 2 album set from this ad.

I must not have been watching the right TV channels at the right time, because I either don't recall it, or maybe I'd seen it once or twice and dismissed it as a "cheapening" of Carpenters product, sort of a K-tel version of their records.

At that time I was not into collecting multiple versions of things. To me, at that time, if I had all the original albums and the few non-album singles, then there wasn't a need for a compilation.

Little did I realize that this was a licensed A&M product at the time. The next year, however, when I got wind of remixes on the ice-blue package, that's when I went ahead and bought that 1985 comp - and the British version that I found as an import (SING1). The old TV version didn't find its way into my collection until just this past year - and as an ebay purchase it came to me in warped form. But at least I can identify the mixes from it - and they're all standard album versions (except "Top Of The World" is the single mix, "Ticket To Ride" is the 73 remix, the 69-73 trilogy is intact here, and "Those Good Old Dreams" is the single version).

Harry

".

I'm Old.

I've never seen this before, wow what cool commercial...so can I call now and order?? :D

This is the only Official Review thread I could find for the 85 Yesterday Once More....
I found this cool Billboard Ad Promo that ran for the 85 release of Yesterday Once More (The Album and The Video), it's not the best copy some glare but still nostalgic.
Found in Billboard Mag issue April 27, 1985.

Harry, do you want to add this Promo to the database for the 85 Yesterday Once More CD.

Billboard%20Carpenters%20Yesterday%20Once%20More%20Ad%20April%2027%201985.jpg~original

Yes, one of my clients in the 80's owned a video store and encouraged my wife and I to go with a Beta VCR over VHS for better quality. The Yesterday Once More video was the first Beta tape I ever bought. Needless to say, we had to buy a VHS within a couple of years, and I bought it again on VHS. Still have them both!

Whenever I hear the word Beta tape or Betamax it reminds me of the Olivia Newton-John tv special Let's Get Physical, it was eventually released on VHS but it did not include the tv version but just the videos one after the other. The actual tv special Olivia would introduce each video either at the beach, at the barn with her horse, inside her house doing housecleaning or out in the pool before the Dolphin video plays. The tv version with her added intro parts were very cool but never released on the VHS. I say all this because the reason all her speaking parts (that were omited from the VHS) surfaced on youtube is because an Olivia fan had a betamax player and taped the original Let's Get Physical TV Special on a beta tape.

Sorry for going off topic but that word beta just triggered old memories.

Back
Top Bottom