⭐ Official Review [Video]: "YESTERDAY ONCE MORE"

WHICH CARPENTERS MUSIC VIDEO IS YOUR FAVORITE?

• 1.) We've Only Just Begun 4:09 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • 2.) Those Good Old Dreams 4:21 (Carpenter/Bettis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3.) Superstar 3:31 (Russell/Bramlett)

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • 4.) Rainy Days and Mondays 3:40 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • 5.) All You Get From Love Is A Love Song 3:46 (Eaton)

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • 6.) Top Of The World 2:58 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • 7.) Ticket To Ride 4:09 (Lennon/McCartney)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • 8.) Only Yesterday 3:46 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • 9.) Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft 7:07 (Klatuu)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 10.) Beechwood 4-5789 3:06 (Stevenson/Gaye/Gordy)

• 11.) Touch Me When We're Dancing 3:19 (Skinner/Wallace/Bell)

• 12.) I Need To Be In Love [DVD Release Only] 3:47 (Carpenter/Bettis/Hammond)

• 13.) Hurting Each Other 2:48 (Udell/Geld)

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • 14.) Please Mr. Postman 2:50 (Garrett/Holland/Gorman/Dobbins/Bateman)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • 15.) There's A Kind Of Hush 2:57 (Reed/Stephens)

• 16.) (They Long To Be) Close To You 3:42 (Bacharach/David)

• Total voters
I have that 7" Radio EP @ 33 1/3 rpm
Here are some pics, I'm not sure how rare it is but I like how they marketed this with the same color as the 1985 album.

yxFSX20.jpg

4Ikny8n.jpg

dlqsqID.jpg

bV8qIV0.jpg

This is what I have. Wonder how many there are out there?
Hopefully we have something valuable as well as collectible. Thanks guys!

I still recall the program director calling me into his office the day that sampler came out. He played the four tracks for me and I knew I had to have the album YESTERDAY ONCE MORE. He managed to get me a copy of the album, but not the sampler. It wasn't for many years that I finally tracked down a copy of that sampler.

Here is the official A&M poster for this video release for reference. 18x20
PcKP9iq.jpg

Those elusive shots from Karen’s solo album were still relatively unseen in 1984 (aside from the VOTH cover) and it’s a pity the one used for this poster is obscured by the overlaid photo of Richard. It’s exactly the same on the album insert. Had I seen this back then I’d have wanted that photo enlarged to make into a poster and that overlap would have annoyed the hell out of me :laugh:

For UK fans who haven’t seen it, there’s a show featuring most of these tracks and their accompanying videos which is still available on UK Channel 5 via the app; this ran originally in 2016 and has been repeated a few times over the Christmas period here in the UK.

In a 14-year career, brother-and-sister duo Richard and Karen Carpenter won three Grammys and had 17 US Adult Contemporary Billboard chart number ones. Narrated by Ken Bruce, this programme features classic performances and official music videos of 16 songs featuring the much-loved duo. Each is accompanied by interesting and fun facts about the duo that President Richard Nixon once described as `Young America at its very best'.

I have YOM on DVD (japanese release on jewel case from the mid 90's), also on Laser Disc, and recently got it on VHD (just for the fun of having it)
My VHS copy must have been likely the most watched title of my life. I absolutely worn out that one.

🖐 Lots of hands raised here. Yes, I still have the original VHS tape and the record album with the upside down panels. Over the years, I've added many other version of that one video program with its many titles.

First came an Asian VCD called ONLY YESTERDAY. These were CDs that were encoded with low-resolution video, playable in some DVD players.
Then I found the first DVD of the title called GOLD, and around the same time there was a weird DVD released in Brazil called CARPENTERS: SUPER HITS. It was the same videos, but in chronological order, so those videos that sort of segued were now chopped at the start or end.

Then in my collection, I have a DVD+CD package called GOLD. It has the standard GOLD DVD and a CD of the 20th Century Millennium disc, an odd package to be sure. It's housed in a flip-page CD jewel case.

Next up came another CD/DVD package called GOLD. This one's in a DVD-sized slipcover case. Inside that is a trifold holder that has the two US CDs of GOLD on one page (overlapping), and a DVD of GOLD on the other. This was part of Universal's Sound + Vision series that also had a nearly identical ABBA package.

Finally, there's the GOLD DVD that was included in the 40th anniversary set. This one has Richard's commentary track on it, making it most worthwhile. Though I don't own a 40th set, a kind fan who did, made me a copy of the DVD disc.

I’ve got the 2 CD + Bonus DVD edition of Gold that has two CDs containing the US Gold tracklist (2 x 20 tracks), with the usual YOM collection on the bonus DVD. The outer box cover features the tracklist for the two disc US Gold, but the inner gatefold housing features the UK Gold tracklist for CD1 and the Christmas Portrait tracklist for CD2. Made in the EU as stated on the outer case, not the US.

If that’s not bizarre enough, the outer case states copyright 2003, but the 2 CDs state copyright 2004.

Last edited:
I’ve got the 2 CD+Bonus DVD edition of Gold that has two CDs containing the US Gold tracklist (2 x 20 tracks), with the usual YOM collection on the bonus DVD. The outer box cover features the tracklist for the two disc US Gold, but the inner gatefold housing features the UK Gold tracklist for CD1 and the Christmas Portrait tracklist for CD2. Bizarre.

That's because at the same time, one of these Sound + Vision packages had the Christmas album packaged with GOLD. I never found that one. Good thing too - I don't need it!

That's because at the same time, one of these Sound + Vision packages had the Christmas album packaged with GOLD.

It’s only when I checked now that the tracklist on the inner gatefold doesn’t match that of the outer case or the contents of either CD. The whole package is a mash up of two different sets. Never even noticed before and I’ve had this since 2003!

Last edited:
🤚🏼
I bought my VHS copy the week it was released. I also picked up the laserdisc years later.

I was so excited about it that I invited about 30 good friends over to the fraternity and I rented a VCR (!) We also bought a keg of Coors Light. :wink:

We all watched it together in the ‘Senior Lounge’. It was quite the hit. Nothing but positive comments from start to finish. I remember the whole room cracked up when we saw Karen and Richard’s big bell jeans. Total time warp.

Last edited:
That old VHS-HIFI sounded great on my Panasonic VHS HIFI player with sound running through my stereo.

Here is the promo flyer inside the Yesterday Once More LP to order the video.
I'm sure some of you kept this like me.

It was indeed a very special remembrance of the Carpenters in 1985.
How excited it was to see for the first time on VHS tape.

Check out the logos and mention of mono compatible in this flyer.

ASNfYVn.jpg

That mono only is funny, considering that for Beta & VHS ALL Hi-Fi VCR’s has to record a mono audio track—-although I’ve never heard of “Dolby System Mono compatible”. I know for a short time (1982-1985) when they were putting Linear Stereo on VHS tapes (it never got put on Beta) they were using Dolby B sound (Like what was on audio tapes) to help combat the poor sound quality of linear stereo, (since the dynamic range was cut in half) which just split the already small linear mono audio track into 2 stereo tracks. But most Hi-Fi tapes had “Mono Compatible” under the Hi-Fi logo, without any Dolby mention.

I thought my Beta hi-fi unit was awesome back around 1983. Hi-fi prerecorded videos were a novelty for the first couple of years. Mine is a Sanyo unit. I still have it, along with a couple hundred tapes. It needs to be adjusted because like most players after awhile, it eats the tapes when I eject them. Cleaning doesn’t help. Plus I would rarely if ever even use it anyway. The sound and picture are so outdated now.I have a lot of Disney animation and personal favorites that have never been issued on dvd, so I hold on to the machine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom