⭐ Official Review [Video]: "YESTERDAY ONCE MORE"

WHICH CARPENTERS MUSIC VIDEO IS YOUR FAVORITE?

• 1.) We've Only Just Begun 4:09 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • 2.) Those Good Old Dreams 4:21 (Carpenter/Bettis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3.) Superstar 3:31 (Russell/Bramlett)

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • 4.) Rainy Days and Mondays 3:40 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • 5.) All You Get From Love Is A Love Song 3:46 (Eaton)

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • 6.) Top Of The World 2:58 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • 7.) Ticket To Ride 4:09 (Lennon/McCartney)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • 8.) Only Yesterday 3:46 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • 9.) Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft 7:07 (Klatuu)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 10.) Beechwood 4-5789 3:06 (Stevenson/Gaye/Gordy)

• 11.) Touch Me When We're Dancing 3:19 (Skinner/Wallace/Bell)

• 12.) I Need To Be In Love [DVD Release Only] 3:47 (Carpenter/Bettis/Hammond)

• 13.) Hurting Each Other 2:48 (Udell/Geld)

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • 14.) Please Mr. Postman 2:50 (Garrett/Holland/Gorman/Dobbins/Bateman)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • 15.) There's A Kind Of Hush 2:57 (Reed/Stephens)

• 16.) (They Long To Be) Close To You 3:42 (Bacharach/David)

• Total voters
If anyone is interested in seeing the "Yesterday Once More" version of the "We've Only Just Begun" video with overture intro:

Hi everyone,

I have been looking through some of the music videos on "YOM" frame-by-frame, and wanted to report back! I've found that, for at least two music videos, "Superstar" and "There's a Kind of Hush (All Over the World)", the video was actually slowed down (even though "There's a Kind of Hush" is still sped up compared to the album version). Frame-by-frame, both films have 4 frames of movement, then 1 frame duplicating the fourth frame. And this pattern repeats: 4 moving frames, then the 5th frame is identical to the 4th frame.

To me, this explains why this black & white video from GTK Australia sounds sped up compared to the "YOM/Gold" version:

I hope someday we can see these music films (and more!) at their unadjusted speeds, and without the edits!

Hi everyone,

I have been looking through some of the music videos on "YOM" frame-by-frame, and wanted to report back! I've found that, for at least two music videos, "Superstar" and "There's a Kind of Hush (All Over the World)", the video was actually slowed down (even though "There's a Kind of Hush" is still sped up compared to the album version). Frame-by-frame, both films have 4 frames of movement, then 1 frame duplicating the fourth frame. And this pattern repeats: 4 moving frames, then the 5th frame is identical to the 4th frame.

To me, this explains why this black & white video from GTK Australia sounds sped up compared to the "YOM/Gold" version:

I hope someday we can see these music films (and more!) at their unadjusted speeds, and without the edits!

That’s NTSC 3:2 pulldown you are seeing. That’s how 24fps to 29.97 fps is done. Even modern DVD, Blu-Ray and streaming devices do it on the fly, so that if you are going from a 24fps program to a TV that can’t accept a 24p image, then the device can display it at 29.97. But in 1985 that’s all they could do.

PAL uses either 2:2 pulldown where every frame is duplicated. Or the other option is simply playing the film at a faster speed in order to get it to 25 FPS.

That’s NTSC 3:2 pulldown you are seeing. That’s how 24fps to 29.97 fps is done. Even modern DVD, Blu-Ray and streaming devices do it on the fly, so that if you are going from a 24fps program to a TV that can’t accept a 24p image, then the device can display it at 29.97. But in 1985 that’s all they could do.

PAL uses either 2:2 pulldown where every frame is duplicated. Or the other option is simply playing the film at a faster speed in order to get it to 25 FPS.
Whoa, I wonder if this is because my YOM DVD is from Japan?

If that's the case, I may have set my MP4s at a wrong FPS...

Japan also uses NTSC, just like the US & Canada.
Thanks! I just learned that you were right with the 3:2 pulldown. Now I'm mindful to detelecine film-sourced videos when viewing on my computer. Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom