1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Vintage radios and audio equipment

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Rudy, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin Thread Starter

US
    From the days of radios, vacuum tubes, and anything else up until then, a thread to feature some of these items. :)

I scored rather well this past week. I picked up a Grundig 2420 radio from my buddy's dad's house, where they have been clearing it out for eventual sale later this month. It was his grandmother's radio, and she used to listen to WJR (760 AM) all the time. It does need more cleaning, but the cabinet and grille cloth are all in excellent condition. There is a continuous rustling sound regardless of the volume level, so that could indicate there are some tube sockets that need to be cleaned, a tube going bad, or even some capacitors that are past their prime. I did find schematics for the 2420 (thanks to SAM'S Photofacts).

The Grundig 2420 has the AM band (labeled "BC"), FM, and shortwave. The switch labeled "PU" is actually for a phono pickup or a tape head, which connects to a 5-pin DIN socket on the rear. My goal is to put a Chromecast Audio on that input so I can cast anything like Pandora or TuneIn Radio (imagine finding some old radio broadcasts to play on it!), or anything from my music server. I also want to play around with the shortwave band and see what I can pick up.

The main reason I grabbed it is because my uncle had the exact same radio. And when he remodeled the kitchen and brought it into the office, that radio put in a solid 45 hours per week back in the warehouse. They are quite durable, these old Grundigs!

Here it is prior to cleaning up.

IMG_20180630_195557-01.jpeg

Bobberman likes this.
  2. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

Looks very good i see it even has a SW ( shortwave band) but these days I wouldn't expect a radio this old to be able to still pull in international signals on shortwave

3. Rudy

US
    I get some faint hits on SW, but I need a better antenna to do that. A tip I read mentioned connecting a wire to the center screw on a power outlet--that will use the ground wiring throughout the house as a large antenna.

One other thing it needs is an EM87 which is the Magic Eye vacuum tube for the tuning indicator--this one is visible but -weak. I don't know how the other tubes are. I may have to find one of our local audio club members who has a tube tester on hand. I did find a 5-DIN to 3.5mm adapter, which is perfect--I can feed the audio from anything else into the radio.

4. Yeah, antennas are the key to good shortwave reception. Up until we moved south, I had a Grundig portable radio that Marie's aunt gave to me. It had a bunch of bands and a huge whip antenna, plus a rotating coil antenna for AM reception. After all of the years it sat around, it still worked - and worked pretty well. I just didn't have any room for it down here, and I already own a Sony multiband SW radio with digital tuning, not to mention so many other radios that I've been slowly getting rid of at yard sales and such.

But I also recall from my youth, a friend of the family had one of these Grundigs with the piano keys like that. When I got older I was allowed to play with it. They had such good tuners.

Bobberman likes this.
  5. Rudy

US
    For an old beast with vacuum tubes and aging capacitors, it still seems to work pretty darned good for being ~44 years old! The Grundings did have good tuners. Even better if I can get an antenna hooked to it. The FM antenna is internal, but even there, they have an antenna input on the back for FM, separate from the AM/SW antenna.

Bobberman likes this.
  6. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Active Member

Also bear in mind the Antique Radio Forums is to vintage radios what A&M Corner is to our music.

Rudy likes this.
  7. Rudy

US
    I actually started a thread on it over at AK. :wink:

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  8. KentTeffeteller

And I have seen it. A very nice radio. And they have nice, mellow audio.

Rudy likes this.
  9. Rudy

US
    I received the 5-DIN plug, and it works perfectly on the PU input. Now I just have to find time to take the back off and find out why there is a rustling sound. I believe it's the tubes. Since I have another amp that uses an EL84, and have a spare tube from that, I may try swapping that one to see if it makes a difference. The contacts in the tube sockets likely are oxidized, so even jiggling the tubes may help.

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  10. KentTeffeteller

Try cleaning the contacts on the tube sockets, those can cause this issue. Also, you could try swapping tubes and see if the noise changes or quietens, Rudy!