Vintage radios and audio equipment

Yeah, I thought that looked familiar. I took a look and that might have been the Realistic LAB12, made by BSR:

upload_2018-11-4_12-59-25.png

Radio Shack also used to have a scattered few turntables that were made by ELAC/Miracord, which were more expensive. The Miracord died off in the 70s or 80s, but was recently revamped by ELAC as part of their push to reenter the US market. The Miracord 90 (for their 90 year anniversary):

upload_2018-11-4_12-56-20.png

Realistic Miracord 46:

upload_2018-11-4_12-57-14.png

Yep, very similar. Mine seemed to have a rocker switch on the front left. As I recall it was a power switch. But everything else is very similar, down to the genuine woodgrain paper sticker !

I believe my Realistic LAB-50 was a BSR product also. It had a neat feature where you could interchange the spindles--it had an inverted-umbrella-style stacker spindle (the records had to balance on it, as there was no support arm), a spindle attached to a "cup" which fit snugly over the hub on the turntable for single-play use, and a solid spindle with a notch milled into the bottom of it which was for repeat-play of a single record. I still have that thing buried in the basement somewhere. I sort of hate to get rid of it since it was my first "real" turntable. :wink:

upload_2018-11-4_17-40-19.png

I still keep my LAB-400 as a "beater." It was not designed the best (it is a direct drive, and it has the typical "pulsing" of the speed of the platter), but it's built like a tank, and I can swap cartridges on it due to the removable headshell. I also wired it up for 78 RPM, and have a Shure M44 cartridge with the 78 RPM stylus so I can transfer any that I come across. Haven't had it connected in over 10 years now, though--no room currently!

upload_2018-11-4_17-40-54.png

The Admiral upright console in our basement had its turntable maybe wear out...I don't recall. But we got my grandfather's Heathkit changer to replace it with, as a hand-me-down, when he upgraded to a Garrard SynchroLab 95. This Heathkit changer was made by Glaser Steers. It is similar to this one--same styling, but it was grey, not black. We had the typical no-name ceramic cartridge back in the day. :D

upload_2018-11-4_17-45-37.png

That Glaser-Steers is very nice, one of the best changers in that era. I like better BSR offerings (the 510, 610, 710, and 810 being their best offerings, the first two the top of the standard lineup).

I own a German table radio (A Nordmende Turandot-C) and also own a console with a VM changer (a JC Penney 1962 Penncrest tube console, a late VM Stere-O-Matic cousin of the Tri-O-Matic)

The JC Penney Penncrest console got donated to Habitat Restore. Habitat Restore had a 1966 Fisher Electra VIII console, with hybrid tuner/ preamplifier and power amplfier, and separate FM Multiplex unit fitted, And a Dual 1010 record changer with Pickering V15F magnetic cartridge and 3 way speakers, with senior discount, about $100. The changer works, everything else does. Cleaned a lot of pots, switches, and connections, And it's playing music somewhat well. Needs some changer service (though works well), and critical electrolytic caps replaces (did get checked by Dim Bulb Tester for shorts, and by Kill-A-Watt for excessive current draw, and ran up gradually on a Variac to prevent transformer damage. It sounds good if bass light, and will be better once fully overhauled. As I plan on using it often.

I wish I had room for a few old pieces like that, but we are beginning a major downsizing in anticipation of a possible relocation. Even if we don't relocate, we just have way too much "stuff" here. I ended up with a lot of components over the years, and don't really know what to do with them--I I don't have time to ship things out if I sell them, and if I sell locally, the local Craigslist buyers will beat me up over price, offering a small fraction of my original asking price. A couple of the higher-end pieces I could probably move along, though.

Rudy,

I've dreamed of owning a middle of the line or higher Fisher console in the Custom Electra class or higher, since I was 8 years old. Worth the wait to be the conservationist of my 1966 Fisher Custom Electra VIII, and yes, it's getting fed a diet of early A&M period correct Ochre label classics like it's owner likely heard when new. Yes, and echoed. I was lucky on this one, right place, right time, money in hand. And the Habitat Restore staff knowing me well enough I wouldn't gut it helped.

Big issue with many older Dansettes with one tube amplifiers. The 3 volt mono only BSR Ful-Fi cartridge is unobtainable and very expensive (as in over $100). Prone to going bad (often no output). And not being newly manufactured. Not that I'd ever let my records near one.

Back
Top Bottom