Vinyl to CD Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captaindave

Can anyone tell me a business or service that could convert a vinyl album to a CD?

A couple years ago, I had a VHS converted to DVD.

Is there a type of service that can do this kind of thing on a routine basis that I might look for locally?

Personally I'd recommend a do-it-yourself conversion by buying a turntable that you can hook up to your computer. Depending on how many vinyls you want to transfer to CD, it could save some money in the long run (?). I got a turntable that I could hook up to my computer via USB cable and did it all there. I've transferred several records to computer, then burned the files to CD, and I've been very happy with the results. Is it studio-quality remastering? Hardly. But it saves me a few bucks and gives me the music I enjoy.

I second the recommendation for the "do-it-yourself" method. It's quite satisfying to produce something you want for yourself.

But it requires a turntable, either a stand-alone CD recorder, or a way to get the turntable output into your computer - and that would have to have a CD burner installed.

Then there's the time involved. You can't "rip" an LP quickly. It pretty much has to be done in, at the least, real-time.

For those people that don't want to do it themselves, haven't the equipment or the time, there are services out there that do it for you for a price.

The first one I found on a Google search of "LP to CD conversion" is:

http://www.lptocd.com/

I've never used them and haven't the foggiest idea if they are reputable or even good. Only by trial and error could one find out, I suppose. But their webpage looks decent anyway, for what that's worth...

Harry

Since almost any computer these days has a CD burner built in, I have to "third" the recommendation to go the do-it-yourself route.

If you have a sound card, it's simple to plug in your stereo to the card and use CD-maker software to do the transfer.

No sound card, or no stereo system to plug in? Then just get the turntable that plugs into a USB port. This option costs anywhere from $150 to $200 depending on the equipment quality, and it will come with the software to remove scratches and so on. You would probably save money doing it this way vs. hiring a service - and you won't have to send your irreplaceable LPs through the mail.

If you don't have a CD burner, they're cheap and you can get one that plugs into USB easily.

NOTE: The USB turntables are NOT as high-quality as the ones that existed in hi-fi systems back in the good old days - shop around for the best one if you decide to go that route.

Mike Blakesley said:
NOTE: The USB turntables are NOT as high-quality as the ones that existed in hi-fi systems back in the good old days - shop around for the best one if you decide to go that route.

In short, they'll pulverize your vinyl... *sigh*

Yeah, that's what I've heard. I've never seen one of those in the flesh, but I am surprised nobody has come out with a "high end" one.

A decent new turntable these days will run $500 or more, and the cartridge at least another $150. Used? You can score bargains on some great older pieces that will play circles around the plasticky mass market junk out there today.

Just paging thru the new issue of Billboard, they mention a Denon turntable with a USB connection. Right now it's only available in Japan. List price is the equivalent of $320. That's the highest-priced one of these I've seen yet...wonder if it's any good? I have no Denon experience but it's a pretty good turntable maker, eh?

I had a Denon turntable years ago and I was happy with it. As I recall, the cartridge was a P-Mount and the sound was pretty decent.

Ed

I have several stereo components made by Denon and I’m completely satisfied with them; although my turntable is made by Sony (a nice but discontinued model). I’ve seen the Denon turntables in the audiophile showroom at the Yodobashi store (www.yodobashi.com) in Yokohama and they look well made; the high end models look gorgeous!

High End
M000014975610002.jpg
M000007658710002.jpg

Mid Range
M000007516210002.jpg

Low End
M000003579610002.jpg

The new Denon turntables are very expensive and have the Stanton T 90 arm on them. Not too good and very overpriced. Get you a Technics SL-1200 and a good cartridge and be done with it. If you need needledrops and lack time to do it or equipment, PM me and we'll discuss options.

Mike Blakesley said:
Just paging thru the new issue of Billboard, they mention a Denon turntable with a USB connection. Right now it's only available in Japan. List price is the equivalent of $320. That's the highest-priced one of these I've seen yet...wonder if it's any good? I have no Denon experience but it's a pretty good turntable maker, eh?

They were, back in the day. I'm sure their current better turntables are nice as well, but haven't seen one in the flesh. My best turntable system in the house uses a Denon DP-1000 direct drive deck, and a Sumiko/Grace G707-II tonearm. There are some other classic Denon turntables on eBay, ones that I remember drooling over in the high-end audio shops back in the 80s. :D

I'm not too keen on the Music Hall MMF-2.1 turntable that I own, as its design seems very cheap. A lot of corners were cut. BUT, the thing just boggles my mind in that it still sounds decent despite the design flaws. With a good platter mat on it, the speed is quite stable for a belt drive, and it's actually fairly good. I bought it as a fixer-upper (partially due to the cost-cutting design). The cartridge is crap (a Dynavector DV10X3, which is a very dull, dead-sounding cartridge), but I will upgrade that to an Audio Technica AT440MLa when I get a chance.

Rudy,

The new Denons are made by someone else. They're decent but not up to your old one. The high end one is over $700 and inferior quality to a Technics SL-1200 Mk II. The best USB turntable available is the Project Debut USB model. As I say, buy a SL-1200 once and you are set for life. I like the old Denon Direct Drive models well. The new ones are really not up to the older turntables Denon made their reputation on. The new Denons are OEM made in China. A dealer friend quit carrying them due to high failure rate out of the box. The best under $300 turntable is the Audio-Technica AT PL-120. It's a mass produced Technics SL-1200 clone which is nice quality.

Good points. The SL-1200 is a workhorse and sounds decent as well!

I'd love to get my old Walker CJ55 back up and running, and move the Grace arm back over to it. It had speed issues though--slipping belt, and it ran too fast. Still, I can work on all that...it had a meatier sound than the Denon did.

Rudy,

If you lived near, I'd assist you with getting that Walker back to health. They made and still make fine turntables. The Grace tonearms are among my favorites ever made.

I wasn't able to find a listing for Walker anywhere (had no idea they were still around!), but I did get a line on a new belt (our mutual acquaintance Rolf says he probably has one for me). The only issue is the speed--it runs too fast. For me, anything that deviates from an exact 33-1/3 or 45 RPM will drive me absolutely batty (the curse of perfect pitch). I will also need to drain and refill the oil in the bearing, since it is probably a bit gummy now.

The Grace is a nice arm! Wish they were still around. My cousin had an SME tonearm--can't recall the model (you'd know it--I'm thinking a "309"?), but it was a "Series III" (dated to about the late 70s). Very nice also. He had it on a Fons turntable, IIRC.

Rudy,

The old SME 3009 II and III are still favorite tonearms of mine. Excellent craftsmanship and parts still available from SME even now. Shure was the original USA importer when they were new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom