Vocal recordings

bencasey

Has a compilation ever been made of all of Herb's vocal recordings? I'm assuming no. Next question would be, is there anywhere I could find a list of all of his vocals?

I would think someone has done it here in the past. If not, I'm sure someone will attempt to do so.

Depending a little on what you would count as a "Vocal recording": Hello Dolly (from South Of The Border), Mame (from S.R.O.), This Guy (from Beat Of The Brass), Talk To The Animals (from Beat Of The Brass), The Christmas Song (from Christmas Album), The Bell That Couldn't Jingle (from Christmas Album) Without Her (from Warm), To Wait For Love (from Warm), You Are My Life (from Brass Are Coming), Save The Sunlight (from You Smile...) I Belong (from Coney Island) The You in Me (single, 1977), Love Is (from Rise), Come What May (with Lani Hall, 1981) I Get It From You (from Magic Man), Quireme Tal Como Soy (from Fandango), No Time For Time (from Wild Romance), When The Lights Go Down Low (from My Abstract Heart), Someone To Watch Over Me (from Midnight Sun), I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face (from Midnight Sun), Moondance, There Will Never Be Another You, Something Cool (from I Feel You)... I have probably forgotten some, it's late and I have been drinking wine.. :)

- greetings from the north -
Martin

That's a pretty good list, Martin. Like you said, it depends on just how much vocalizing constitutes a "vocal". There's also the opening to "Sunny" from BRASS ARE COMIN', and we shouldn't forget "Noche De Amor" from the album of the same name.

That's a pretty good list, Martin. Like you said, it depends on just how much vocalizing constitutes a "vocal". There's also the opening to "Sunny" from BRASS ARE COMIN', and we shouldn't forget "Noche De Amor" from the album of the same name.
That's right, and there is also some singing from Herb on "You Are So Beautiful" from Over The Rainbow.

The wonderful Tijuana Brass compilation, LOST TREASURES, contains Herb's version of "(They Long To Be) Close To You," a Bacharach/David song which, as we all know, became a big hit for the Carpenters.

Charles

And the Dore Alpert sides from RCA and early A&M...
Absolutely... To be honest, I think what I have heard of them sound pretty awful, but the moderate success of "Tell It To The Birds" helped financing The Lonely Bull recording , so it was good for something.

Martin

You know, there are a bunch of versions of "Dina" posted on YouTube, and none of them sound as clean as the one I managed to find. I've forgotten where this 45 came from, as I already had the single from elsewhere, but that one sounded pretty bad. I recall a discussion we had around here about the Dore Alpert singles, and universally, "Dina" was voted the worst of the bunch.

I've just uploaded my pristine copy to YouTube so you guys can hear it. I think it's a much better recording without all of the crackles, pops, and distortion.

You know, there are a bunch of versions of "Dina" posted on YouTube, and none of them sound as clean as the one I managed to find. I've forgotten where this 45 came from, as I already had the single from elsewhere, but that one sounded pretty bad. I recall a discussion we had around here about the Dore Alpert singles, and universally, "Dina" was voted the worst of the bunch.

I've just uploaded my pristine copy to YouTube so you guys can hear it. I think it's a much better recording without all of the crackles, pops, and distortion.

Thanks, Harry...sounds much better. Probably one of the more emotional Dore vocals, rivaling I'd Do It All Again.

Depending a little on what you would count as a "Vocal recording": Hello Dolly (from South Of The Border), Mame (from S.R.O.), This Guy (from Beat Of The Brass), Talk To The Animals (from Beat Of The Brass), The Christmas Song (from Christmas Album), The Bell That Couldn't Jingle (from Christmas Album) Without Her (from Warm), To Wait For Love (from Warm), You Are My Life (from Brass Are Coming), Save The Sunlight (from You Smile...) I Belong (from Coney Island) The You in Me (single, 1977), Love Is (from Rise), Come What May (with Lani Hall, 1981) I Get It From You (from Magic Man), Quireme Tal Como Soy (from Fandango), No Time For Time (from Wild Romance), When The Lights Go Down Low (from My Abstract Heart), Someone To Watch Over Me (from Midnight Sun), I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face (from Midnight Sun), Moondance, There Will Never Be Another You, Something Cool (from I Feel You)... I have probably forgotten some, it's late and I have been drinking wine.. :)

Martin
Summertime (from Summertime), Pillow (from Keep Your Eye On Me), Unforgettable (from Music Volume 1)

I have NOT been drinking wine, although Sangria sounds pretty good right about now.

I have NOT been drinking wine, although Sangria sounds pretty good right about now.
True dat! But right now it's only lunchtime, and I have the rest of the day to get through without dozing off at the desk. :D

Save the Sunlight, No Time for Time, Quiereme Tal Como Soy, When the Lights Go Down Low, This Guy’s In Love With You, Without Her, Love Is, Come What May.

The first and last I really wish he’d record again.

Though I realize that Come What May was a recording by Ms Hall so I do not think Mr Alpert has ever recorded it under his name. But he should. And a live recording, too - no drum programming.

I've heard some of you don't like Herb's pre-Tijuana Brass vocal recordings, but to be honest, I kind of like them! I like "Tell It To The Birds", and also "Dina", and a song that was written for him by Harry Nillson. These songs were done in the style of guys like Paul Anka, Frankie Avalon, Pat Boone,Ricky Nelson(at least to my ears), and I guess that was the audience Herb,Jerry and the rest of A&M at that time were going for-the teenybopper market.

I remember reading Darlene Love's autobio, in which she says that she and some other backup singers worked for Herb and Lou Adler in the 50s, and he was very nice and fair to them. She also said that Herb could play a mean trumpet, but what he really wanted to do was sing. She jokingly said that whenever he would try to sing, she and the other singers would say,"HERBIE!" Stop singing and play your trumpet!" She had very nice and warm memories of him.
jazzdre

Back
Top Bottom