Voice of the Heart Recording Sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwimAMile

Well I finally created MP3's of the Carpenters tunes. Among the playlists I create are ones that put recordings in their chronological sequence in terms of release or recording sessions. Since VOH is mostly outtakes and such, I was trying to match the tracks with their sessions. But I can't seem to locate info on all (or I overlooked it). I'd appreciate any responses to fill in the blanks.

Now (1982 Work Lead)
Sailing On The Tide
You're Enough
Make Believe It's Your First Time (Made In America Outtake/Work Lead)
Two Lives
At The End Of A Song
Ordinary Fool (A Kind Of Hush Outtake)
Prime Time Love
You're Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
Look To Your Dreams

SwimAMile said:
Well I finally created MP3's of the Carpenters tunes. Among the playlists I create are ones that put recordings in their chronological sequence in terms of release or recording sessions. Since VOH is mostly outtakes and such, I was trying to match the tracks with their sessions. But I can't seem to locate info on all (or I overlooked it). I'd appreciate any responses to fill in the blanks.

Now (1982 Work Lead)
Sailing On The Tide - 1977
You're Enough-1982
Make Believe It's Your First Time (Made In America Outtake/Work Lead)
Two Lives-1981
At The End Of A Song-1982
Ordinary Fool (A Kind Of Hush Outtake)
Prime Time Love-1981
You're Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore-1982
Look To Your Dreams

On the way home -caught your e-mail -have added Dates from Recording Sessions -in case you have not located previous discussion ?

VOTH -Great Album with Songs from certain Sessions that Should have been Released Earlier ....... :o

Peter...Karen as Voice of The Heart .....

I apologize for not searching the forum again...I had forgotten about the previous postings. However, there are some disputes, so I thought I'd provide a summary. Not trying to cause tension, just looking for verification of sources:

Published in album notes or no disagreements:

Now (4/1982)
You're Enough (4/1982)
Make Believe It's Your First Time (MIA outtake)
Ordinary Fool (A Kind Of Hush outtake)
Prime Time Love (MIA outtake)
Look To Your Dreams (1978 Sessions)

Sailing on the Tide (disputed)

Bruno - Intended for Horizon (1975) based on letter in fan club newsletter, but uncertain about when recorded
PJ - Passages sessions in 1977 (source of info not specific)

Two Lives (disputed)

Bruno - MIA outtake based on Evelyn Wallace letter in fan club newsletter
PJ - Agrees with Bruno
Laura - 4/1982 based on letter from Richard

At The End Of A Song (disputed)

PJ - 4/1982 (source of info not specific)

You're Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore (Disputed)
PJ - 4/1982 (source of info not specific)

Well, that would mean, that Evelyn Wallace wrote false informations in that specific newsletter I'm referring to.

Too bad I don't have the fan club newsletters anymore :sad: (I owned them all), so I can't prove what I'm saying. But I'm very sure I remember this right, because I was interested in Carpenters in 1983 very much, perhaps even more than today.

Bruno said:
Well, that would mean, that Evelyn Wallace wrote false informations in that specific newsletter I'm referring to.

Too bad I don't have the fan club newsletters anymore :sad: (I owned them all), so I can't prove what I'm saying. But I'm very sure I remember this right, because I was interested in Carpenters in 1983 very much, perhaps even more than today.

Fortunately, I still have my set of newsletters. I think that I found the one that Bruno remembers. Here is a quote from Newsletter #81 (July, 1984), written by Rosina...

"Q. Were any of the tracks from "Voice Of The Heart" pulled from existing tracks, or cut from another album? If so, which?

A. "Your Baby", "Two Lives", "Make Believe" and "At The End Of A Song" were all recorded during the "Made In America" sessions. Too many tracks were cut for one album."

Murray

Most of the info above is correct,but "Prime Time Love" was recorded in April/May,1980."Two Lives" and "Your Baby" were recorded in November,1980.

Thanks a lot for saving my reputation, Murray! :)

I knew I remember it right.

Unfortunately, my set of newsletters got lost when I moved from Bonn to Düsseldorf in 1993.

Glad to be back in the former capital of Germany since last year!

There is not any accusation of the original fan club letters as being false. I am sure Evelyn gave out information as it was given to her. But, you must remember, these letters were also part of the publicity machine and even suppressed the exact facts regarding Karen's solo project.

Peter has done extensive research since those letters and has never given false statements or ever said anything based on rumor.

Craig

Craig:

1. This newsletter was not written by Evelyn, but by Rosina.

2. Your're right, the fan club was part of the publicity machine, and it suppressed many things, not only the truth about Karen's solo album.

3. Be careful, when you accuse people of giving false statements.

I never accused anyone. I simply said that I would believe Peter. All of you came to your own assumptions.

Craig

As I Understand VOTH Recording Session Dates :

"Sailing" -Was Composed in 1975 by Peluso / Bettis Along with "Happy" as Richard Wanted more Original Material for Horizon.However Sailing was Recorded in 1977 during Passage Sessions -Richard has Referred to this as 1977 Outtake and may be Included On Press Release :?:

"Two Lives" Should be MIA Outtake as Richard was Asked by Several Fans as to Why this Track was Not Included on Original Album -Richard's Reply was 15 Tracks were Considered in 1981 and TL lost out -Sadly :sad:

"At The End " & "You're Baby" Should be Spring 1982 Recordings -Richard did Confirm 6 Tracks with Vocal Leads were Recorded and from A&M Sources Plus Again Answers to Fans Queries , both these Songs are 1982 -But Letter Places some Doubt.......

Ideally We can ask Richard at CPAC as the Ultimate Carpenters Authority ........ :D

Peter....Can Richard Cope with All Our Queries ......

additional info I found from my scrapbook of clippings about the duo.
Richard explains Sailing On the Tide is from the Passage recording session.
The source of this part comes from an interview of the Japanese magazine FM FAN in 1983.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom