Voice of the Heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno

We know that the tracks on VOICE OF THE HEART are from different recording sessions:

NOW (April 1982, Karen's last recording session; work lead)
SAILING ON THE TIDE (HORIZON outtake, 1975)
YOU'RE ENOUGH (??)
MAKE BELIEVE.....(MIA sessions 1980, outtake)
TWO SIDES (MIA sessions 1980, outtake)
AT THE END.....(MIA sesions 1980, outtake)
ORDINARY FOOL (HUSH outtake, 1976)
PRIME TIME LOVE (??)
YOUR BABY.....(MIA sessions 1980, outtake)
LOOK TO YOUR DREAMS (1978 session)

Does anybody know, when YOU'RE ENOUGH and PRIME TIME LOVE were recorded? :?:

Bruno
enjoying very nostalgic the VOTH album

Hey Bruno,

I wrote to Richard a while ago and he infomed me that that:
Now
Two Lives
Your Enough

were recorded in Karen's last recording session in April 1982.

I didn't know 'Sailing on the Tide' was from the 'Horizon' sessions?

Laura :wink:

Hi Laura!

I was a member of the official Carpenters Fan Club from 1982 til 1989, when it disbanded. I owned all fan club letters.

When VOTH was released in 1983, Evelyn Wallace wrote in a letter, that MAKE BELIEVE, TWO LIVES, AT THE END and YOUR BABY werde from the MIA sessions.

SAILING ON THE TIDE was written by Tony Peluso in 1975 together with HAPPY. A fan club letter informed, both tracks should be included on HORIZON. But only HAPPY was released. So I think, SAILING was recorded in 1975, but I could be wrong here.

PRIME TIME LOVE could be from 1978 sessions, but I don't know.

Have a nice sunday!

Bruno

I thought 'Sailing on the tide' would of been recorded in later than 75, I have no idea for sure when it was recorded though. :)

I always wanted to know what they recorded in their last recording session, so I asked Richard.

Have a great day.
Laura :tongue:

I, too, would have guessed that "Sailing on the Tide" was recorded later than '75 (the background harmonies are crystal clear), but if it was mentioned in the newsletter as a "Horizon" track, then I guess I'm wrong.

How interesting that "Two Lives" and "You're Enough" were recorded in that last session with "Now." I always wondered what else Karen recorded during that visit home.

"Prime Time Love" has a copyright date of 1979, so it couldn't have been recorded in '78. I always figured it was from the "Now" sessions, but if not, then it's probably another leftover from "Made in America." (Those must have been some grueling sessions! There seems to be no end to the outtakes from that album.)

Personally, I think that Sailing on the Tide was recorded in 1981.or 82..it just 'sounds' like later voice of Karen. In fact, everything on VOH (except for Ordinary Fool (1976)) sound like Karen 1978 or later. I could be wrong, though, but I'd be shocked if Sailing on the Tide was recorded in '75...Karen's voice in 75 had a different sound to it. Most of VOH sounds like the later Karen.
Steve

Sailing on the Tide sounds similar to Happy. I am shocked about the time given, but I can see it. I wish that the last sessions of Carpenters recordings had better material. It looks as if they were more a product that an expression.

Craig, I know what you mean about those final sessions. Karen had been away for months in NY before she made that visit home. You would think that Richard had time to find much better material for her. "Now" is a wonderful song, but the others are rather bland. "You're Enough" and "Two Lives" are pleasant tunes, but they are just album filler.

Still, I'm glad we have "Now," and we have to thank Richard for that. I think it's very underrated. It's a beautiful, haunting song, and I don't think one could ask for a better "farewell" song (even though it was never intended as such).

For comparison, imagine if Karen's last song had been "Goofus" or "Man Smart, Woman Smarter." :rolleyes:

Bruno said:
We know that the tracks on VOICE OF THE HEART are from different recording sessions:

NOW (April 1982, Karen's last recording session; work lead)
SAILING ON THE TIDE (HORIZON outtake, 1975)
YOU'RE ENOUGH (??)
MAKE BELIEVE.....(MIA sessions 1980, outtake)
TWO SIDES (MIA sessions 1980, outtake)
AT THE END.....(MIA sesions 1980, outtake)
ORDINARY FOOL (HUSH outtake, 1976)
PRIME TIME LOVE (??)
YOUR BABY.....(MIA sessions 1980, outtake)
LOOK TO YOUR DREAMS (1978 session)

Does anybody know, when YOU'RE ENOUGH and PRIME TIME LOVE were recorded? :?:

Bruno
enjoying very nostalgic the VOTH album

From A&M Press Releases , Richard 's interviews etc , understand that Bruno's session dates are OK except for :

"Sailing On The Tide" - possibly written around 1975 , but recorded during the Passage sessions in 1977.Richard added extra instruments . mixes and mastering to make this track more contemporary.

"You're Enough" -from 1982 final sessions.

"At The End " -from 1982 final sessions.

"Prime Time Love"-from 1981 MIA outtakes.

"Your Baby " -from 1982 final sessions.

Made In America has provided 9 songs for 1981 Album , 3 songs for VOTH Album , 2 songs for Lovelines Album plus "The Rainbow Connection " for 2001 's "As Time Goes By ", total of 15 tracks actually released to date.

According to Richard , interviews and A&M listing of some unissued Carpenters recordings , 30 tracks were recorded during these 1980/1981 sessions. Allowing approximately for 5 that have no lead vocals , there should be an Album's worth of releasable tracks .....perhaps this is the extra Album Richard referred to in 1980's interviews and then strangely forgot about when declaring in 1993 , "The cupboard is bare " re : unissued material.. :) ...

I am sure some of these MIA outtakes are releasable and Richard will consider again for the future after a suitable length of time .....since the ATGB impasse with Universal :) :)

That does make sense that Sailing On a Tide was recorded in 1977...sounds more like her voice from the Passage album than Horizon.

I agree with you, Steve.

Karen's vocals on SAILING ON THE TIDE sound like her vocals on SWEET SWEET SMILE and ALL YOU GET FROM LOVE IS A LOVE SONG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom