🎵 AotW Wagoneers STOUT AND HIGH (A&M SP 5200)

LPJim

Staff member
1 I Confess 2:07
2 Help Me To Get Over You 2:31
3 So Many Mistakes 3:10
4 Please Don't Think I'm Guilty 2:32
5 Stout And High 4:20
6 I Wanna Know Her Again 2:35
7 It'll Take Some Time 3:21
8 Lie And Say You Love Me 3:05
9 Every Step Of The Way 2:37
10 Hell Town 2:56
11 All Nite 3:33

Released 1988 & available on CD

JB

Last edited:
This was one of the albums that got me to give "modern" country music a chance. I really enjoyed this one (as well as their follow up, Good Fortune). They were a major influence on the then-budding "alt-country" genre. This led me to try other bands like Wylie and the Wild West Show ("Yodeling Fool" is in regular rotation on my play list).

What I like about "alt-country" is its blend of country with other genres like folk, blues and even rock and roll. And how it harkens back to classic country, which to me is the stuff my parents played from the 1950s to early 70s. Most 90s to modern country is just pop music with a slide guitar thrown in to make it "country." In other words, take Britney Spears and add a slide guitar and you get Shania Twain!

--Mr Bill

BR5-49 might be up your alley, @Mr Bill. They reach back to classic country and swing, yet filter it through modern-day lyrics. They have been defunct for years now, but had some great albums (their self-titled first album, plus Big Backyard Beat Show, plus their first two live albums). Fun!

I like what I've heard of theirs. When I arrive in Texas in less than 3 weeks I plan to explore the local music scene (not that Waco's scene is as vast as say, Austin's or Dallas's). I'm also hoping Capt B is reachable for Texas A&M Corner get-together; maybe a trombone/marimba duet! I know he's lost interest (and I must admit mine has decreased in recent years for many of the same resaons).

Getting to the central part of the country I hope to make time to visit some of the other A&M Corner folks I have yet to meet in person, particularly LPJim, Mike B and hopefully a revisit 20 years later with WebMaestro Rudy! (Holy sh!t -- it's been 20 years since you swung through San Diego)...

--Mr Bill

I like what I've heard of theirs. When I arrive in Texas in less than 3 weeks I plan to explore the local music scene (not that Waco's scene is as vast as say, Austin's or Dallas's). I'm also hoping Capt B is reachable for Texas A&M Corner get-together; maybe a trombone/marimba duet! I know he's lost interest (and I must admit mine has decreased in recent years for many of the same resaons).

Getting to the central part of the country I hope to make time to visit some of the other A&M Corner folks I have yet to meet in person, particularly LPJim, Mike B and hopefully a revisit 20 years later with WebMaestro Rudy! (Holy sh!t -- it's been 20 years since you swung through San Diego)...

--Mr Bill
Irony of ironies, I might be near San Diego in October. :laugh: Those 20 years flew by! The way things are going (and our growing dislike of this area), we may be living elsewhere within a few years as well. My last visit to Tejas was a trip to South Padre.

In Waco, you won't be very far at all from Austin, where a lot of the artists are performing these days.

Indeed! I hope to make a swing up to try out Cedar Point before my bones become unable to do roller coasters... I'll be back in San Diego in September when they shut down the Navy's Combat Camera units... A sad day that will be! A couple days later and it's my 40th HS reunion...

Anyone have contact info for Capt. B? I want to reach out to him once I'm there...

--Mr Bill

Back
Top Bottom