Walter Wanderley Pre Verve recordings

Silentseason

Seeing if anyone might be in the know as to what the best or most comprehensive commercial offerings that are not too overly difficult to obtain for Walter Wanderley's Pre Verve recorded output might be. Specifically Brazilian recorded music before his move to America. With all the compilations it is a bit confusing.

I haven't looked into those yet myself--I have a few of his Verve recordings but nothing beyond that. Just going by a quick glance at Discogs, he could have had as many as 13 albums before he recorded for Verve (seven on Odeon, six on Philips). What can also be confusing is that many albums from those days (regardless of artist) were often repackaged with a different cover, sometimes altering the track order or omitting a couple of tracks. And that doesn't even begin to cover the numerous compilations over the years.

Cherry Red in the UK has released some nicely prepared compilations with other artists we've followed here, and they seem to have a good compilation of his earlier recordings. It might be worth a look.

https://www.amazon.com/World-Walter-Wanderley-WANDERLEY-WALTER/dp/B0045U3ANK

61L0Hvv1CaL._SY355_.jpg

Thank you Rudy. The collection you mentioned here and a collection that BJ Major had good reviews for (Boss of the Bossa Nova) from Germany seem to be safe bets. Not be fluent in Portuguese is a real drawback trying to discern his early recordings.

Thanks to all here at the Forum. I am a newbie here and reading the AOTW old threads is really helping with trying to grasp a feel for jazz.

What is really a mess are the earlier Sergio Mendes recordings--they were sometimes released here and in Brazil under different names, with different track orders, and English titles substituted for Portuguese.

So, I can relate!

Back
Top Bottom