🥂 50th WARM - Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass (SP-4190)

What is your favorite track on WARM?

• The Sea Is My Soil

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Without Her

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Marjorine

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Girk Talk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Zazueira

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • The Continental

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pretty World

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Warm

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • To Wait For Love

• Sandbox

• Total voters
It is "Without You" (written by the late Peter Ham & Tom Evans of Badfinger, originally from their 1970 "No Dice" on Apple).

Harry's been gone 28 years now. The one time I met him, that's a question I didn't think to ask. Actually, his two biggest hits were written by other songwriters. Fred Neil wrote "Everybody's Talkin'".
Harry Nilsson shot himself in the foot by recording You're Breakin' My Heart. Nothing he did after the album Son of Schmilsson sold very well at all.

Harry Nilsson shot himself in the foot by recording You're Breakin' My Heart. Nothing he did after the album Son of Schmilsson sold very well at all.
Well, it wasn't one song that did it. While 16-year-old me and my buddies thought "You're Breakin' My Heart" ruled, the fact is a lot of the SON OF SCHMILSSON album was a self-indulgent, self-destructive move ("Take 54", "Joy", the false beginning to "Remember (Christmas)" followed by a belch, the final line of "The Most Beautiful World In The World", the phony album promo spot and "I'd Rather Be Dead (Than Wet My Bed)").

Millions of people who discovered him through "Without You" and "Coconut" were waiting to hear what was next. Apart from "Spaceman", there wasn't an obvious single on the album ("Remember (Christmas)", "Turn On Your Radio" and "The Lottery Song" were nice enough, but not hits). And coming five months after Elton John's "Rocket Man", "Spaceman" wasn't going to work any better than it did (it peaked at #23).

The next year was A LITTLE TOUCH OF SCHMILSSON IN THE NIGHT with Gordon Jenkins, which is an absolutely lovely album and paved the way for every rock artist who's recorded standards since---but it was never going to sell in 1973 and I think Harry knew that.

He injured his vocal cords recording PUSSY CATS with John Lennon in '74 and after that, Harry had his excuse to be self-destructive. I've told the story of meeting him in 1980, when he was working as a bookkeeper for Scotti Bros. Records. He told me "Nobody wants me now that I can't sing pretty anymore."

He'd lost some range, but was still capable of a song like "All I Think About Is You". But the same guy who could do that also felt the need to put "Jesus Christ You're Tall" on an album----hell, to LEAD the album. Side one, cut one.

That was Harry. One minute he's giving us transcendent beauty. The next he and John Lennon are getting thrown out of the Troubadour for wearing Kotex sanitary napkins on their heads and heckling the Smothers Brothers.

Last edited:
Interesting that "The Sea is My Soil" is far and away the biggest vote getter, but was unavailable for so long since WARM was out of print for many decades, and the song had never been anthologized until the recent box set.

I am surprised that "Marjorine" didn't get more votes.

Going through some old LPs today, I found a stash of extra A&M stuff in a box in a closet that had been removed from my shelves for space. I was going to go through them to see if any of the pressings were unique or anything, Discogs-wise, and the first one I opened was my old original LP of WARM.

As I pulled the record and innersleeve out of the jacket, along with it came a very yellowed piece of newspaper dated August 3, 1969. It was from a paper called The Sunday News. I don't believe it was a Philly paper - probably something my sister saved for me from her Sunday paper up in Levittown, PA.

Anyway, I've scanned the article which is a review of a couple of new summer albums. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass get the top spot with a picture. It's followed by Joni Mitchell's CLOUDS. I've scanned it and removed much of the yellowing and boosted the faded contrast.

WarmArticleAP.jpg

It's fairly clumsily written, too. I had to read that first sentence three times for it to make sense (and even then I have my doubts about what she's trying to say).

--Mr. Bill

It's fairly clumsily written, too. I had to read that first sentence three times for it to make sense (and even then I have my doubts about what she's trying to say).

--Mr. Bill
Based on this example, Ms. Campbell probably didn't win too many Pulitzers.

Had to go look. She was 35 years old when she wrote that, and eight years into what was a 40-year career with the AP.

So...not her best work, I'm guessing. Although she made it clear she had no pretensions:

"I write for an ordinary person like me," she told writer Tad Bartimus in an interview in 2000. "I'm not trying to be erudite. "

I love the fact that my stumbling onto a 54 year old newspaper clipping stuffed in an LP, has sent Mr. Hagerty on a fact-finding tour of the Internet. With success!

Going through some old LPs today, I found a stash of extra A&M stuff in a box in a closet that had been removed from my shelves for space. I was going to go through them to see if any of the pressings were unique or anything, Discogs-wise, and the first one I opened was my old original LP of WARM.

As I pulled the record and innersleeve out of the jacket, along with it came a very yellowed piece of newspaper dated August 3, 1969. It was from a paper called The Sunday News. I don't believe it was a Philly paper - probably something my sister saved for me from her Sunday paper up in Levittown, PA.

Anyway, I've scanned the article which is a review of a couple of new summer albums. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass get the top spot with a picture. It's followed by Joni Mitchell's CLOUDS. I've scanned it and removed much of the yellowing and boosted the faded contrast.

WarmArticleAP.jpg

I love the fact that my stumbling onto a 54 year old newspaper clipping stuffed in an LP, has sent Mr. Hagerty on a fact-finding tour of the Internet. With success!
When I am looking at used lp's from A&M I am always looking into them to see if I can find one of the old catalogs.

Notice how the ad doesn't mention the Tijuana Brass (except on the album cover image). They were positioning Herb more as a solo performer and a singer, especially considering there were 3 vocal tracks on the album that were all released as singles.

Back
Top Bottom