• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Week #16: Album Cover Art, Part II: “The Later Years”

Favorite Album Cover, Part II:

• "YESTERDAY ONCE MORE" (UNITED KINGDOM/U.S.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "A&M CLASSICS, VOLUME 2" (U.S.)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • "TREASURES" (JAPAN)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • "REMINISCING" (CANADA)

• "ANTHOLOGY" (JAPAN)

• "ANTHOLOGY" (JAPAN) [1997 RE-RELEASE]

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • "TREASURES" (UNITED KINGDOM)

• "STARTRAX" (AUSTRALIA)

• "YESTERDAY ONCE MORE-MASTER KARAOKE" (JAPAN)

• "CHRISTMAS WITH THE CARPENTERS" (TIME-LIFE MUSIC)

• "INTERPRETATIONS" (UNITED KINGDOM/U.S.)

• "REFLECTIONS" (GERMANY/AUSTRALIA)

• "TWENTY-TWO HITS OF THE CARPENTERS" (HONG KONG)

• "THEIR GREATEST HITS AND FINEST PERFORMANCES" (READER'S DIGEST)

• "LOVE SONGS" (U.S.)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • "YESTERDAY ONCE MORE" (REMASTERED)

• "BY REQUEST" (JAPAN)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • "THE SINGLES, 1969-1981" (WORLDWIDE COVER)

• "THE SINGLES, 1969-1981" (U.S. COVER)

• "THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION, 1965-1997" (U.S.)

• "CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER" (U.S.)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

raz42289

I'm the first to vote, so I will go with the Anthology 1997 re-release. Karen is at a perfect weight and looks gorgeous.

Chris May

Resident 'Carpenterologist'
Staff member
I too will have to go with the '97 re-release of "Anthology". What a great photo.

Secondly, I would pick the U.S. release of "The Singles, 1969-1981", followed by "By Request". -Chris

jfiedler17

I, too, have to go with the "Anthology" re-release; it's just a great photo. Second and third choices would be "By Request" and the worldwide "Singles 1969-1981", respectively.

Jeff F.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Well so far I'm in the minority. I voted for the Singles US Version. 69-81. I really love this photo, I think it was part of the shoot from the Rolling Stones Cover? I want that Rolling Stones issue so bad, maybe one day I can add that to my collection. Karen is having so much fun here & we get to see both Richard & Karen in a more relaxed setting, just being themselves. Yes Karen had a sense of humor as we all know, she just loved laughing.

It also makes them 2 separate people, Karen looking one way being her funny self & Richard looking the other. So many times, photos try to make them look like there couples. I like this relaxed setting more like a brother & sister would act.

For beauty, I think Karen looks awesome on the Time Life Christmas pic. So glad I got that one before it went OOP.

cam89

Hi All,
I chose REMINSCING as I am from Canada, and remember in Fall of 1988, when they began to show video commercial footage of them on Television to promote the album. I always thought Karen looked beautiful in that gorgeous yellow-orange outfit. Her hair looked nice. Richard looked good too. For me, at least, they looked very contemporary looking. And I had just been a fan for about 5 months at this time, so I was a bit impressionable. I also would chose as my Second Favorite album cover of CHRISTMAS WITH THE CARPENTERS. Karen looks stunning. They make such a nice looking couple.

My thoughts,
Cameron

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Once again I'm sure to be in the minority, but again I have to pick the simple white-and-silver graphics on LOVE SONGS. This is such an elegant-looking presentation. No wonder it sold so well.

The package of songs itself is just so-so, but the classy cover really stands out. I guess you CAN'T judge a book by its cover!

Harry
...who prefers the simpler things, online...

Murray

My choice is for "Their Greatest Hits and Finest Performances" (Reader's Digest). Karen looks so pretty in this picture, and I also like the graphic layout, with the large gold logo against a blue background.

A close second is the "Anthology" re-issue, followed by "A&M Classics". They both feature wonderful photos of the duo.

Murray

ThaFunkyFakeTation

Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo
Chris May said:
I too will have to go with the '97 re-release of "Anthology". What a great photo.

Secondly, I would pick the U.S. release of "The Singles, 1969-1981", followed by "By Request". -Chris
Add me to the "agreement" pile. Great photo and not one I've seen five million times...LOL!

Ed

Jeff

The BY REQUEST cover is my fave here. When I joined CarpenterS Fan Club in '71 or so this is the 8x10 B&W photo that came signed with membership. To my eye this photo is a classic. When I think Close To You or anything pre-'71's CarpenterS album and subsequent new logo this is the image that surfaces. It shows the vibrant new artists fresh and hopeful. Compare this to the A&M Classics cover and you will see a profound distinction in Karen's eyes.

BTW, I obtained my Rolling Stone issue several years ago from a guy who archives and sells publications like this. I don't remember exactly but I think I paid something like $25. I will dig thru some things and unearth the contact info. The dudes outfit is called C-BUB Publications. More specifics later. The article in this issue is quite interesting and candid. There is some speak of over-the-top fans and in a general way Karen alludes to their annoyance. I read this years after our meeting and stand guilty and convicted of same. Ooops.

Jeff

enigma

This was a close one but I also chose by request I liked Karens "look" during this period and this photo just reminds me of when I first became a Carpenters fan. I also think it is a good looking photo. :D

Dave

That's a very good (and delicate) shot of Karen gracing the cover of Anthology [Japan, 1997 Re-Release]! And Richard looks very candid, himself!

Too bad that cover couldn't be used for anything released in the U.S. Or even in any of the liner photos or back-cover shots... (Or maybe I haven't looked!) :oneeye:

Dave

aaflyer98

I voted for "A&M CLASSICS" cover. I just love this picture of Karen & Richard...which was from the "later years". I also love the "Anthology" picture, which is from the Horizon photo shoot, but my vote is for the Classics!

Dave

From what I've seen, a lot of Japanese compilations get a lot of the good cover shots.

Yesterday Once More is loaded with a lot of inner-sleeve photos that the Classics, Volume 2 didn't get.

And the photo on the back of Love Songs is the real clincher.

Dave

PJ

Great selection of covers , artwork & photographs from worldwide releases:cool:

Debated over several favs -Japanese Anthology , Japanese Treasures, Singles 1969-1981 (1981 cover photo ) , Classics etc :)

Finally decided on a fav UK release cover :

UK Treasures (1991) ....love this photo / colours ...one of the best late period Karen & Richard pictures ....this A&M photo has been used with promo materials and for several features -always looks wonderful :cool:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom