🎷 AotW: Jazz Wes Montgomery - CALIFORNIA DREAMING

Jazz releases not on the CTi or Horizon labels.

How Would You Rate This Album?

• Total voters

Captain Bacardi

Wes Montgomery
CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Verve Records

5ab281b0c8a0b3dc4f35c110.L._SX300_.jpg

Released 1966

Produced by Creed Taylor

Peaked at #1 on the Jazz Album chart, #4 on the R&B Album chart and #65 on the Billboard 200 Album chart (1967)

Songs:
1. California Dreaming (John Phillips) - 3:01
2. Sun Down (Wes Montgomery) - 6:02
3. Oh You Crazy Moon (Johnny Burke/Jimmy Van Huesen) - 3:42
4. More, More, Amor (Sol Lake) - 2:51
5. Without You (Marino/Myers) - 3:04
6. Winds Of Barcelona (Sol Lake) - 3:06
7. Sunny (Bobby Hebb) (Alternate Take) - 3:05*
8. Sunny (Bobby Hebb) - 4:02
9. Green Peppers (Sol Lake) - 2:55
10. Mr. Walker (Wes Montgomery) - 3:39
11. South Of The Border (Michael Carr/Jimmy Kennedy) - 3:13

Arranged and Conducted by Don Sebesky
* - Available on CD reissue only
Musicians:
Wes Montgomery - Guitar
Mel Davis, Bernie Glow, James Nottingham - Trumpets
Wayne Andre, John Messner, Bill Watrous - Trombones
Don Butterfield - Tuba
Ray Beckenstein - Alto Sax, Flute, Piccolo
Stan Webb - Alto Sax, Baritone Sax, English Horn, Clarinet
James Buffington - French Horn
Herbie Hancock - Piano
Al Casamenti, Bucky Pizzarelli - Guitars
Jack Jennings - Vibes, Castanets, Scratcher
Richard Davis - Bass
Grady Tate - Drums
Ray Barretto - Percussion

Recorded September 14, 15, 16, 1966 at Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
Engineered by Rudy Van Gelder
Cover Photo by Ken Whitmore

Available at Amazon.com (with song samples): http://www.amazon.com/California-Dreamin-Wes-Montgomery/dp/B0000046ZL/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1379465772&sr=1-1&keywords=wes montgomery california dreaming

Capt. Bacardi

This is Wes' best Verve album-next to "Movin 'Wes". Don Sebesky really toned down the(usual) overblown string and brass arrangements for this set.I think Wes' guitar is a little more "upfront" on this album,also.

Things went downhill on His A&M albums.

Herb's TJB sound was everywhere at that time and it's popularity was still growing.

I do remember reading about Creed Taylor going to A&M, but don't remember just what the timing was. It would be interesting to know whether at the time of this album if they knew that Wes would next be at A&M?

Wes was an amazing talent. This album has a great groove - everyone should at least give the samples a listen. I play it a lot!

I have maybe a third of his Verve albums and do enjoy all of them quite a bit. Smokin' At The Half Note is a stone classic--Wes at the top of his game, with Miles' rhythm section. Many guitarists have mentioned this album as an influence.

The entire Half Note set, BTW, can be found on the Impressions: The Verve Jazz Sides 2-CD set. Supposedly the first disc is more of the jazz side of Montgomery's Verve recordings, but all the live tracks on the 2nd disc, and the two takes of "Surrey", are from the Half Note gig.

Last edited:
This is just about everything Montgomery's run at A&M should have been... The orchestrations are more constructive & don't intrude on Wesley's playing...

Around this time Wes was getting good recognition & accolades for his efforts, too... It's true, the material would be current Pop songs of the day (that just about all Jazz would be improvising) but this is the best, in arrangements, that anyone in this sort of a field could ever get...

-- Dave

This was a hit or miss album for me. I've never been a fan of the strings and horns on Wes' albums, although at times it can work, such as on "Sun Down", "Mr. Walker" and "Oh You Crazy Moon", where the horns are there just to accent things behind Wes. On the other hand, songs like the title tune and "South Of The Border" just drive me up a wall. I do enjoy both versions of "Sunny". I actually like the alternate version a little better. As for the Sol Lake tunes, I think "Green Peppers" works the best. I think it's a great song anyway, and it would make a cool rock version, as demonstrated on that Surfin' Senorita CD from a few years ago.

Capt. Bacardi

One of Montgomery's better lps. Commercial jazz pop music, well done. I always thought it was interesting that he did 2 Sol Lake songs on this lp just before signing with A&M. Also, I'm a sucker for jazz versions of the song, "California Dreaming".

Interesting, it sounds like I might be a rare fan of Wes's A&M output? I listen to a lot of jazz but I'm not unopposed to the idea of the orchestration kind of taking over... I suppose it's the intersection of jazz and "soft pop" (for lack of a better term) that kind of intrigues me in him and a number of other artists of the day like Paul Desmond, etc...

I have most of montgomery's verve cds and all of his A&M s i also have this California dreaming CD and i Love his take on "Green Peppers" and " More and More Amor" along with all the rest. I had a feeling that this album would set the stage for his A&M albums. I look at it this way. Despite the circumstances in which his late period albums were recorded. "Every Note Counted". And He Gave His Best Performances. IMO. and considering his untimely passing in 1968 i think we all are most fortunate and blessed to have His music Still accessable. And that we can continue to enjoy his great work. As i always say " THE MUSIC LIVES ON".

Back
Top Bottom