Wes Montgomery Greatest Hits in 3 Different Ways Similarities and Differences.

Bobberman

Here is a fun topic for your consideration. I noticed there were 3 different spins on the Classic Wes Montgomery 1970 Greatest Hits Compilation A&M SP 4247 ( which i also saw a CD version back in the 80s listed as CD 4247 Which quickly disappeared) then the 1987 Classics volume 22 cd which featured the 10 songs from the original 1970 version plus various album cuts and some unreleased bonus tracks. And finally sometime in the 90s in the polygram era the songs contained in the 1987 CD were remastered and reissued and retitled " Greatest Hits" and the cover was redesigned and was listed as the A&M backlot series. And the photo was the same one on the 1970 album. Being that i have all 3 of the montgomery A&M/CTI albums plus the Classics volume 22 on CD I Passed on the 90s rehash. Because i thought it was a bit redundant in my opinion so Now is Your turn to chime in Which version(s) of this Montgomery album do you Like or prefer? And which sounds best to you?

The "Classics" and Backlot "Greatest Hits" are the same and both have the five previously unreleased tracks:

Switchin'
Pata Pata
Butterfly
Hello Young Lovers
My Favorite Things

Like you, bobberman, I often saw that Backlot Series disc during my store browsing in the '90s, but always resisted picking it up. since it's identical to the CLASSICS VOL 22 that I already owned. I've never run across the old CD, but see that there's one from West Germany with that old cover and tracklist selling on eBay.
s-l1600.jpg

This edition mirrors my earliest CD purchases while in Europe, the Sergio Mendes GREATEST HITS disc - green cover, 393 258-2. At that point in time, it was like a major coup to hold in my hands an actual, old A&M album on CD, as it was released on LP.

I also own the three A&M albums on CD, with the maddening upside-down spine printing on ROAD SONG!

Like you, bobberman, I often saw that Backlot Series disc during my store browsing in the '90s, but always resisted picking it up. since it's identical to the CLASSICS VOL 22 that I already owned. I've never run across the old CD, but see that there's one from West Germany with that old cover and tracklist selling on eBay.
s-l1600.jpg

This edition mirrors my earliest CD purchases while in Europe, the Sergio Mendes GREATEST HITS disc - green cover, 393 258-2. At that point in time, it was like a major coup to hold in my hands an actual, old A&M album on CD, as it was released on LP.

I also own the three A&M albums on CD, with the maddening upside-down spine printing on ROAD SONG!
My Road song Cd has the same upside down spine printing too and your picture of the old greatest hits confirms that it was briefly on CD since i have all the songs on it and add to the fact that the 1970 greatest hits Has the CSG processing i made my own Cd of greatest hits just for fun using the 3 A&M/CTI albums as my sources and Its CSG FREE and didnt add the bonus tracks from classics volume 22 because i wanted to stay true to the original lineup and the 1970 greatest hits was my first Wes Montgomery LP Which i purchased brand new for $5 in the summer of 1981 at age 14 there are a lot of memories attached to the music and its still A delight and joy to listen to today.

I find that those unreleased tracks are better than most of the other songs that did get released.
I like those bonus tracks too and i just remembered i also made a second greatest hits cd with just the 10 tracks PLUS THE BONUS TRACKS FROM VOLUME 22 so i have the best of both worlds and i used the original 1970 artwork for my cd editions to remain true to the original

I am pretty sure I have a Greatest Hits CD, yet I don't think mine was an import...? My import Brasil '66 Greatest Hits, though, looks exactly like the one pictured above--same logo, same printing, etc., and I bought that when it was first released (1984 or 1985?). That (along with TJB Xmas) was the first "classic" A&M CD I owned. Someone sent me the Wes Classics disc, but I can't recall ever playing much of it. I do have the Digipak version of Road Song, and a Rebound reissue of one of the others.

I am pretty sure I have a Greatest Hits CD, yet I don't think mine was an import...? My import Brasil '66 Greatest Hits, though, looks exactly like the one pictured above--same logo, same printing, etc., and I bought that when it was first released (1984 or 1985?). That (along with TJB Xmas) was the first "classic" A&M CD I owned. Someone sent me the Wes Classics disc, but I can't recall ever playing much of it. I do have the Digipak version of Road Song, and a Rebound reissue of one of the others.
My Cd of " Down here on the ground is on Rebound" the other two are on A&M jazz. And i imagine those along with Classics vol22 are probably out of print by now as far as the CDs are concerned i may be wrong though

Only the Backlot Series version is in print--not sure on the original albums. There is also a poorly conceived 20th Century Masters disc with 11 tracks, likely split half and half with his Verve era recordings (at least from what I can tell with a quick look at the track listing).

The best Verve-era anthology I have is the 2-CD Impressions: The Verve Jazz Sides. It appears to be out of print, but there are plenty of copies out there. One disc covers a good selection of his studio tracks, while the second disc is an expanded version of the classic Smokin' at the Half Note gig with the Wynton Kelly Trio (which was an influential guitar recording for many jazz guitarists).

Only the Backlot Series version is in print--not sure on the original albums. There is also a poorly conceived 20th Century Masters disc with 11 tracks, likely split half and half with his Verve era recordings (at least from what I can tell with a quick look at the track listing).

The best Verve-era anthology I have is the 2-CD Impressions: The Verve Jazz Sides. It appears to be out of print, but there are plenty of copies out there. One disc covers a good selection of his studio tracks, while the second disc is an expanded version of the classic Smokin' at the Half Note gig with the Wynton Kelly Trio (which was an influential guitar recording for many jazz guitarists).
I avoid those 20 th century master sets unless they have songs i cant get anywhere else i do agree Most of those are poorly concieved. But i also have most of the Verve albums except " Smokin at the half note," but i appreciate the tip Rudy.

Universal can't seem to get compilations right, no matter how they try! Compare those to the "Essential" sets that Sony/Legacy has put out over the years. They are very thorough, and very well sequenced. I think the 20th Century/Millenium Collections are geared toward the low end, more as cheap impulse purchases than anything else. Yet some are so poorly compiled that they have limited value to even the casual listener.

Universal can't seem to get compilations right, no matter how they try! Compare those to the "Essential" sets that Sony/Legacy has put out over the years. They are very thorough, and very well sequenced. I think the 20th Century/Millenium Collections are geared toward the low end, more as cheap impulse purchases than anything else. Yet some are so poorly compiled that they have limited value to even the casual listener.
I couldn't agree more The Sony Essentials ive seen are really thorough. However there are a few universal Gold sets that are somewhat better than the 20 th century masters but even so. As i said they are few and far between.

Sony has really hammered hard on the Essentials releases, so just about any known artist on any of their labels has an entry. When Sony bought BMG, their artists soon had Essential series discs released.

For a major label, at least that is one thing they are doing right!

Sony has really hammered hard on the Essentials releases, so just about any known artist on any of their labels has an entry. When Sony bought BMG, their artists soon had Essential series discs released.

For a major label, at least that is one thing they are doing right!
I agree and i also appreciate the fact that sony has reissued some of the older Bell/Arista artists and albums too. Universal could learn a thing or two from Sony.

Back
Top Bottom