What A&M item has been impossible to find?

On the basis of some early A&M 45s, including this one, it may be time to increase the homeowners' insurance coverage.
JB

The prior page discussed the colored vinyl Alpert set. Here's a video that features the red "Making Love In The Rain":

Harry

Yes I did - previous page. Great shape. I just saw that video and thought I'd pass it on.

I should have bought all of the sets my local store had (many years ago) and resold them. They were common as dirt back then. I really didn't want it, but I think I noticed it did have a different remix than the singles I already owned (all purchased new).

Now I just need to find some more sealed copies of some of the A&M albums I had long ago...woefully replaced on CD. :sigh:

That's funny Steve. Once I found out that the Italian version existed back around 2000, it took me almost no time to find one. But I don't have a picture sleeve...

My current hard-to-find is the Brazilian A ARTE DE CARPENTERS. I can see a bunch on some Brazilian site, but cannot get the browser to translate the pages, so I can't figure out if these folks ship to the US.

I realize it's on Blue Thumb, but I'm keeping my eyes open for a clean copy of Bossa Rio Alegria. I have also wanted a clean stereo promo copy of the Roger Nichols LP, since the last one was a bust...

It took me forever to find that BOSSA RIO album, but thankfully I snagged a great one a year or so ago for only about $60.

Jeez, that's a hefty price. I see copies all the time, but I require condition of NM, and most are trashed. Even at NM it's no guarantee, but at least it's a start.

That second Sergio Mendes album (Quiet Nights) is a rarity also, but I do have my limits on price.

I'm pretty much A&M'ed out so there is really nothing I'm looking for at this point, short of getting cleaner copies of some titles I have. (Like an untouched original pressing of Synchronicity on the KC-600 vinyl...I never should have sold that one off. It kills any digital version out there.)

BOSSA RIO LIVE IN JAPAN was once upon a time rarer than hen's teeth, selling in the hundreds of dollars. Now I see a few of them all for around that $60 mark over on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...n=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_sop=10&_dmd=1&_ipg=100

I recall at the time I bought mine that there was another listed for $499, I believe, and it had been there for a year or more.

Perhaps the Japanese who owned these have all headed to that great record library in the sky?...

Harry

Another Unicorn in the A&M Singles World: Karen Brian "Love Me Not Tomorrow" (orig. by We Five, written by John Stewart) and "Mornin' I'll Be Movin' On" (Paul Williams & Roger Nichols, the latter who produced both songs on this long, lost '45') A&M 1071

-- Dave

I've got a surprise for you:

Don't believe it?

Believe it!

-- Dave

I'd never heard of this Herb Alpert "Keep Your Eye On Me" Manic Mix until the other day:

Got one headed my way.

Harry

Breakout seems to be a legit UK label that issued some A&M product, but I'd bet this mix is not authorized. Good for a placeholder in a collection, but after hearing the first minute or two, it is a truly awful remix.

While not directly A&M, I am trying to track down many of the IRS Records titles I've missed over the years. I did finally snag IRS Greatest Hits Vol. 1 in nearly perfect condition for only $5; it was a promo-only release offered via mail if you purchased the two-LP Vol. 2 & 3. (We mailed it in when I was a teen but by the time we'd sent it, they had already sold out.) It's in a generic white sleeve but has a sticker on it. Payola$, Buzzcocks, Skafish, Tom Robinson Band, Chelsea, Jools Holland, Wall of Voodoo, etc., are all on the short list. Some are LPs, others were EPs (even on 7" vinyl, like The Humans "I Live In The City"). I also want a clean 10" copy of the green vinyl Klark Kent EP with original white/rainbow IRS label. (I have a 10" black vinyl silver/maroon-label reissue.) I also need to repurchase the two Cramps LPs I stupidly sold off when CDs promised "perfect sound forever." They were flawless. Now I have to play used vinyl roulette to find one that isn't worn or noisy.

The problem with these is that many were trashed. Some are still common, but many others have escalated in price.

Breakout seems to be a legit UK label that issued some A&M product, but I'd bet this mix is not authorized.

Yeah, I have that CD Megamix that was issued on that same Breakout label. I wonder how many more of these there are.

Harry

I have a promotional copy of the 45 of "Whistle Song (AKA Whistle Star)" mono on one side, stereo on the other that I picked up a long time ago looking through HA singles in a used record shop. :)

I have a promotional copy of the 45 of "Whistle Song (AKA Whistle Star)" mono on one side, stereo on the other that I picked up a long time ago looking through HA singles in a used record shop. :)
That's a good find. The only b-sides or unreleased tracks I've found were "Mexican Drummer Man" and "Fire and Rain," both easy to find. I just don't shop singles much unless I am specifically looking for a b-side I don't have (well, that and I often forget to look for the b-sides on my want list...it's an age thing :laugh: ).

It's time that this item has finally long-gotten some attention:

http://www.discogs.com/Leon-Russell-Misty-Cindy/release/3399970

What is it? It's Leon Russell's version of "Misty", the popular ballad written by Erroll Garner and Johnny Burke, popularized by Johnny Mathis and covered by countless others...

The B-Side is entitled "Cindy", most-likely self-written by Russell, but says "arranged by" (Surely something out there, back then, may have had that title, which he could have covered--The Eddy Fisher song, perhaps?) and the '45' of both of these songs was done in 1964, anticipating Leon's appearance w/ Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass on the Whipped Cream...and Other Delights sessions, leading to enough stints w/ Phil Spector, followed by his own career, that he, himself, could have forgotten about doing these two songs...

I feel a bit wary buying a copy of this from a dealer in Wisconsin w/ only the "Cindy" title listed, and in only VG+ condition, but going for $50, which I saw on one Online source...

-- Dave

I finally tracked down a copy of that Atlantic single of Sergio Mendes & Brasil '65, "All My Loving"/"Telephone Song" on eBay. I had to outbid someone and it's on its way. Hopefully it'll sound decent - I saw another listing of it not too long ago but it was in crappy shape. That seller provided audio on the auction, but this one didn't.

Harry

I've had a hard time finding a clean stereo copy of "Little Green Thing" by Dave Lewis at a somewhat reasonable price.

I found a beaten mono copy for only a few bucks, and the stereo wasn't too hard to find. Been so long that I don't recall what I paid for it, probably $5-ish, but definitely less than $10. The George McCurn (SP-102) was a fair bit more, in the $25 range I'm thinking. Luckily it was pretty much flawless. Really nice player.

for captain I have a white promo of special kind of love/and I'll do it all over again vinyl is mint. I use to work at this one record store here in cleveland ohio records called Tommy Edwards record heaven and the owner gave me a bunch of tjb and

that one was in in the bunch. this is for BBRMN you posted in the review of the tijuana brass. since that post was locked. I will post it here, I too have all of the BMB vinyl in both mono and stereo include the old jukebox eps. I have one from

england do you know the way to san jose. and all of the 45 single releases as well as that 3 cd set I belive it was from time, now was that released before the vault fire or not.

and that is the album I am looking for as well George Mcurn counrty boy and Lucille star and Bob Regan Canadian sweathearts in stereo if possible. those I have not found either in goodwill

stores or record conventions. no luck.

take care
bob

One album i have that was impossible to find until 2009 is Feelings by ukelele master Herb Ohta ( Ohta-San)) feelings was featured on the Nadias theme complilation in 1976 and i was lucky to get that from a place that also makes high quality cd transfers of the albums you can get from them. And i was very happy with it that is how i get my vinyl these days. And well worth the prices.

Back
Top Bottom