What A&M item has been impossible to find?

There is hope for those who seek A&M/CTi out-of-print titles. I find that with a lot of these, you have to look underneath the shelves at record stores. I thought I'd never find Herbie Mann's Glory of Love, but sure enough I found an excellent copy one day in an overstock shelf of a used record store. Their floor was almost invisible from the surplus. The same day, I came across an original release of Wave, red cover and all! I found Artie Butler's one off and a few VERY rare Hubert Laws releases (Morning Star, In the Beginning) just by chance. Go to the used stores before trying ebay, because you might find a better price.

CTi records are all still out there, but they're buried and might even be in the back, waiting to be shuffled around. I'd love to have the Tamba 4 45 with California Soul and Berimbau...

NP "Tappan Zee" from Bob James' BJ4 on CTi.

seashorepiano said:
There is hope for those who seek A&M/CTi out-of-print titles. I found Artie Butler's Have You Met Miss. Jones?. I thought I'd never find Herbie Mann's Glory of Love, but sure enough I found an excellent copy one day in an overstock shelf of a used record store. The same day, I came across an original release of Wave, red cover and all!

CTi records are all still out there! I'd love to have the Tamba 4 '45' with "California Soul" and "Berimbau"...

I found a lot of A&M/CTi titles when the typical record store stock was in its prime, too. But a lot of Mint & Promo copies of some titles were purchased on-line; I was suprised at how many copies of Walter Wanderley's When It Was Done and Nat Adderley's Calling Out Loud I'd have to get just to have that perfect shiny silver "tin-foil" cover...!

Jobim's Wave & Tide, as well as Herbie Mann's Glory... would sometimes be "flea market or Salvation Army/St. Vincent finds", too...

I have a Double-Sided Promo of Tamba 4's "California Soul", found in a box of Jazz '45's, where as a tan-label copy with "California Soul"/"Berimbau" was found shortly after in another box at the same store--Marked Herb Albert & The Boys... :freak:

I never really thought "Berimbau" was really their song, so I sold the '45' with it on there and kept the "California Soul" D/S Promo; and still long for that third album, still yet to be released!!

Dave

...who long ago, thought "Jobim" (Ho-Beem) was pronounced... JOB-im... :laugh:

Harry said:
"Lani Hall - not sure if it exists, ES FACIL AMAR on CD. I have the LP and cassette."

My friend Karénina Yáñez has just bought this LP in a shop called Twin Bells, here in Mexico City. Ah, and my mother has this LP, too, but she left it in Hermosillo.

Harry said:
Also, a rumored compilation LP from Australia that has "Yo Soy Ese Amor" in stereo...

Hi Harry!

I think you could mean "Stereo 70" (if my memory isn't letting me down) and I also think this was a UK release. If you'd like some more info, let me know and I can dig it out over the weekend.

One album I held in my hand and missed because I didn't have enough money in the late-70's was by Arthur Adams and I think it was called "I Love, I Love I Love My Lady" or something similar. If I remeber correctly, I found it in Our Price Records on Charing Cross Road.

Stephen

Obscure A&M items -- gotta be just about my favorite topic in the world.

J&K's STONEBONE (A&M SP 3027) -- still looking for that rare Japan-only release but would "settle" for an import reissue if someone has the foresight to issue one. The All-Music Guide to Jazz says its the best of the 3 A&M/CTI releases.

THIS IS OUR TIME by Children of God (SP 4232) -- not released but cover art was supposed to have appeared in one of those A&M catalogs you could write to the company and request some years ago. Single # 1052 (title song and "Fallen Angel") is all I've got.
Produced by Marty Pekar of Greenwich Village, a record dealer who runs the "Steal a Record" auction lists in "Goldmine."

UNDER MILKWOOD by Milkwood (Sp 4226) -- never found an original LP but luckily the Italian Akarma label reissued it on CD and vinyl at the same time Spirits and Worm was reissued.

My original S&W (SP 4229) came from a New Jersey collector who spotted my want list in "Goldmine" magazine in 1994, pre-internet. He's the guy who told me there were only 10 or 15 and that it got pulled from distribution because of the satanic connection rumors.
The son of the latter member of the Aiello and Mazagglia production team from the record posted at the Corner and e-mailed me privately -- but that's been a while. I think he lives in Atlanta, GA.

Cheryl Dilcher also had a non-A&M album in 1977, BLUE SAILOR.

Finally, Just have to mention another outstanding import reissue label, Siwan, of South Korea.
They've reissued STRAWBS and DRAGONFLY (the 1st two LPs that were UK only) as well as the 3 A&M albums by Esperanto.

If stuff that obscure can see the light of day there's no reason not to reissue the more well known stuff by the more familiar artists.

JB

Stephen Vakil said:
One album I held in my hand and missed because I didn't have enough money in the late-70's was by Arthur Adams and I think it was called "I Love, I Love I Love My Lady" or something similar.

I just picked this album up a couple of months ago. I also passed on it in the 70's, because looking at the personnel it looked like another #@*%$* disco album. But it's actually a pretty decent blues-funk LP.

Capt. Bacardi

Yazmin_Salinas said:
Harry said:
"Lani Hall - not sure if it exists, ES FACIL AMAR on CD. I have the LP and cassette."

My friend Karénina Yáñez has just bought this LP in a shop called Twin Bells, here in Mexico City. Ah, and my mother has this LP, too, but she left it in Hermosillo.

Yes, it's relatively easy to find on LP, but it should have been marketed back in the early days of CDs. I'd think that with Ms. Hall being the wife of the record company co-owner, she might have gotten a CD release - especially since the album won her a Grammy.

But I've yet to hear officially of a CD of ES FACIL AMAR.

Harry

Captain Bacardi said:
Stephen Vakil said:
One album I held in my hand and missed because I didn't have enough money in the late-70's was by Arthur Adams and I think it was called "I Love, I Love I Love My Lady" or something similar.

I just picked this album up a couple of months ago. I also passed on it in the 70's, because looking at the personnel it looked like another #@*%$* disco album. But it's actually a pretty decent blues-funk LP.

sp4752.jpg

It was I Love, Love, Love, Love My Lady. I personally love this LP. The fact that it was produced by Alpert and more or less contains the same session players from Lani's Double Or Nothing and Manolo Badrena's LP was enough for me. Heck I expected all the players from Main Event Live to get a solo LP that summer! Disco-tinged on a few tracks maybe, but this is one fine Jazz-Blues LP and made me seek out other works by Adams.

The cover is a wraqp-around photo, with Adams and the "I Love, Love Love..." on the back while the front featured his amp and the so-called Lady as well as the rest of the title, "...Love My Lady." Decent cover design for the era IMHO...

--Mr Bill

Stephen Vakil said:
Harry said:
Also, a rumored compilation LP from Australia that has "Yo Soy Ese Amor" in stereo...

Hi Harry!

I think you could mean "Stereo 70" (if my memory isn't letting me down) and I also think this was a UK release. If you'd like some more info, let me know and I can dig it out over the weekend.

One album I held in my hand and missed because I didn't have enough money in the late-70's was by Arthur Adams and I think it was called "I Love, I Love I Love My Lady" or something similar. If I remeber correctly, I found it in Our Price Records on Charing Cross Road.

Stephen

Absolutly right, Stephen - it's on STEREO 70, although my copy is now a trifle worn!

I found Adams' I Love, Love...My Lady for a Buck! I was disappointed that it wasn't more of a Disco outing (from what I thought even the cover suggested--Don't ask why...) as Arthur appeared on Nick DeCaro's Italian Graffiti album (on Blue Thumb Records) and gave a good Wah-Wah Guitar solo on one of the songs, that yes, I expected to hear on his LP...

Dave

I'd really love to find this album...Adams' work on the two Alpert/Masakela albums really astonished me!

Dan

If you really like Adams' guitar work, there's also Midnight Fantasy and Home Brew, both on Fantasy, neither of which I have ever seen... But, I have had one album on Blue Thumb, from 1972 entitled, It's Private Tonight which I found Still-Sealed, with a gatefold and all... (Though still rather Blues-y and not approximating that "moment" you hear from him with "other artists")

Dave

Right now it would be Gold Gold (A&M SP-3632) and of course there are a handful of non-LP A&M '45's that I all but run into... I could'a sworn I saw the Nino Tempo & 5th Ave. Sax "Roll It"/"Hawkeye" (or is it "HOT Eye" or "Hot Eyes"??)

Seems more and more like workin' on completing my collection is workin' on completing ME!! :shock:

Dave

...And guess who's job is easier?? :sad:

I would love to find "A Song For You" by Bill Medley, w/ Michel Colombier and prod. by Herb Alpert a gem of an album. Jack Daugherty and the Class of 71" (big band sounds.) Another A&M Classic. Artie Butlers' "Have You Seen Miss Jones" is also very cool! Paul Desmonds: "Summertime", and "Bridge Over Troubled Water". Walter Wanderley's two recordings are fantabulous as well. (I believe these two are now available as Japanese Imports.)
Like someone said before, A&M was (is) one hell of a label.

Richard Carpenter "Time" on CD and Veronique on CD. I had them both and have yet to be able to replace them.

I'd die for a cd of Beyond...or Fandango, from Mr. Alpert. SunDown Lady from Lani Hall.

The cd of the two Hugh Masekela and Herb Alpert recordings I'd really like.

will any of these come under shout!factory? have anyone with connections to mr. alpert in here know?

David, welcome.

We had word a couple of years ago from Randy (Badazz) Alpert, writer and producer of "Rise," who is Herb's nephew. He said that all of Herb's TJB recordings would eventually be released. However Herb has the final say on what comes out, and when. The RISE album was originally rumored to be coming out in April of this year, but that didn't happen. No word (yet) on any of the other solo material. We await further developments. The decision is Herb's and his alone. He owns the masters to all his recordings.

PS: You might be able to find a copy of Lani's SUN DOWN LADY if you watch eBay and gemm.com. It came out on CD briefly a few years ago.

"Beyond" and "Fandango" were both on CD also, but the price they go for is outrageous.

Actually, for me, a couple of "hard to find" items are clean copies of "You Smile--The Song Begins" and especially "Coney Island", of which I own a few copies but they either have too much groove wear or, in the case of one LP, it's a record club copy that sounds absolutely horrible.

I've never encountered an original copy of the Michel Colombier WINGS album. I've got at least two of the re-issued album on LP, and a CD of that version, but the original has proven elusive.

Harry

Harry said:
Great idea for a thread.

Lani Hall - not sure if it exists, ES FACIL AMAR on CD. I have the LP and cassette.

....and of course "Lani" 1982 on CD is not available, right? I bought an LP on Gemm a few years ago in excellent condition from someone in Mexico.

aymnostalgico said:
Harry said:
Great idea for a thread.

Lani Hall - not sure if it exists, ES FACIL AMAR on CD. I have the LP and cassette.

....and of course "Lani" 1982 on CD is not available, right? I bought an LP on Gemm a few years ago in excellent condition from someone in Mexico.

Darn... "Lani" (from 1982) is another LP that my mother left in Hermosillo :cry:

Yazmin_Salinas said:
Darn... "Lani" (from 1982) is another LP that my mother left in Hermosillo

Antonio Bennett's Greatest Hit: "I Left My LP in Hermosillo" :laugh:

--Mr Bill

Back
Top Bottom