Holidays! What are your holiday favorites? [2018 Edition]

Discussion in 'A Small Circle of Friends: The Music Forum' started by Rudy, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin Thread Starter

US
    I'm listening to this release from a few years ago, Michael Franks, Watching The Snow.

[​IMG]

It's one of those refreshing albums that has all original tunes written by Franks, as opposed to rehashing the same narrow repertoire that many albums cover (and many modern day artists absolutely slaughter :wink: ). Delightful!

As always my standby favorites include a few that I try to play at least partially during the few days I listen throughout the year. This list tends to change over time, and I've added a few recent ones that feature almost all original tunes that are a joy to listen to.

TJB: Christmas Album
    Vince Guaraldi Trio: A Charlie Brown Christmas
    Ella Fitzgerald: Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas
    Brian Setzer Orchestra: any of his three releases
    Ramsey Lewis: Sounds of Christmas
    The Mavericks: Hey! Merry Christmas!
    JD McPherson: Socks
    David Benoit: Christmastime

Runners-up:
    Carpenters: Christmas Portrait (original vinyl only)
    Jimmy Smith: Christmas Cookin'
    Lou Rawls: Merry Christmas! Ho! Ho! Ho!
    David Benoit: Remembering Christmas
    John Pizzarelli: Let's Share Christmas
    Diana Krall: Christmas Songs
    Henry Mancini: A Merry Mancini Christmas
    Manhattan Transfer: The Christmas Album
    Skafish: Tidings of Comfort and Joy
    Peggy Lee: Christmas
    Roomful of Blues: Roomful of Christmas

2. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

My Christmas favorites besides Herbs Christmas albums are David Benoit's 1983 Christmastime and Vince guaraldi's A Charlie Brown Christmas and the earlier Mannheim steamroller Christmas albums as well as that ever classic " You're a mean one Mr Grinch .And my Carpenter's 2 CD Christmas set too just to name a few

Rudy likes this.
  3. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

TJB: Christmas Album
    Carpenters: Christmas Portrait and An Old Fashioned Christmas
    A&M Artists: i Something Festive !
    Amy Grant: Home For Christmas
    Vince Guaraldi: A Charlie Brown Christmas
    Mannheim Steamroller: Christmas, Fresh Aire Christmas, Christmas In The Aire
    Percy Faith & His Orchestra: Music Of Christmas
    Herb Alpert: A Christmas Wish
    Nick Bicât: Score for A Christmas Carol (George C. Scott version)

Plus many compilations with various Christmas tracks from everyone from Bing Crosby and Perry Como to the Eurythmics and Pomplamoose.

Bobberman and Rudy like this.
  4. DeeInKY

DeeInKY Well-Known Member

Dug some old vinyl out at the alternate location and found my original album from the old Rudolph tv special with Burl Ives.

Rudy likes this.
  5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

so it’s only a few days before Christmas, and what Christmas albums do you pull out yearly and go into “heavy rotation” in your house? Sure you might have a lot of Christmas records, but which ones get spun more than once?

For me it would have to be
    Carpenters Christmas Collection
    Beach Boys Ultimate Christmas
    Evie Christmas Memories
    Burl Ives Have A Holly Jolly Christmas
    Time-Life Treasury Of Christmas
    Maranatha Music Long Play Christmas Collection
    Sandi Patti The Gift Goes On
    Brian Wilson All I want For Christmas

Rudy likes this.
  6. lj

lj Active Member

I have to start with the best selling single in history according to Wikipedia, that is, Bing Crosby's "White Christmas." Other favorites are: The Carpenters "Merry Christmas Darling," Perry Como "Christmas Dream," from the film the Odessa File, Nat King Cole "The Christmas Song," Sinatra "The Christmas Waltz," Sinatra and Bing Crosby "We Wish You the Merriest," Steve and Eydie "Hurry Home for Christmas," Robert Goulet "Panis Angelicus," Harry Simeone Chorale "Little Drummer Boy," Leroy Anderson "Sleigh Ride." For me the old traditional ones are the best.

Rudy likes this.
  7. Rudy

US
    I have found the same myself--the older recordings have more of the "spirit" in them than many of the newer recordings. (Much of what I hear out in public--on radio or at retail--is pathetic.) I'm spinning The Jack Jones Christmas Album at the moment, digging the 60s vibe of it, and how it represents an era gone by.

The newer recordings I like are ones where the tunes are mostly originals. And they still have to be in a retro style anyway. Of my new finds this year, all three reach back into the 50s, 60s and 70s for inspiration. No drum machines, no Autotune, no synthesizers in sight--just singers and instruments, with a sleigh bell or two to kick things into high gear.

DeeInKY, DAN BOLTON and Bobberman like this.
  8. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

There's nothing quite Like that "Old School Christmas Music" as Rudy Described above "Spot On".

9. lj

lj Active Member

Rudy--did the Jack Jones Xmas album have his great recording of "Do You Hear What I Hear?" Jack Jones several years ago hosted a PBS TV pledge drive special--the MY MUSIC series--essentially covering the great pop vocalists of the 60s. A great show, and he was and is a great singer who just turned 80.

10. Rudy

US
    Yes! Track #7 on CD, Track #1 on side 2 of the LP. :thumbsup:

11. DeeInKY

It’s sort of like watching “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” There’s some things that you just never get tired of.

Rudy likes this.
  12. lj

lj Active Member

In the 1960s Columbia Records had a series of yearly holiday albums entitled "The Great Songs of Christmas". They cost only $1.00 and were available at Goodyear Tire stores. I have the albums between 1963-1968. And what an incredible variety of music both secular and religious. At this time Columbia had the biggest recording stars under contract and they all were featured. In the Pop realm you heard Streisand, Tony Bennett, Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme, Johnny Mathis, Robert Goulet, Jerry Vale, Percy Faith, The New Christy Minstrels etc. and for the Classical realm it was Leonard Bernstein, George Szell and Eugene Ormandy. Even today for the Christmas season these are my go to albums to play.

DeeInKY and Rudy like this.
  13. Rudy

US
    That reminds me of the compilation we had in the house:

upload_2018-12-24_20-35-39.png

I found the CD equivalent and gave it a spin. It wasn't as good as I remember it, unfortunately, since much of it has not dated well. (And the Marlene Dietrich tune is very strange.) Yet the favorite tunes on these records are still favorites of mine today, like the Peggy Lee "I Like A Sleighride (Jingle Bells)" and Lou Rawls "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas." For these, I found the original albums they came from, which I enjoy.

DeeInKY likes this.
  14. DeeInKY

What was the connection between tire stores and music compilations? Seems like they all had one. Just like gas stations gave away steak knives and drinking glasses. Everyone gave away stuff in the 60s. (Still using some of these things. :whistle:)

Rudy likes this.
  15. lj

lj Active Member

Here is a terrific version of the "Christmas Waltz" from Volume 8 the Great Songs of Christmas from 1968, with a duet by Robert Goulet who was Lancelot in Broadway's Camelot and Carol Lawrence, Broadway's original Maria in West Side Story.

DeeInKY likes this.
  16. lj

lj Active Member

Here is another Xmas track--It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" from the same album--Vol. 8 The Great Songs of Christmas-- by Andy Williams who also was under contract with Columbia Records. The legendary Columbia Records CEO Goddard Lieberson had a knack at signing top talent to the label in the 1950s and 60s. And it was an amazing variety, from the likes of Bob Dylan to Bernstein to Mitch Miller and his sing along albums. And it all sold millions of records.

DeeInKY likes this.
  17. Rudy

US
    Great stuff, @lj ! A lot of these tunes are ones that a lot of us have heard in various places over the past few decades.

DeeInKY likes this.
  18. lj

lj Active Member

DeeInKY--You're right, it seemed like in the past tire company stores tended to sell holiday music compilations. Here is another one I found in my collection--"Popular Christmas Classics", copyright 1977, purchased at a Firestone or Goodyear store. This time Capitol Records recording artists like Dean Martin, Nat King Cole and Glen Campbell were featured.

DeeInKY likes this.