What does your ENTIRE collection consist of?

As I have discussed on another thread, it sucks when you are a music collector and you downsize when you move to an Island. :sad:
Physical copies:

I have my 7" singles of the entire (A&M) US output and selected non-USA titles not released as singles here.
All the (A&M) USA vinyl albums from Offering to Lovelines, plus Time.
CD's, (A&M) (US) Ticket to Ride to the RPO, plus Karen Carpenter. Plus (non US) Live in Japan and Live at the Palladium.
Box CD's: (US) From The Top and The Essential Collection.
DVD's (US) Gold, Interpretations, and Close To You - Remembering the Carpenters.

Just kept the essential, IMO, so I do not have a "complete" collection anymore. It's all I have room for now. Got rid of all tapes, audio and video.
Plus I have a hard drive with lots of other "goodies." But am not buying any more physical product.......I'm hoping! :)

Oh dear, I was afraid someone might ask something like this.

Go easy on me :D

I have very little, mainly as I’m just not a collecting kind of person (I like to travel light), but also with Karen sadly no longer with us, it feels as though there’s no rush to get anything as what’s available won’t change much.

I don’t scour the internet looking for rare stuff as that’s not my mindset, so it’s just a case of slowly buying what’s generally available. Of course if I saw something on eBay like a concert programme that wasn’t expensive, I’d probably buy it but I wouldn’t want loads of stuff like that.

I bought a greatest hits album called ‘Only Yesterday’ many, many years ago and since then I’ve acquired the ‘Lovelines’ album, the ‘Made in America’ album, the ‘Christmas Portrait’ album, a CD collection called ‘Transmissions’, which includes some concert footage, and a cassette (remember them?) which could be the ‘Reflections’ compilation but I’m not sure where it is so cannot check and a CD called ‘The Nation’s Favourite Carpenters Songs’.

If it counts I still have somewhere the VHS cassette I used to record the film about Karen’s life starring Cynthia Gibb.

Other than that I have the solo album, the Ray Coleman biography as well as two signed copies of books by Randy Schmidt and Randy also sent me a signed postcard as I contributed to the the appeal he ran to fund the audio book version of ‘Little Girl Blue’.

It may not be enough stuff to be considered a collection, but I do consider it important and I’ll continue to add to it as time goes by.

Hey Harry, Chris May or any other mega fan on here. To your knowledge or opinions, who has the most extensive collection of Carpenters recordings and memorabilia in their private collections? Just curious if anyone had ever really shared that information, or even wants in known. Richard Carpenter excluded of course. There are so many passionate fans around the world. Like most of us on here. Just curious as to what’s out there that people have found over their years of music store, EBay, garage sales, and Goldmine collecting days. Thanks for any guesses.

Not all that much but here goes (all CDs apart from one DVD) in order of purchase:

Gold (UK 2000, black cover)

Gold (UK CD and DVD edition, gold cover)

The Ultimate Collection (UK version)

Carpenters Collected

The Compact Disc Collection (UK - 1990 version). [All studio albums from Ticket to Ride to Lovelines, including Christmas Portrait Special Edition]

Singles 1974-1978 (not remastered)

Singles 1969-1973 (not remastered)

As Time Goes By

Carpenters with Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Live at the Palladium

Yesterday Once More (UK 1984 edition)

I have all the original studio albums in vinyl and cassette and CD, the two live albums, almost all compilations, all the solo albums, and the boxed sets. I also have a couple of new vinyl albums as birthday gifts from one of my sons who is an audiophile.

Forgot that I have the Live at the Palladium album as well, but what I mainly remember when I play it (which isn't often as it's on tape) is playing it in the car on the drive to Cornwall in the summer of 1991. For me, some of these items are about what I was doing, where I was living, the car I was driving, who I was dating etc etc at the time and the memories that they bring back when I play the various tracks. It's not just about a sealed CD that never gets played. No offence if that's how people like to keep their collection, but that's just not me.

Similarly, the albums Mark has that were given by his son must have more meaning that some of the others.

I have many. many copies (sealed and unsealed) of all the LPs, 45s, cassettes, 8-tracks and CDs. As a Fan Club member from the 1970s, I also have a few of the posters, t-shirts and other collectibles. I still have a bunch of handwritten letters from Evelyn Wallace and the program from Karen's funeral. I'm pretty much done collecting, now that I have completed the following:

All of the promo LPs released in the US, from Offering to Lovelines (duplicates and triplicates in most of them). Toughest ones to find were Close to You, Song For You, Now and Then, Lovelines (for now, only one copy in each of those). Surprised that Offering was pretty common, of which I have three copies

All of the promo 45s released in the US, from Ticket to Ride to Honolulu City Lights (many extra copies in most of them). Both versions of the Close to You/I Kept on Loving You promo: mono and stereo. I lucked out last year and got Little Altar Boy for only $1.50. For the life of me, I have no idea where I got the Honolulu City Lights promo (with the Hawaiian shirt picture sleeve). It was stored away in my closet for more than 20 years and I just re-discovered it recently. Surprisingly, one of the toughest ones to find in mint condition is the Top of the World promo, probably because radio stations must have played it repeatedly

I have a fair amount of international releases, but my main interest is domestic releases.

I haven't played it in years. Any time I want to hear Carpenters, I'll go to the ripped files on the computer, or play a CD. Every once in awhile, something comes up online where I need to dig out the vinyl to check something - like with "B'wana She No Home" and its better stereo on the vinyl and single - but usually, the CDs and rips are good enough.

My copy of OFFERING was my "play" copy for many years, so I wouldn't be surprised to find the vinyl in a fairly well-used state. It always sounded distorted, but it still does on all CDs, so that's the way it was recorded. I recall playing a new TICKET TO RIDE LP and was surprised to find the same distortion (loud parts on "Someday" are an example).

Records, CDs, tapes, videos - were meant to be played.
I haven't played it in years. Any time I want to hear Carpenters, I'll go to the ripped files on the computer, or play a CD. Every once in awhile, something comes up online where I need to dig out the vinyl to check something - like with "B'wana She No Home" and its better stereo on the vinyl and single - but usually, the CDs and rips are good enough.
Post 203408, then post 204170. Is this the case of giving advice, but not necessarily following it Harry? lol :wink:

My copy of OFFERING was my "play" copy for many years, so I wouldn't be surprised to find the vinyl in a fairly well-used state. It always sounded distorted, but it still does on all CDs, so that's the way it was recorded. I recall playing a new TICKET TO RIDE LP and was surprised to find the same distortion (loud parts on "Someday" are an example).

So Harry, I'm just trying to get you on this...Are you saying the original pressing of Offering was distorted and they just pretty much repackaged that distorted recording onto Ticket To Ride? So, are you disappointed with the sound quality of your Offering vinyl?

The pressing is fine. The recording itself is distorted.

Back
Top Bottom