What is the ULTIMATE Carpenters collection on CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnInNYC

I know, I know, not an easy question to answer as I've recently discovered. I'll do my best to keep this simple.

I've always been a fan of Karen's lovely voice and Richard's music (who isn't?) but don't own any of their recordings. After listening to alot of dance music, hard rock and electronica over the years, I've decided I really need to get some Carpenters into my collection. But which one?!?

Geez, there are too many releases to decide which one is "best" so I'll leave it up to you, The Carpenters aficionados. I do want a comprehensive collection but I also want the BEST sound quality available. Those remixes frighten me a little because I haven't heard them and I'm afraid they won't sound like the songs as I remember them and with too much fluff added. On the other hand, if they're enhanced by the remixing thus creating a superior recording, I'm all for it. See what I mean? This is CONFUSING. I'm sure you die-hards have been dealing with this for years.

The Japanese pressings look lovely and cost isn't an issue. I do have a deep appreciation for the superior packaging and pressing job Japan does. But which one? The Essential Collection? Anthology?

Any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Love,
John
:rolleyes:

Hi John, welcome to the Forum.

You said you wanted comprehensive, so I guess the best suggestion is to stick with the domestic re-issues of each album. These came out a few years ago and virtually all are still in print. They come under the title of "Remastered Classics", with those words viewable inside the clear spine of the CDs. These CDs contain the genuine, original mixes that those of us who 'grew up' with Carpenters, heard on the old LPs. They make a great starting point for a collection. You'll get to basically hear virtually everything the duo did from their humble beginnings, through their 'hits' era, and into their refined latter day work. The albums include:

TICKET TO RIDE
CLOSE TO YOU
CARPENTERS
A SONG FOR YOU
NOW AND THEN
SINGLES 1969-1973 (now out of print)
HORIZON
A KIND OF HUSH
PASSAGE
MADE IN AMERICA
VOICE OF THE HEART
and the late 80's album LOVELINES

Those will get you a great deal of the duo's work. After that you might be interested in hearing some of those remixes, and a great collection of remixes is also from the Reamastered Classics series: YESTERDAY ONCE MORE. Most of the hits were presented on that dual CD set and virtually all feature Richard's remixes. In these, he often re-performs his keyboard work with newer stereo separation techniques, and he often has other original performers re-do their parts on flute, oboes and such in order to better surround Karen's original vocals (often reverbed in these remixes) with the best sound he can. They're a hit and miss proposition: some fans really like them, others hate them, and some think some are good and some are not-so-good.

The ESSENTIAL box set is a career-spanning set that hits all of the highlights and some of the favored album tracks. Some of these are remixes, some are originals, but the whole set sounds great. These may all be just about the best versions of these tracks to date, and it's a good place to start if you're looking for an all-inclusive package without buying all of the albums.

One more really essential item would be the Japanese-only release of AS TIME GOES BY. That album collected many TV-recorded performances and some leftover studio odds and ends from over the years. It's a mixed bag, but some tracks are truly magical.

Oh, and don't forget the CHRISTMAS COLLECTION. That's a two album set with both of their Christmas albums included.

Good luck in your collection. If we can be of further help, give us a shout. We love thus stuff and have many knowledgeable fans among our numbers.

Harry
...welcoming John, online...

I'd have to say that the single best Carpenters collection on CD is THE SINGLES: 1969-1973 (in the "Remastered Classics" edition, which is unfortunately out-of-print).

If you're looking for more than the familiar hits, then there are two which could be highly recommended -- ANTHOLOGY (from Japan), which contains only A&M studio material and superbly covers their entire career at A&M, but with un-remastered sound; and then there's THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION, which is really the best collection but contains a lot of "extra" stuff like early recordings and commercials, all with remastered sound.

For the money, THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION is the one to get. You'll get ALL the hits, a lot of the good album material, plus a lot of extra stuff, all in the best possible sound quality. The somewhat limited number of remixes on THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION are all good ones, honestly, unlike collections like YESTERDAY ONCE MORE which contain TOO many remixes.
Hope this helps...

David

Hi John,
Welcome to the boards.
I'd start with the ESSENTIALS boxed set. All the hits plus some great songs- like "Ordinary Fool", the little heard, but incredible, Paul Williams saloon song.
When you want to be wowed in another direction, pick up "Karen Carpenter" the solo disc. Her change of style from one song to another will show you how versatile a songstress she was. From the jazzy "Last One Singin' the Blues" to the almost folk "All Because of You", the voice of the 70s takes on a whole new feel. Some listeners and fans hate the rhythmic feel and disco/jazz leanings of this album, but I find it refreshing. Her cover version of Paul Simon's "Still Crazy After All These Years" is alone worth the price of the disc.
On the other hand, I'd skip Richard's 2nd solo disc, if you can even find it. (The first one is out of print in the US.) The 2nd solo disc is muzak at its worst. Picture Lawrence Welk doing Carpenters and you get the picture.
(I do hear his Christmas album due October 2003 is quite good.)
Hope this helps you!
Mark

SINGLES 1969-1973 is now out of print???? :o Geez, that's ridiculous! Why in the world would that collection go out of print? It's their best-selling retrospective and topped the charts.

Blessings,
Mickey

mstaft said:
On the other hand, I'd skip Richard's 2nd solo disc, if you can even find it. (The first one is out of print in the US.) The 2nd solo disc is muzak at its worst. Picture Lawrence Welk doing Carpenters and you get the picture.

I agree that Richard's 2nd solo is pretty dull stuff, but there is ONE great track on there... "Karen's Theme". That is the prettiest melody that I've heard in a long time. I love playing this song on the piano too. :)

Murray

One of these days I'm going to make my own ESSENTIAL CARPENTERS collection. It will probably be a two-disc set and will include all the hits as well as several favorite album cuts that for some reason NEVER seem to make it onto collections, like "Crescent Noon," "Two Sides," "Sometimes," and "I Have You."

The Singles 1969-1973 is their best compilation easily, with The Singles 1969 - 1981 a close 2nd.

I would reccommend the 2-Disc Classics Vol.2, myself! Everything I would need to hear is there.

Think it once actually had a "real" title and was also available on vinyl and cassette and even included a lotta pics of Karen and Richard...and Herb, too!

Kat

John-If you want Karen's best work,get CLOSE TO YOU,HORIZON,CHRISTMAS COLLECTION and VOICE OF THE HEART.I would supplement those 4 albums with one of the single-disc compilations,LOVE SONGS or INTERPRETATIONS.LOVE SONGS is probably the most comprehensive single-disc compilation ever made,containing many of Karen's signature songs:"This Masquerade","A Song For You","For All We Know","Solitaire",etc.INTERPRETATIONS is pretty similar,but is more standard-heavy,featuring "Little Girl Blue","When I Fall In Love",and Cole Porter's "From This Moment On".If your not on a tight budget,you could pick up the 4-CD ESSENTIAL COLLECTION.It's a good overview,but does contain alot of "non-essential" stuff,like demos,TV jingles,the oldies medley,etc.Of course,it's worth the price just for the "Karen/Ella" medley.Avoid the greatest Hits packages,YESTERDAY ONCE MORE and SINGLES 1969-1981-They're largely comprised of the forgettable bubblegum hits,not to mention the horrible remixes!Also,avoid PASSAGE,MADE IN AMERICA,TICKET TO RIDE and Karen's solo album.

chpoof said:
SINGLES 1969-1973 is now out of print???? :o Geez, that's ridiculous! Why in the world would that collection go out of print? It's their best-selling retrospective and topped the charts.

In the past couple of years, upon the release of SINGLES 1969-1981, the older SINGLES 1969-1973 went out of print. I suppose that the powers that be just couldn't stand having both available and figured newer is better. So, unceremoniously, the older SINGLES was dumped - after just having gotten a Remastered treatment too.

Some copies of this are still floating around at various sites and brick-and-mortar stores. I urge anyone who's ever had a slight interest to pick it up wherever you can find it before it disappears forever.

Harry

mr J. said:
Avoid the greatest Hits packages,YESTERDAY ONCE MORE and SINGLES 1969-1981-They're largely comprised of the forgettable bubblegum hits,not to mention the horrible remixes!Also,avoid PASSAGE,MADE IN AMERICA,TICKET TO RIDE and Karen's solo album.

As you can see, John, even among Carpenters fans there is great disagreement as to what's essential and what's not, and many are rather passionate about their choices. Rather than give you my own biases, I listed in my post above what I thought would give YOU the best chances of hearing this stuff for yourself and letting YOU make those decisions. That's half of the fun of being a fan.

Harry
...hoping John will get a pretty good overview of various fans' input, online...

Kathy said:
I would reccommend the 2-Disc Classics Vol.2, myself! Everything I would need to hear is there.

Think it once actually had a "real" title and was also available on vinyl and cassette and even included a lotta pics of Karen and Richard...and Herb, too!

Kat

It was originally called Yesterday Once More and is available in several different iterations:

- the original LP and CD that featured a few new remixes from 1985
- the re-released Classics Volume 2 version that was the same as above
- the Remastered Classic series version with a new cover, slightly different track listing, and many more remixes.

Harry
...thinking YESTERDAY ONCE MORE should be retired as a title choice, online...

Hooray, for Harry!! Always love your detailed replies.

If I had to start "anew" with Carpenters albums, I think I would start with the "Essential Collection". The clarity of it is wonderful! And, it's a great "history" of their music over the years.

Next would be the remastered "A Song for You". Richard has himself said it's the quintessential Carpenters album. One definite plus on this album is the fact that he does the liner notes. And, I know I've said this many times before on this forum, that's a definite bonus! Also, it makes for interesting reading!

Not to be forgotten are the Christmas albums, now united in the "Christmas Collection". To me, their Christmas music is the best of ANYBODY'S!!!! (Can't you just tell I'm sooooo prejudiced?!!)

Marilyn,
in great anticipation of Richard's NEW Christmas album!

Wow! Thank you all for your invaluable input. I truly appreciate it. After carefully reading this thread, as well as others, I've decided to opt for the digitally remastered Japan issue of "Singles 1969-1973" catalog #UICY-3249. I'm assuming this is the one thats out-of-print? I was able to locate a copy online from a reliable seller in Japan that I've been dealing with for years.

I did consider the Japan edition of "The Essential Collection" but "Singles" seems to be a purer choice for a beginner such as myself. I'm not too wet behind the ears as I forgot to mention in my first posting above that "Top Of The World" was the very first single I bought as a child. We all know that The Carpenters music has been overshadowed by tacky anorexia jokes and labeled as the ultimate in schmaltz. Yes, there was that tribute CD a few years back but, for me, that smacked of the let's-jump-on-the-camp-value-bandwagon. I've always taken their music seriously. Gorgeous arrangements accompanied by Karen's unique voice, there simply isn't anything out there that you could compare it to. Unlike most other groups, have you ever heard anyone say, "That sounds like The Carpenters?"

I can't wait to get the CD in my player and will post once I do. Thanks again for all your guidance. "The Essential Collection" will most probably be my next purchase. The Japanese edition as the outer sleeve is a thicker cardboard (see Harry? I have been doing my reading! :wink: )

On a side note, I don't know if its blasphemous to even mention this, but has anyone seen the Todd Haines' film, "The Karen Carpenter Story" done with Barbie dolls? He's a terrific director ("Safe", "Poison", "Far From Heaven") and although I haven't seen the film, I've heard its done with respect and tenderness. However, I also know Richard wasn't happy about it and was wondering if any die-hard fans have seen the film?

Love,
John

[/b]

You can't go wrong with SINGLES 1969-1973. It was their first (and many say best) of their compilations, and it was put together in such a way as to be one of THE most listenable Carpenters albums out there. I'd forgotten that it was still in print in Japan. The mastering should be about the same as the domestic out-of-print version,so you'll do well there.

Here's what you'll get:

The album starts of with an uncredited opening from "Close To You" which sounds just like the original record until it gets to just past "...everytime, you are near." Then the orchestra takes over to finish this as a prelude segueing to "We've Only Just Begun".

Then comes "Top Of The World", the single mix. Karen & Richard re-did this song for single release so it's not the same as the track on A SONG FOR YOU.

While still in the same key, we get the (then) brand, spanking new mix of "Ticket To Ride", totally re-recorded by the duo for this album, as they were ultimately unhappy with the original mix on OFFERING/TICKET TO RIDE.

Next comes the original album mix of "Superstar", though it segues into "Rainy Days And Mondays." These two songs seem to belong together in this order, and appear that way on nearly every compilation on which they appear. This was the first such pairing, and it's inspired.

At the conclusion of "Rainy Days...", Richard had Karen re-record the last line so as to provide yet another segue, this time into "Goodbye To Love", and thus wrapping up side one of the old LP.

Side two is a bit more straightforward in its approach. There are no segues, just the tracks themselves, with "Yesterday Once More" and "Close To You" appearing as they did on their respective single releases.

Bottom line - great choice, and as I said, a most listenable album. Millions can't be wrong - it remains Carpenters' best seller.

Harry
...thinking John just might be buying more later, online...

That was always one of my favorite features of Carpenters records -- the creative seques between songs. My favorite of all is the transition from "Crystal Lullaby" to "Road Ode" on A SONG FOR YOU.

From my standpoint the Horizon album captures Karen's voice in its most delicious form. Her rich and entrancing lower register is clearly represented as is her gifted phrasing and intonation. Richard's arrangements fit Karen's singing like a glove. The perfect marriage of talent and creativity. Quite simply, this album says it all! Definitely a "must have".

Happy collecting!

Jeff

Hi John Welcome aboard.

I was also going to say the SINGLES 1969-1973 and since you already got it, I'm sure you'll agree. Let us know your review after you listen.

It's funny cause I have been a fan for a very long time & the singles 69-73 CD I don't have. LOL Of course I have the original LP (perfect copy) so I burned it to CDR & am having such a great time with this. However I do want to buy the Re-Mastered Cd, just haven't found it yet. But one day I will & I will get it.

I'm curious how this Japan version will sound to you. I bought 2 of the Mini LP CD Style Remastered, Lovelines & Voice of the Heart, those Japan Cd's are #1 on my list of clarity, volume & overall best CD's I have heard, I personally think they are better than the US remastered classics but that is just my opinion.

Harry said:
In the past couple of years, upon the release of SINGLES 1969-1981, the older SINGLES 1969-1973 went out of print. I suppose that the powers that be just couldn't stand having both available and figured newer is better. So, unceremoniously, the older SINGLES was dumped - after just having gotten a Remastered treatment too.

Some copies of this are still floating around at various sites and brick-and-mortar stores. I urge anyone who's ever had a slight interest to pick it up wherever you can find it before it disappears forever.

I'm glad I went ahead and purchased it--or I should say REPURCHASED it after it was remastered. I still can't believe A&M let it go out of print, especially considering it's the only place where you can get that special mix of "We've Only Just Begun" at the beginning of the disc.

Blessings,
Mickey

Since it's still in print in Japan, I guess we could ponder the fact that it might eventually return to in-print status in the States as well, at some future date.

I can imagine someone somewhere making the decision to remove it from the catalog to avoid confusion with the similarly titled SINGLES 1969-1981, and wanting to boost sales of that latter title.

Harry
...with theories, online...

Yeah, I suppose from a marketing perspective that does make sense. And at least it can still be purchased as an import, so it's not like it's disappeared completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom