What is this song?

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by NorbertBeaver, Feb 4, 2019.

1. NorbertBeaver

NorbertBeaver New Member Thread Starter

I was watching this Youtube video about a Nintendo game when this Herb Alpert like song shows up in the background. You can hear it pretty clearly if you scroll the video up to 2:30. Here's the link...

I'm pretty sure this has to be Herb, but my Shazam app couldn't recognize it, and I haven't been able to find it anywhere online so far. Any ideas?

Mahanusafa02 likes this.
  2. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    The music is all original in the Smash Brothers Ultimate game. But that doesn't mean someone wouldn't copy Herb's style for the background music. :wink:

That is the practice stage--I can check out the music track later on this evening, provided I have the track unlocked for that stage. (I have all the characters unlocked, but I know there are more music tracks I need to unlock.)

I don't have audio at the moment to listen to the video, but, is the music from the game, or does someone have it playing in the background? (Some YouTubers hold a phone in front of a TV to capture video. But this doesn't look to be the case here.)

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  3. NorbertBeaver

I haven't heard that music in the game before, but I suppose it's possible. I thought it was a separate track added in by the video creator. Please me know what you think when you finally have a chance to listen to it. Thank you for the reply so far!

4. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    I forgot--the practice stage doesn't have music to it. :D

I listened over the laptop--it's not a Herb song but it's a heck of a good imitation of one! I found no matches with SoundHound either.

5. NorbertBeaver

Aw, man!! Haha Well, thanks for trying then. Maybe it is just a really well done imitation! That's why I like it! I still hope I can find out what it is someday. Thank you very much for looking into that for me!

Rudy likes this.
  6. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

There always have been many imitators and even today although not as often as the 60s

7. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    We had some lame band arrangement in middle school that had a few sections which we were supposed to play in the "style" of three or four different bands. It was a medley of holiday tunes, and I remember the "Tijuana Brass" section was set to half a verse of "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree" which, not surprisingly, sounded not even remotely TJB-ish when we played it. :D (Besides, back then, that was considered "old fogie music" and most of the fellow band students couldn't be arsed to even bother trying to sound like the TJB. :laugh: )

Bobberman likes this.
  8. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

In my school days in our band class we were given Tijuana taxi to play and at that time ( 1978) most of the class HATED Herb and everything associated with him they thought he was old Fogie music ( which was totally untrue) and we sounded awful as a result because I was the only one who liked it and wanted to do my best and I was bullied continually for it so I can understand your situation