What Kind of Music Does Richard Listen to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

What I mean is what format do you think her prefers?

Do you think he ever listens to his own records as enjoyment? If so do you think he listens to LP's, Tapes or CD's????

I can tell you from my own experience that I have some Carpenters Lp's that I swear sound better than the original CD's. And that is using a subpar turntable, I don't own a really expensive turntable.

Seeing that Richard was brought up with the LP format, do you think he still listens to them at home? I also wonder whether he even listens to his own records at all (except for when he re-masters them), I would think listening to them would bring him comfort, hearing Karen, once gets the impression that she is still hear, sometimes in the next room. :wink:

Hi Chris!

I think he probably prefers CDs, but listens to all formats and listens to EVERYTHING!! I think he likes all kinds of music. Then, too, his kids probably have all the latest music and play it all the time! When I got a new record as a teenager, I nearly drove everyone nuts while I played it over and over again!!

We'll never know for sure, but it's fun to muse about!

Marilyn

thestitch said:
I think he probably prefers CDs, but listens to all formats and listens to EVERYTHING!! I think he likes all kinds of music.

Marilyn

He would tell stories about how the quality of vinyl made in one country is superior to that in another and seems to be looking for a better sound all the time.

IMHO, I think he prefers vinyl because a few of my friends who are particular about the sounds say that it sounds as if the singer of a record is present singing in front of you.
One of them ordered a needle and vacuum tube from abroad. Either of them is made in Switzerland and costs about TWO THOUSAND dollars!
For what? For a better sound!

It is said that when Richard was here in Japan, he went to a record shop and bought some cds. So it is obvious that he listens to them.
Considering its convenience, it's natural he enjoy them just as well as others.
Still, he is a record collector, too. I guess that when he really has time to relax, he'll play his favorite records.

350hunny said:
It is said that when Richard was here in Japan, he went to a record shop and bought some cds. So it is obvious that he listens to them.

That's true. Richard bought a copy of "Time Further Out" by Dave Brubeck while in Japan. I remember reading somewhere that before Karen got her first drum set, she would tap on kitchen stools while listening to this album, quickly learning the complex rhythms and time signatures. Richard had been looking for this album on CD for years, and according to Yuka, who accompanied him on his shopping trip, he was "thrilled" to finally find it.

Murray
NP It's a Raggy Waltz from "Time Further Out"...

Murray, that rings a bell in my mind.
I also remember Yuka saying that he'd bought himself a bootleg cd of their music.

Interesting, thanks everyone.

So what kind of music is this "Time Further Out" by Dave Brubeck? Vocalists? or Intrumental? I have not heard of him. Where might I find some clips to hear? This makes me want to hear what kind of music this is that Richard so desperately hunted down to find.

Time Out is a classic jazz quartet recording by the Dave Brubeck Quartet, featuring Paul Desmond on alto sax. The track "Take Five" was a Billboard top five hit in the early 60's--you may know it if you'd heard it. Its big attraction was the use of different time signatures in each song. "Blue Rondo a la Turk" is a song in 9/8, but done in a Turkish rhythm of 2-2-2-3. "Take Five" is in 5/4. "Kathy's Waltz" introduces a 3/4 waltz with a 2-beat rhythm superimposed over it. Time Further Out is the follow-up...it has more time signature explorations, including "Unsquare Dance" in 7/4. Sound samples should be readily available on Amazon for some of these tracks.

Back when Brubeck was almost a household name in jazz, some purists dismissed his music as being too mainstream, but IMHO he's one of the few jazz artists (along with Desmond's solos) whose songs have a melody you can follow. I think I burned out on Time Out, so I give Time Further Out a very slight edge in my own preference...but you can't go wrong getting either one, or both of these classics. Time Out is perenially in print (my first CD copy was from 1984), while Time Further Out has only been available for the past five or six years or so (which I bought immediately when it came out). Vinyl wouldn't be too hard to find either, unless you're really into "first pressings". :wink:

A&M connection: Paul Desmond recorded a handful of solo albums for the A&M/CTi label, and a 25th anniversary of the Brubeck Quartet (with Desmond) was released on A&M as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom