3. Brasilia (Julius Wechter) 2:30
4. If I Were A Rich Man (Harnick-Rock) 2:33
5. Five Minutes More (Styne-Cahn) 1:53
6. The Shadow Of Your Smile (Mandel-Webster) 3:28

Produced by Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss
Arranged by Herb Alpert
Engineered by Larry Levine, Gold Star
Album Designed by Peter Whorf Graphics

Billboard peak album chart position: 1, 9 weeks (debuted 5/21/66)
Weeks in Top 40 album chart: 141
RIAA certified Gold (5/9/66)
Album released 1966

Listening to this album today on the newest Herb Alpert Presents CD and doing a little comparison to its elder brothers. This version strikes a nice balance between the old A&M CD and the Shout! issue. The older A&M CD had a sort of thin sound to it while the Shout version tended toward a slightly overbloated bass. The newest version is right in the sweet spot in the middle and I think Randy deserves kudos for getting it right.

WHAT NOW MY LOVE was always my favorite classic Tijuana Brass album and it's good to have it get such a good treatment.

Agreed, it's a great balanced album -- still has some of that "mariachi" flavor but it's squarely in the pop/rock vein and firing on all cylinders.

The only song on it that I can really say I don't care for is "If I Were A Rich Man" -- I don't know why but that one just sort of leaves me cold. Every other tune just hits the mark. My favorite song on it is "Freckles" which should have been a single....I suppose the only reason it wasn't is due to the wealth of other great choices.

While I own the shout factory version on CD I do have the HAP version Downloaded in my SD Card ( along with many others) I agree with Harry it does have more of a sweet spot in the middle unfortunately I missed out on the Original A&M CD version so I can't comment on that one but it was one of the first 2 TJB albums I Ever heard as a child thanks to my parents owning it on vinyl.and it's still an EXCELLENT album from start to finish.

An excellent TJB album. (fourth on my list of TJB lps). Not sure why Alpert included one "draggy ballad hit of the day" on so many lps, but "It Was A Very Good Year" was a "very bad selection" for this (or any other) album. Other than that, it's a darn good album. My second favorite tune from this lp is "Freckles". My favorite song on WNML would be "Memories Of Madrid" (Sol Lake was so good!!!)

Not sure why Alpert included one "draggy ballad hit of the day" on so many lps, but "It Was A Very Good Year" was a "very bad selection" for this (or any other) album.
I'm not too fond of the tune, no matter who does it, so I tend to tune that one out when it comes on. I am sort of lukewarm on "Cantina Blue" as well, but otherwise I like all of the remaining tracks on this one. The vinyl reissue has a very nice sound to it as well. :thumbsup:

The newest version is right in the sweet spot in the middle and I think Randy deserves kudos for getting it right.

WHAT NOW MY LOVE was always my favorite classic Tijuana Brass album and it's good to have it get such a good treatment.
Agreed as i mentioned previously

When I first became a TJB fan, I was only interested in the uptempo stuff - I don't know why, but that was why I didn't think much of the Summertime album upon first listens. "It Was a Very Good Year" falls into that category of "slow tunes" that I didn't used to like but have found appreciation for.

That said, "Very Good Year" will probably never be in my list of top favorites. I think my favorite feature of it is the trombone work, but I don't think I've ever included it on any of my many TJB compilations.

I like this album quite a lot, but then I like all of them.

My favorites are Memories of Madrid and So What's New.

I am not a big fan of It Was A Very Good Year as a song....like mentioned above - no matter who does it. The only thing I pay much attention to in that song is the trumpet solo part, which I think is handled in classic Herb Alpert style and sound...without that, it is a pretty forgettable tune.

To me, this album is an interesting transition between Going Places and SRO.

Is the song "The Shadow Of Your Smile" ends at 3:29 or does it have another 10 more seconds at the end of the song?? Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The original tan album version has 10 seconds more of the song "The Shadow Of Your Smile" at the end!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The original tan album version has 10 seconds more of the song "The Shadow Of Your Smile" at the end!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Not really. They are at a slightly different speed making one about three seconds longer than the other. The bigger difference is between the Wet LP and the CD versions. The wet version has Herb's lead trumpet way off in the distance with a lot of reverb, whereas the dry CD has him much more upfront.

Not really. They are at a slightly different speed making one about three seconds longer than the other. The bigger difference is between the Wet LP and the CD versions. The wet version has Herb's lead trumpet way off in the distance with a lot of reverb, whereas the dry CD has him much more upfront.
Very true I noticed the same Sonics on Rise Herb Used a lot of reverb there too as well as his lead trumpet was off in the distance to me Both albums had that quality and that gave his trumpet a real strong sound in my opinion

Back
Top Bottom